What's new

Gillette Black Beauty - Where's the Plastic?

i was reading the thread about sterilizing a gillette adjustable, and i kept seeing warnings about how boiling would melt the plastic parts.
Where's the plastic? i don't see any on mine. the handles show some silver where the paint wore off a bit, is that not metal?

Never owned one but black beauties are black on the bottom of the head and have black handles. All black handle adjustables (and SS's) are plastic, not just the black beauty.

Never owned one but black beauties are black on the bottom of the head and have black handles. All black handle adjustables (and SS's) are plastic, not just the black beauty.

Actually, earlier black handled adjustables have metal bottom plates. Also, I have a black handled super speed which shows that the black is just a coating over metal.

The later Super 109's had a plastic adjustment "bar" vs. the metal ones in earlier models. If you want to "sterilize" one, just use some Barbicide. It's safe for plastic and metal.

The later Super 109's had a plastic adjustment "bar" vs. the metal ones in earlier models. If you want to "sterilize" one, just use some Barbicide. It's safe for plastic and metal.

I have an early 70's model and the handle is black anodized aluminum I thought. Base plate is metal.

Actually, earlier black handled adjustables have metal bottom plates. Also, I have a black handled super speed which shows that the black is just a coating over metal.

I've always wondered about the handles with the cross-hatch pattern (like the picture above)! Didn't know they were metal :blushing: -- thanks for the clarification! All my black handles have the vertical grooves and are plastic.

I recently received a formerly black handled super speed.
proxy.php

And I'm not sure, but I think even my melted ones I have are metal. It sure looks like it was plastic and melted off, and I thought it was plastic until recently, but the stuff conducts electricity, so I believe it was just a cheap metal with a low melting point.

Last edited:
Interesting. I guess the only way to be sure is to hold them. My plastic handles are very noticably head-heavy balanced. I like the head-heavy feel and both my short black handle adjustable and black handle SS are two of my favorite razors to use.

my '69 short handled super adjustable and my '74 and '76 black handled super speeds are all metal. Handles are metal, presumably black anodized aluminum.

Aluminum melts at around 1200 degrees. If your handles melted in a house fire, it would not be hard for it to be plenty hot enough to melt aluminum.

It was hot enough to melt some copper onto a dime. At any rate, I found the answer I was looking for from a response by Asylum Guido in this thread.
He says they're resin coated metal.

+1 on the "resin coated metal"

I got one in a lot one time that somehow had a hole burnt in it from what looked to be an electrical arc. Looked like some kind of funky pot metal under the black coated handle.

yup, that's the one i've got. upon further experimenting, the metal handle is a pretty soft alloy. i was able to shave a bit off with my pocket knife.

Was it a penny? Because if it was a penny after 1982, it's one of those cursed "Zincies". Us elongated penny people hate them.

If "elongated penny people" means what I think it means, then my 7 yo daughter is one of you. If it doesn't mean putting a penny on a train track, then carry on!

-jim

Top Bottom