What's new

Obsession For Men

That's fascinating. Wonder if it'll effect sales of Obsession. There must be something about the fragrance construction that is very . . . natural? Note to self: do not wear Obsession while on safari.

Thanks for posting this azmark! I thought it was an amazing article. Also, amazing how many minor errors in it. I hate reading news articles on anything I know anything about. It scares me for the rest of what I read!

Just curious, ackvil and King Bongo, how old are your wives?

Mine is younger than me, but old enough to have been in the prime of Obsession's heyday in the late 1980's and early 1990's when she was in high school and college. She loves the stuff, and while I think it's OK, if it wasn't for her I doubt I'd own any.

I read enough disparaging remarks leveled at the fragrance that are variants of "Maybe it was good in the 80's, but it's so dated now" that I wonder if it's universally despised by the younger set.

I've seen that article before. Interesting read, but I'm not much of an Obsession fan, so it doesn't matter to me one way or the other.

No offense to you guys but I hate Obsession. In the 80s and 90s, it seemed like every creepy guy I met wore it. It was like there was some silent message that went out to these guys: splash on the Obsession! It doesn't seem to be as common these days, but when I catch a whiff of it I still get a kind of Ted Haggard vibe. Or the main character in "The Vanishing."

Last edited:
Just curious, ackvil and King Bongo, how old are your wives?

Mine is younger than me, but old enough to have been in the prime of Obsession's heyday in the late 1980's and early 1990's when she was in high school and college. She loves the stuff, and while I think it's OK, if it wasn't for her I doubt I'd own any.

I read enough disparaging remarks leveled at the fragrance that are variants of "Maybe it was good in the 80's, but it's so dated now" that I wonder if it's universally despised by the younger set.

My wife is 61 - but looks and acts like she is 40! She is a knockout. I tried Trumper's Sandalwood and she likes that, also. :biggrin1:

That stuff had to be one of the all time long lasting colognes there was. Seemed like shirts would come out the wash still smelling like it. I wish my Acqua de Gio had that kind of staying power

Scent associations are funny things. I don't know why, but the smell of Brut used to make me almost hostile...I think because way back when some guy I really disliked used it. Now I don't have the strong negative reaction, but I just can't bring myself to wear it unless it's a stunt at home to annoy the wife.

Perhaps Obsession will have to wait for another decade or so for the initial users to get out of circulation, and then the younger set will only associate it with jolly old Grandpa, if they recall it at all.

Hey, it happened to Old Spice!

As far as the cat family is concerned ...

In the 80's I trapped for part of my livelihood (boo, hiss), and while bobcats are common I didn't devote a lot of effort to them because they are so moody and unpredictable. I caught a few, all in traps set specifically for them, but I didn't waste a lot of time chasing ghosts. What makes this appropriate here is that I had no success with commercial "lures" (critter colognes) and I started developing my own attractants. In the process I learned a little about scents and blending them.

Cats seem to be attracted to food (least important in this circumstance, in fact it's not worth pursuing), sex (depends on their mood), and curiosity (best bet for day in, day out, if there's something more deeply interesting to go with it). I based my cat scents on the latter two - a civit, lynx or similar musk as the backbone, and several scents on extreme ends of the scale to make them take time to puzzle it out. Sex does indeed sell, but it must remain mysterious to attract anything other than a female in heat (and even then, you have to be the right tomcat). You must be very careful with the pecking order if you're using feline musks and not present the scent of a more dominant member of the species except as a trace. Innocent fuzzy little housecat works as both a sex and a food scent. Sorry, the truth is ugly sometimes. The more time spent around a set trap, the better the chance of a catch. I did my best to balance both strength and longevity of the essentials, mostly by trial, error, and my own nose. There are some bitter scents like valerian that work as a miniscule, ephemeral component, and some obvious attractants like catnip and other mints that are good as a major component. The cat-likable scent gets them to investigate, the cat-sweet scents gets them closer, and the traces of oddities makes them linger.

I shudder at the thought that human "cougars" in the modern cultural sense of the word would be compulsively attracted to a scent of this construct. But, you must realize that I'm knocking on 60's door, and a cougar to me would be in her 70's or 80's. Money ain't everything. Raquel still looks pretty good, though, and I hear she's still got most of her loot. :lol:

Now, to try to combine the two regions of life if you're willing cougar-bait. You can forget food, she can catch better herself. As for sex, the smell of a younger woman makes her hungry, and if she finds her she will kill her and eat her. Intrigue is your best approach, but you have to keep switching it to keep her interested. In the end it is do, or do not do. There is no try.

And in the end, she will kill and eat you, too. Such is the cat.

(I hope this isn't too over-the-top for this forum, I'm still learning the culture.)

I dunno if it's too over the top, but I'm not going to sleep well at all tonight...Have to keep an eye on the killing beast I apparently normally slumber next too...:scared:

Scent associations are funny things. I don't know why, but the smell of Brut used to make me almost hostile...I think because way back when some guy I really disliked used it. Now I don't have the strong negative reaction, but I just can't bring myself to wear it unless it's a stunt at home to annoy the wife.

Scent forms some of our strongest memories. I acquired Dunhill Edition in a trade and I was completely put off of it because a note in the scent reminded me of a perfume one of my ex-girlfriend's wore, which I didn't like, and I could never get past it so the scent never got much of a shot and off it went.

That's why I never like to wear scents that are too popular, the last thing you want on a first date is to bring up memories of the girl's ex, be they good or bad ones.

I suppose that it may be a warning not to make bad memories while wearing your favorite scent, be it aftershave or cologne.

As someone who was born in the year Obsession came out, sorry to date all of you :tongue_sm , I can almost guarantee that most of those reviews are from scent formed memories. My generation is drowned in Aqua di Gio and Axe "scents" so my nose is pretty worn out on anything that smells similar, I assume that's why previous generations have such remarks for Obsession for Men. To me, the scent conjures up no ill memories and I quite liked it, I've come very close to buying it, on the cheap on fleabay, actually.

Last edited:
I suppose that it may be a warning not to make bad memories while wearing your favorite scent, be it aftershave or cologne.

I'm at the age that trying to remember what I was wearing (or more importantly, what SHE was wearing) is pointless. On the other hand, she probably can't remember either although women are better at faking that than men.

Just one more reason that I'm lucky I'm happily married. I tell you, it's a meat market out there. :001_smile

Top Bottom