What's new

Whats the scoop on slanted DEs?

How does a shave with a slanted head differ from a regular one? Basically...what is the purpose of a slanted head and what is it supposed to accomplish?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Think of a Guillotine compared to a headmans axe, with a slanted blade as opposed to cutting straight through.

The slant theoretically slices as it cuts.

It's a Guillotine for your whiskers.

Last edited:
So a good tool for stubborn whiskers? I am trying to experiment with a shaving tool that can be used on my face that will eliminate the need for ATG passes. ATG for me lately has been painful. I actually think that DE shaving has substantially thickened my whiskers to the point where I need to make more aggressive and pressured passes to look "shaved". And the regrowth of those hairs is much much quicker. I kid yall not....I am starting to show 5 o clock shadow by noon everyday now.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
So a good tool for stubborn whiskers? I am trying to experiment with a shaving tool that can be used on my face that will eliminate the need for ATG passes. ATG for me lately has been painful. I actually think that DE shaving has substantially thickened my whiskers to the point where I need to make more aggressive and pressured passes to look "shaved". And the regrowth of those hairs is much much quicker. I kid yall not....I am starting to show 5 o clock shadow by noon everyday now.

Some folks love the slant. You might give it a try if you think you'd like it. I think it's a fine razor.

It's a scientifically undisputable fact that shaving doesn't make hair thicker or grow faster. It does cut the hair at the surface, not below the surface like a cart does.

If you have dark hair and a fairer complexion, it can look like there is stubble even before you can feel it.

For some, the stubble when growing out looks quite dark by the time you can feel it.

The slant virtually does both WTG and XTG in a single pass. It's one of the few razors I can get BBS in two passes as opposed to the usual three.

The slant virtually does both WTG and XTG in a single pass. It's one of the few razors I can get BBS in two passes as opposed to the usual three.

I found it to be the case as well. I can get just a close shave with most other razors, it just takes more strokes and in some cases an extra pass.

Just used my new 37C tonight, so don't take my evidence too seriously! Been wetshaving for about 8 months, and using an 11C for about 6 of those. I always experience a lot of pain, tugging and ingrowns when attempting ATG on my neck and under-jaw, as the hair is more wiry and grows more parallel to the surface. So it's been XTG-only down there for a while.

Now with the slat loaded with a humble Derby I can gently plow right through, ATG! No irritation/redness all all. The slight scything motion did the trick for me. I was very surprised at the difference it made. Another added benefit is that I didn't need to buff as much on my chin & upper lip to get the same smoothness as with the 11C.

I'm now looking to using this guy for a few weeks to really get the hang of it.

A buddy of mine told me to try out a slant razor.

He said, "Don't try to understand it. Just buy it and use it like you would use any other safety razor. You'll see how well it works."

He was right.

I like my modern Merkur slant so much I bought a vintage one this morning. That way I can now have two slants in my rotation.

Y'all aren't gonna be happy until I buy a damned slant, are ya?

Yep... you should get one. You'll (hopefully) love it. I've owned 4 slants and have liked them all!

Aside from the 'slice' of the cut... IMO, the coolest thing is how the blade sits on your face with the safety bar and the angle I use with it. More of a broad blade gap...

Besides Merkur, who else manufactures a slanted type razor?

I was checking out the Merkur at it appears to be very substantial and even bulkier than the 34c HD. How a about a light-weight slant? That would be the ticket for me.

Besides Merkur, who else manufactures a slanted type razor?

I was checking out the Merkur at it appears to be very substantial and even bulkier than the 34c HD. How a about a light-weight slant? That would be the ticket for me.

Merkur is the only one today.
If you go vintage I think there is a few more possibilities.

I just love the slant.
The 39C is for me the ultimate DE.

Using a slant to cut the beard is really pre-dated by woodworkers planing wood. On difficult wood - the wood grain is not all nice and neat in one direction or dense - taking the cut at a slant can help a lot. It's more of a slicing action. Especially I find planing end grain on a slant to be useful. And what is a beard but end grain? :001_smile

But you don't need a slant razor to find out if it's for you. Turn your regular razor. I've seen old instructions say just that?

I'm pretty sure if I had a slant razor, I would turn it till it got straight. :huh:

-jim

I ain't no expert, but it seems to me that if one holds the razor (any razor) on an angled bias to the direction your beard grows and pull down, the same condition would be accomplished as a slant razor. I shave this way and it works great.

I offer the following as evidence:

If you have ever used a plane on a piece of lumber, one knows to cut on an angle rather than pushing the plane straight on. Pushing the plane at a slight angle cuts much smoother and cleaner.

Just one guy's opinion.

But you don't need a slant razor to find out if it's for you. Turn your regular razor. I've seen old instructions say just that?

I'm pretty sure if I had a slant razor, I would turn it till it got straight. :huh:

Check out the two threads I linked above. I'm pretty sure that a Merkur Slant imparts a helical twist to the blade that cannot be reproduced with the "Gillette Slide" or other such effort using a simpler DE design. Not that the Gillette Slide isn't useful -- it is -- but it's not the same thing as using a Slant.

EDIT: you too, Lightnin'. :smile:

Top Bottom