What's new

Another newbie and a question

Hi all,

Another newbie. I have decided to take the plunge into wet shaving and based on advice from this forum have have acquired (it's on the way) a Gillette 1956 Super Speed (apparently a good starter razor), a silver tip badger brush (also en-route), Bigelow Premium Shave Cream, and an pretty cool bowl from a local antique shop. My next question, what actual blade should I go with and any further advice would be really appreciated as that which I've already received. Thanks to all.

Regards,
Reddragon317 aka Michael

Welcome, Michael. We typically suggest you try a sampler. One from westcoastshaving, for instance. I have had good luck with derby and feather blades, but others will have different experiences. With the sampler, you can find out which one works best for you.

Welcome, Michael. We typically suggest you try a sampler. One from westcoastshaving, for instance. I have had good luck with derby and feather blades, but others will have different experiences. With the sampler, you can find out which one works best for you.

The above is probably the best advice that can be given for a starter in DE shaving. Each face and beard is different, and what works well for one, does not always work for another.

Just one more word of advice, Do not expect perfection on the first try. The Manly Art of Shaving is just that, and technique needs to be practiced and developed. Sounds like you are off to a good start,.

:shaving:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Great advice above.
Remember -
Go Slow
Proper Angle
No pressure

Welcome to B&B!

Don't be shy about asking questions, this ain't yer average forum that flames folks for asking questions.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

+1 on the razor blade sample pack

Thanks for the nice welcomes and advice. I will definitely check out the sample packs. Thanks again.

Regards,
Michael

Welcome to B&B!

And +2 on the sample pack. I'm still working my way through my sample and have pretty much decided on two I will continue to use. It was great to be able to read the experience others have had with the many brands out there and relate some of that with what I was trying.

It sounds like your off to a great start. Good luck and keep us posted on how things are going.:thumbup1:

+3 on the sampler pack. I continue to be surprised at the difference in blades. Having read a lot of the posts, it is apparent to me that what works for me, may be poison for you.

Welcome to B&B!

I also agree on the sample pack. As I still continue to work through the huge one I got, I'm amazed at the diversity. All razors, faces and blades don't necessarily go well together.

I could have started with only one brand myself, but the sampler showed me the error of that line of thinking. If you unknowingly chose the wrong one as your learner blade you could potentially have the worst opinion of DE shaving, not to mention unnecessary blood loss.

Welcome to B&B! Another recommendation on a sampler pack since one blade may be the ticket for you and it may eat the skin right off the face of someone else. Certain razors are also picky about blades as far as performance. It's one of the classic YMMV.

I've only used Derbys, and they've worked well for me. But of course YMMV. As was stated earlier, the most important thing to remember when you start shaving with a DE is to have the correct angle and use no pressure. I knew that when I started, but I didn't heed that advice well enough. It's very easy to NOT do it right, but it's really not much harder to take your time and use proper technique. Also, don't go over the same spot over and over again without re-lathering. Save yourself a sore face!

Hello and welcome. Keep an open mind till you find what works best for you but try as many products as your budget allows, it's a lot of fun.

Welcome and go for the sampler pack. What you may find is that the blades you thought were NG when you began, became great after you perfected your shave.

Top Bottom