What's new

Aloxite hone and Panama hone grit sizes?

Hey fellas,

I have an aloxite hone made by the Carborondum Hone Company and I was curious as to what grit size you think it might be. I'm fairly sure it's a finishing hone by the way it puts a velvet edge on my razors, but I've also read that powdered aloxite powder is about 10,000 or so. Where would you place the grit?

Also, I have a combination or 2 stage Panama hone. It has a beige water stone that creates a slurry that's a ringer for a Japanese 8k grit stone's slurry, so I'm guessing the grit's somewhere around there. However, the other side is a strange type of brown stone. It feels like glass, but I suspect that it's a lower grit than the beige side. It will sharpen up a razor, but not quite to a shaving sharpness. I think it's a natural stone too, because it has a definite grain to it, along with waves and swirls. I've never seen anything like this, but would love to hear from you guys if you've come across something like I'm describing.

After fooling around a little bit, it seems the ceramic side of the Panama hone puts the ultimate edge on my razors. It seems the natural stone side of the Panama is a little bit higher grit than the Aloxite, but I think the Aloxite needs to be lapped to get rid of some pock marks on it. One other thing I discovered was that Aloxite is harder than glass. I tried using a glass bottle to smooth it out, and ended up with a glass powder embedded hone.

Top Bottom