What's new

the golden nib

hey,
im just about to restore an old brush. it should get a 24mm the golden nib knot. but which? whats the difference between super badger and silvertip? and silvertip grade a? or should i get the uk silvertip?

help me please, cause im pretty new to this!

I would search through this very forum timo...tons of information about brush restorations and the different knots...I've been hearing good things about the UK silvertip in 24mm...but at close to $50..WOW. The finest and the silvertip grade A are lovely knots, I've tried them both myself.

I just set a 24 mm Finest with extra hair knot at 50 mm and it is a monster. A nice soft knot with a good amount of backbone.

It's a heck of a nice knot for the money and the folks at TGN are awesome. I ordered two knots on Friday and they were waiting for me when I got home from work on Monday. All I can say is give them a call if you have questions.

You definately can't go wrong w/ a Finest Fan shape. As said before, they have great backbone and luxuriously soft tips. Shoot Tony a e-mail and I'm sure he will gladly answer any questions you might have. Good luck and Welcome to B&B!!

hey, thanks for your help! i think ill stick to a finest or the grade a silvertip. i dont want a chubby brush since i've got one allready.

They just added a "shortened loft" 24mm Silvertip that looks REALLY interesting to me. I've got one in the mail already. I'll let you know what I think when it gets here. The UK silvertip is a nice knot. It's VERY densely packed and quite soft. So it's "that kind" of knot (basically a high end hair densely packed knot). It lacks the scrubbiness you get from the two bands, best, pure and boar knots, because the hair itself is floppy, it's just packed super dense to give it backbone. Pressing it to my face is like lathering with a velvet cloth or a very soft sponge. It lathers very well, but doesn't dig into soaps like the lower grade hairs do, so with triple milled soaps it may take a few extra swirls to load the brush (and you should wet the puck when you are soaking the brush).

If you want a $175+ Silvertip brush, it's a very nice and much more affordable alternative. It's not the same type of brush as the two bands though. They are much more like Best hair, just with softer tips.

I wouldn't get rid of my 2 band finest or my UK silvertip. They are very different knots, but both are great.

Last edited:
Top Bottom