What's new

Omega 10072 destruction and transformation

I purchased this brush basically for the knot. While the brush did look nice it has a hollow handle.

So this is what I did. I designed and purchased a handle turned by Rudy Vey and the rest is as follows.

The starting brush.
proxy.php

I used a Dremel cutting disk to gently cut the black portion holding the knot.
proxy.php

The bottom then just popped off, but I kept it in place long enough to cut down the opposite side.
proxy.php

Then I took a screwdriver to pry it apart.
proxy.php

This exposed the glued knot that was tapered.
proxy.php

The anatomy of the brush.
proxy.php

I reshaped the knot with a file and cut a groove into it for the epoxy to fill in a little. I also cut a small groove on the inside of the knot hole.
proxy.php

I then glued the knot in the handle. This is the result.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
I've thought about doing something like that myself. Nice to see it done and so well illustrated. Just a great job Phil. :thumbup:

I like that handle.

It reminds me of a woman wearing a corset.

What did you use to reshape the base of the knot so it would fit in the new handle?

Oh no !!!!!

I've now got all the restore TGN Badger knot brushes I want. I can now see another obsession with restoring vintage brushes with Omega knots !!!!

Good work . :thumbup:

( Is that the best/cheapest Omega brush to use as a donor ??? )

I like that handle.

It reminds me of a woman wearing a corset.

What did you use to reshape the base of the knot so it would fit in the new handle?

I actually used a file but you could use a dremel barrel sander.

Oh no !!!!!

I've now got all the restore TGN Badger knot brushes I want. I can now see another obsession with restoring vintage brushes with Omega knots !!!!

Good work . :thumbup:

( Is that the best/cheapest Omega brush to use as a donor ??? )

No, I believe there is one cheaper, but you have to consider knot size and loft.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I purchased this brush basically for the knot. While the brush did look nice it has a hollow handle.

So this is what I did. I purchased a Handle turned by Rudy Vey and the rest is as follows.

The starting brush.
proxy.php

I used a Dremel cutting disk to gently cut the black portion holding the knot.
proxy.php

The bottom then just popped off, but I kept it in place long enough to cut down the opposite side.
proxy.php

The I took a screwdriver to pry it apart.
proxy.php

This exposed the glued knot that was tapered.
proxy.php

The anatomy of the brush.
proxy.php

I reshaped the knot with a file and cut a groove into it for the epoxy to fill in a little. I also cut a small groove on the inside of the knot hole.
proxy.php

Then glued the knot in the handle. This is the result.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Phil, that came out great!!! I have made a few brushes for customers using the knot from 10066 brushes.

Legion

Staff member
Ha! This is the first restore where I've seen someone keep the knot and throw away the handle!

I actually own that model Omega. It works well, although I agree it looks much better with that custom handle.

Gee I want a lathe! Think of the possibilities... :blink:

Nicely done.

GN now sells some Omega knots with a black base....I am curious to try one of those...cutting off the black base for an EverReady handle I have.

Top Bottom