What's new

back from the jeweler

2 of my last purchase are comming back from the jeweller where they're be silverplated with 925 silver .it was not cheap but the guy made a great job .
full

full

full

the pics before :
full

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice looking razors now.

I'm curious too, what about oxidation? I get to polish the family silver around the holiday season, and it's not a task I eagerly look forward to.

Tiffany sells a DE razor. Wonder if it's .925....
Edit: It's a cartridge carrier. It is silver and $500!

Last edited:
Nice looking razors now.

I'm curious too, what about oxidation? I get to polish the family silver around the holiday season, and it's not a task I eagerly look forward to.
Oxidation makes it sound like rust. Call it Patina, and its worth twice as much on Antiques Roadshow.

There is little oxidation if the silver-plated item is used frequently. Silver plating is nice-looking and benign, except to some bacteria.

To the OP, congratulations on a very nice razor. If it is kept out of photo-chemical smog, it should require very little polishing. Don't leave it on the front porch in the Southeastern USA.

Silver doesn't oxidize, it tarnishes by combining with sulfur in the air producing silver sulfide. It's a chemical reaction that doesn't change the physical property of the metal (like rust does). That's why you can use the aluminum foil method to clean tarnished silver; it recombines the sulfur into a different compound (aluminum sulfide, I believe), while leaving the elemental silver behind.

To the OP: your jeweler did a great job. Enjoy the shave! If you are not going to use it often and want to prevent it from tarnishing, polish it with something like 3M's TarniShield, which is non-abrasive and provides a thin coating to protest the silver.

Sterling Silver

925 means the plating is 92.5% pure silver mixed with other metals, usually copper.

is that an industry standard, or just in a range that allows it to be called sterling? i was under the impression that sterling had a lower silver content, closer to 80%. i could be dreaming though...:001_rolle

you have the complete explanation in the link i provide but it's in french ,still you can use a translator .here's artplating 's diagram about silver :
proxy.php

Top Bottom