What's new

My husband

Hi!

I'm not here for me, but my husband. Shaving was always a problem for him and I'm trying to give him the tools to help himself since he thinks nothing more can be done.

I heard using a brush can help in his case... :confused1 Father's day coming and I would like to offer him something to help him.

So, if you don't mind, I will describe his situation and I would love if you could give me your input. After all, I never had to shave my face ;)

He's around 35 years old. Since he's been a teenager, acne has always been a problem. As a teen, it was severe and even meds didn't fix it entirely. His skin is very sensitive, he can't shave everyday unless he wants to look like he did it with a cheese grater. He's using a Gilette Fusion Power, which he says helped a little. A generic Gilette shaving cream for sensitive skin and Nivea Extreme Comfort balm as a aftershave. He's always shaving right after the shower, while the air in the bathroom is still hot and humid.

The result is not so bad, as long as he doesn't shave more than twice a week. Even then, small red bumps or white pimples are common. They happen a lot more if he shave more frequently or too rough.

That's all I can think of right now... Any thought, suggestions?

Thanks!

So, there is a school of thought that the "lift and cut" action of the multiblade cartridge razors causes the bumps and ingrown hairs. I would consider getting him a nice brush and even try a DE razor. Many folks find relief after trying the DE instead of the cartridge razor "systems". The brush and a good shaving soap, like Proraso Sensitive with Tea Tree and Aloe is really good for sensitive skin. The Proraso Pre-Shave is great as well, and the Proraso ASB is also good for sensitive skin.

Edwin Jagger makes a nice DE razor that is gentle, on both the face and the pocketbook.

As an aside, I think it is a really nice gesture that you have found our little corner of the web, and are doing this for your husband. He is a lucky man!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

I would recommend having a look at the FAQ, it should help.

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/FAQ

I don't have much love for the fusion. A double edge (DE) shafety razor should help him. There are plenty available in the Buy/Sell/Trade section of this forum (BST).

A razor blade sample pack is good with the razor and maybe a shaving brush with a shaving soap or shaving cream. His Aftershave should be fine.

So, there is a school of thought that the "lift and cut" action of the multiblade cartridge razors causes the bumps and ingrown hairs. I would consider getting him a nice brush and even try a DE razor. Many folks find relief after trying the DE instead of the cartridge razor "systems". The brush and a good shaving soap, like Proraso Sensitive with Tea Tree and Aloe is really good for sensitive skin. The Proraso Pre-Shave is great as well, and the Proraso ASB is also good for sensitive skin.

Edwin Jagger makes a nice DE razor that is gentle, on both the face and the pocketbook.

As an aside, I think it is a really nice gesture that you have found out little corner of the web, and are doing this for your husband. He is a lucky man!

+1

Let me also suggest a nice Gillette Tech (DE Razor) from the BST and some Van Der Hagen (VDH) soap from your local Walmart or Walgreen's. Both are usually inexpensive and work well.

Hello, and Welcome to B&B.

I, too, suffered with acne, and after discovering wet shaving, it's all but gone. Here's why the multiblade cartridges don't work for someone with your husband's skin condition:

1. Multiblade cartridges promote ingrown hairs.

When a hair is cut with a single blade, that's the story of that hair, at least for that pass. When a multiblade cartridge is involved, those superfluous blades mash and grind the hair back into the skin causing ingrown hairs. I would even go so far as to say that some of your husband's acne might not actually be acne, but rather ingrown hairs. In any event, if it were acne, multiple blades made from mediocre steel will only exacerbate the problem. Instead, an investment in a quality double edged razor and good blades will allow for better results via one very sharp blade versus 4-6 not so sharp ones.

2. Using a brush and a quality soap/cream will make all the difference in the world.

Of all the newbies I've talked to, I have said that the brush is the most indispensable part of the wet shaver's getup. It gently exfoliates the skin, distributes lather easily, and most importantly, lifts the hairs perpendicular to the skin so they can be cut cleanly. By using a brush and ditching the canned goo, your husband will take a very important step toward clearing his skin up.

3. Take care of the skin after the shave.

The Nivea Balm your husband uses is a good product, but for something to really soothe his sensitive skin, consider a witch hazel product, or something not alcohol-based that will provide relief post shave.

To list the products necessary would be mind-boggling; there are just too many good ones out there. Look for the vendors in the "Shopping and deals" section of the forum. They are all good quality.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
If your husband considers making the change, I suggest that you get him a nice soft brush and a Tub of Proraso White.
It's for sensitive skin.
Let him continue to use the Fusion for a while till he develops the skill to make a good lather and knows how to use the brush.

When he is settled in with the brush and lather, he can make a razor change to a Gillette Tech or Superspeed, so he is only learning one thing at a time.

I agree he can have much better shaves by NOT using the canned goop shaving cream, but a quality cream like Proraso and a brush.

The final step to happy sailing would be a good vintage Razor.
Please do ask questions if you have them.

Last edited:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Sounds ouchy.

1) better prep (like shaving after shower so the water gets into the whiskers making them easier to shave and leaving soap on his face for at least two minutes and putting a hottish wash cloth on the face . . . ) helps.

2) DE shaving helps with ingrown hairs . . . maybe not the issue at hand

3) Shaving with light pressure . . . this will help but . . .

4) main issue if I read this right . . . acne and bumps . . . from what I've read here . . . there are many people who have benefited from an oil cleansing treatment . . . involves putting a mixture of Olive oil and castor oil on the face and then steaming . . . seems to work for many people on here and my wife. The other thing is perhaps consulting a dermatologist . . . perhaps get the skin condition under control.

On the matter of brushes . . .

New brushes have a breaking in period . . . when brand new the tips of the brushes are a bit sharp . . . So a new brush is probably not an instant fix . . . perhaps a nylon brush . . .

Soap . . . and other stuff after shaving . . . I'd rinse well and use basic stuff . . . drug store brand witch hazel and . . I like a few but most available is Aqua Velva ice blue. And once comfort is achieved . . . well try the 3000 other wonderful scents . . . and if you like any send me a heads up so I can try them too.

I hope I helped

Mike

Welcome to B&B! The higher end specialty creams and soaps will defiantly help sensitive skin. His problem can also be those disposable multi-blade razors giving him ingrowns as they yank and cut cause the hairs to recess back under the skin... causing irritation, ingrown hairs, and acne. A de (double edge) razor cuts at the surface not under the skin line and gives bbs (baby butt smooth) shaves. It's all about technique and will only get better with time. Best of luck! If ya have any questions just ask, great group of guys here.

I don't have much advice to give that hasn't already been offered. I just wanted to say that I thought it was a great idea for a fathers-day present, and a very nice sentiment to put this much effort into researching it for him. Welcome to B&B. It would seem that a good brush, and some nice shaving cream is in order.A DE razor would most certainly help too. You may not hit the nail on the head the first time round with soap and after-treatments. It may take some experimenting before he finds the right combination that works for his skin. But get a nice brush, and from there on in at least your going to be going in the right direction.

If you don't mind giving him something that was pre-owned there are starter kits that pop up in the buy and sell section semi-frequently that would be a good start, and are typically great deals. Maybe somebody can even help you and put something together specifically for him? If you want to buy new things where are you from? A member more experienced than I would certainly volunteer to help you pick out some pieces of kit from an online store in your country.

Also have him watch this series of videos http://www.youtube.com/user/mantic59?blend=1&ob=4 He's got several good points that could help, and demonstrations on how to use brushes, soap, and DE's. Then get him to setup a profile here. I've learned more here in the last few days than in 5 years of shaving.

Last edited:
Allow me to elaborate. The link to Mantic's youtube channel was a good idea:
http://www.youtube.com/user/mantic59?blend=1&ob=4

Either send your husband there, or here. Because just buying him the double-edged safety razor will only help if he learns how to use it. I concur with those recommending the Gillette Tech, as it is very simple and very mild, however, LuvMySuper makes the key point. Have your husband change one variable at a time. I learned how to do the brush/soap first. It sounds like your husband would benefit most from the DE, but that's only if he already knows how to make lather. Otherwise difficulties with one will make it even harder to learn the other.

As far as soap recommendations, you could hear thousands of different ideas here, so allow me to narrow it down. Van Der Hagen is available locally, which makes it easier to get, but I agree with LuvMySuper: Proraso White is made for sensitive skin, is very affordable, and is high quality. It is the safest place to start.

FWIW: I've had huge improvements in my own acne since moving away from the Fusion and the Gel. I attribute this to fewer blades/less irritation, no lubrication strip with pore-clogging goo, no gel with pore-clogging goo, the exfoliating action of the brush and the nice soaps I use in place of the gel.

Last edited:
Hello & welcome to B&B Lady_Aristiana,
You already have gotten great advice from some great folks here...I will only follow it up by stressing that acne is a condition that occurs due to the overproduction of oil by the oil glands of the skin. The oil that normally lubricates the skin gets trapped in blocked oil ducts and results in what we know as pimples, blackheads, and whiteheads on the surface of skin. This leads to ineffective ability of the skin to "breathe (for lack of a better word). And when skin cannot breathe, it cannot effectively get rid of dead cells/bacteria and/or toxins.

What he needs to do is keep skin clean...gentle cleansing will get rid of this problem (often better than medication). There are several products that I recommend:

1. Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash (Whole Foods carries it for $10 and Vitacost.com carries it for $7.30)...Have him do it twice a day or at the very least at night before bed. He will feel refreshed.

2. Alba Organics Advanced Sea Mineral Cleansing Gel (I got my wife's from Vitacost.com for $5.84)...similar to #1 above

These are gentle cleansers that remove dead cells and excess oil from face and let it breathe.

The next step is optional and probably used after 2-3 weeks or so (since your husband's skin is probably oily anyways):

What he may want to do is follow it up with a natural moisturizer to give the skin the essential oils that may have gotten stripped off...For this, I use either Trumper's moisturizer, NancyBoy replenishing facial moisturizer or Dr. Hauschka's Quince creme (Sshhhh...this is what my wife uses and I sometimes steal it from her...a bit $$, but worth every penny :thumbup1:).

Note that it may take a few weeks before seeing any "consistent" results, but you should see and feel them very quickly. Both my wife and I use this and we both love it.

Give it a go and see what happens.

-Robert

Hi!

I'm not here for me, but my husband. Shaving was always a problem for him and I'm trying to give him the tools to help himself since he thinks nothing more can be done.

I heard using a brush can help in his case... :confused1 Father's day coming and I would like to offer him something to help him.

So, if you don't mind, I will describe his situation and I would love if you could give me your input. After all, I never had to shave my face ;)

He's around 35 years old. Since he's been a teenager, acne has always been a problem. As a teen, it was severe and even meds didn't fix it entirely. His skin is very sensitive, he can't shave everyday unless he wants to look like he did it with a cheese grater. He's using a Gilette Fusion Power, which he says helped a little. A generic Gilette shaving cream for sensitive skin and Nivea Extreme Comfort balm as a aftershave. He's always shaving right after the shower, while the air in the bathroom is still hot and humid.

The result is not so bad, as long as he doesn't shave more than twice a week. Even then, small red bumps or white pimples are common. They happen a lot more if he shave more frequently or too rough.

That's all I can think of right now... Any thought, suggestions?

Thanks!

I concur with those recommending the Gillette Tech, as it is very simple and very mild, however, LuvMySuper makes the key point. Have your husband change one variable at a time. I learned how to do the brush/soap first.

+1. I started using a brush and soap a month or so before I got my Tech. Just paying more attention to beard prep with my Mach3 helped my skin tremendously.

Good luck, hope your husband likes the Father's Day gift :001_smile

The fellows above gave great advice. :thumbup1: Welcome to B&B.

You sound like a wonderful wife to be so thoughtful.

There's plenty of great advice already here and I know the gents will keep you headed in the right direction so I'll simply say welcome and good luck.

Your take-away should be that there's no magic solution - a new razor by itself won't do much and unless he commits to learning new skills might make things worse. The learning curve on a DE is a couple months long in many cases.

A new brush and quality cream will definitely help, though. As a bonus, a lot of our artisan soapmakers here offer creams with amazing scents - it's a real 'pick me up' in the morning to be surrounded by clouds of lavendar or sanddalwood!

Thank you for all your advice, it was quick, I'm very impressed!

I decided, after reading your advices, to go with the brush and soap. Once he will be convinced it works, we'll talk about the razor!

I'm left with a question, though. I saw, (before talking to you, gentleman) that brush sometimes come with a stand and a bowl... Is it necessary?

Thanks again!

PS: For those who were assuming where I was living or asking, I'm in Canada, not the US. So I will order online for this time and look around locally after.

A stand and bowl are not totally necessary. Some like to use the bowl to make their lather, but I think it's easier just to apply the shaving cream directly to the brush and then go straight to my face, wetting the brush as needed. It will take some practice to figure out how to properly make lather.

The stand for the brush is usually to hang it upside down so that the water does not go down into the handle area when drying. I think this was to prevent water getting near the glue that holds the bristles in, but I don't think it's really necessary any more. I used a brush for quite a while with no stand and never had a problem with it. Just make sure to squeeze the water out of the brush and shake it out when you're done so that it's relatively dry.

We fall all over ourselves when a lady asks for some advice:blush:

Excellent choice to start with a brush and soap.

A brush stand with drip bowl is not necessary. The brush will dry just fine if rinsed of all soap and shaken out well, then set bristles up on the flat end of the handle.

Your husband may want to use a bowl to build lather, although that also is not really necessary. Many of us build the lather right on our face.

It does take some experimentation to produce quality lather, but worth the effort.

Good luck and best wishes.

I'm not making a recommendation, just asking a question: Has he tried an electric?

He might try the Bump Fighter, which I got at CVS. Helps keep the blade a bit away from the skin. It was very comfortable for me, but I didn't get very many shaves per cartridge. Maybe his experience would be different. He doesn't need the handle if he already has a Trac II handle, although the Bump Fighter handle is pretty good.

Another option, almost as comfortable, is the Personna-bladed disposables available at Dollar Tree, 12 for $1, but every fiber of my being protests against the cheap disposable plastic.

Last edited:
Top Bottom