What's new

The 1900 Gem Junior lathercatcher

This is one sweet razor. The beauty of it is it can use both the standard SE blades or the Kampfe/Gem wedge. This one is in near perfect condition. There is no plating loss at all.

proxy.php

This next photo shows the blade hold down spring and the tab that holds the blade snug to the stops.

proxy.php

Here is the little set with instructions.

proxy.php

Now to how it shaves. I don't use the SE razors as often as I should but here is my impression.
I used a new Gem blade from Walgreen's. That's all I ever use. I lathered with AOS Lavender cream using a C&E large brush made by EJ. Good stuff.
The shave was nice and close and comfortable. It was a little more aggressive then a 1912 but not nearly as aggressive as a Micromatic open comb. The only tricky area to reach is directly under the nose where the back of the razor touches. I only needed two passes and a little touch-up under the chin. I did not go ATG as I really didn't need to. There were no weepers and no aggravation. I finished up with Super Witch Hazel and AOS asb. A little cologne to top it off and I'm feeling pretty good. That was a fine shave. I really enjoyed it. I want to try it and my 1896 Kampfe with a wedge blade but until I find one in good enough shape to send to Ray, I'll just have to wait.

Len

It's a beautiful razor. I feel the handle is rather light for my liking, but it still shaves great.

Dave,
Why did Gem continue to use the old company name if they changed it in 1900.

From the company web site.

Gem Cutlery Company changes name to The Gem Safety Razor Company.
The turn of the century brings new competition and a new name for the Gem Cutlery Company - The Gem Safety Razor Company.

Len

ASR knows as much about their history as gillette does.

im not sure actually, as both names were used on razors/razor sets from that date forward.

Google "Dr Who, Dalek" for "the rest of the story" (I know you're familiar with that reference!:w00t:) ... and/or check out BBC America if you have cable or DirecTV.

I have been paying for cable since 1974 in 3 different states. I never once had a station affiliated with the BBC. While I heard of Dr Who and knew it was a British show, I had no interest in it as I thought it was a kids show.

Len

What is the third "tip," or piece, to the razor? The one that looks different than the other two handle parts, with the "Patent ..." etc. on it. Is that the true "end" of the razor or does it serve another function?

What is the third "tip," or piece, to the razor? The one that looks different than the other two handle parts, with the "Patent ..." etc. on it. Is that the true "end" of the razor or does it serve another function?

That's the stropping attachment. Holds the blade and you strop it like a straight.

Top Bottom