What's new

Muhle R89, not aggressive, - Really?

I think the quoted part is quite telling. I think you are subconsciously applying a lot of extra pressure to make up for the difference in weight between the two razors.

Even if the R89 were more aggressive (and I don't think it is; I consider it to be fairly mild) you shouldn't automatically get a bad case of razor burn as a result.

Razor burn is the result of a bad angle and/or too much pressure.

I think you are onto something, I am applying more pressure to it since I know that it just doesn't have the heft to cut it, I might have to find a heavier handle for it.

What are the weights of R89 and EJ?

S

siouxsie

These are just mine so I don't know if weight varies from razor to razor, mine sure did vary from what was advertised:

EJ DE89L: 71.1 grams
EJ DE87: 65.6 grams
EJ DE86: 65.1 grams

Muhle R89: 52.6 grams
Muhle R106: 60.4 grams

My Merkur gold HD: 78.4 grams

I think you are onto something, I am applying more pressure to it since I know that it just doesn't have the heft to cut it, I might have to find a heavier handle for it.

However, it most certainly does have enough heft to work just fine on it's own, without a heavier handle. It weighs less than your HD, that doesn't mean it has a design flaw. You just need to redefine your technique to accommodate for less weight.

If you use pressure of any sort, you are going to get razor burn. Try using the lightest touch possible, the razor will still shave your hair off your face just fine!!

There are 100's of us on the board using the EJ/Muhle without a heavier handle, and the razor works perfectly fine for us. :tongue_sm

I don't think a heavier handle has to be the only answer.

I used the EJ 89RL for the first time this morn and found it to be very mild (used a feather blade). it almost felt like using a shick hydro 5 cartridge, but not as much drag as the cartridge.

These are just mine so I don't know if weight varies from razor to razor, mine sure did vary from what was advertised:

EJ DE89L: 71.1 grams
EJ DE87: 65.6 grams
EJ DE86: 65.1 grams

Muhle R89: 52.6 grams
Muhle R106: 60.4 grams

My Merkur gold HD: 78.4 grams

I think I'm going to invest in EJ DE89L, they are pretty cheap at the english shaving co at the moment. And I was planning to get couple of other things from them anyway.

I like heavier razors. Problem with me is that I've wire beard and sensitive skin, it's easier or me to get a heavy razor to do the work while my hand guides it.

S

siouxsie

Probably your best bet...when it arrives, just in case, try both heads on it and see which one you like best before you ditch the Muhle, if you do. They should be identical but you never know.

My last package from England came in less than a week, so that darn volcano must not be hindering much at the moment.

Razor burn is the result of a bad angle and/or too much pressure.

I fully agree here. When you haven't found the sweet spot on the Mühle yet it is tempting to increase pressure to get a decent result but that is simply the wrong way. Get your angles right, the Mühle is not overly mild so it is not that hard to find, and you will probably find it to be a very effective razor. Aggressive enough to allow very close shaves and mild enough to be very forgiving.

Just get your angles right! :001_rolle

I purchased a Muhle R89 and I love it, not to agressive or to mild, I actually prefer a little aggressiveness. I also own the "King" of razors, Feather stainless, while it's a beautiful razor (I love the handle) and I would purchase again knowing what I know, the Muhle (in my opinion) has it beat. The Feather weighing in at 90.8 grams and the Muhle coming in at a scant 65.2 grams. And a tad shorter.

V

VR6ofpain

I think what is great about the R89 is it feels mild, but it cuts a lot of hair. 2 passes gets you a great shave. Compare this to a Tech or Star head, which I can go 2 passes and still have stubble everywhere. Also, even my Old Type head is pretty mild, needing a good 3 passes to complete a shave.

People sometimes confuse mild (not very aggressive) with smooth. I would say that R89 is a smooth cutting razor, but not very mild. In fact I would stay it is just as aggressive as the HD, but it feels smoother.

Strangely enough I find the Merkur 1904 head to be almost as smooth as the R89. I figured it would shave just like my old HD, but it is a far better shave.

My first DE was the Mühle R89, and I used it alone for quite a while. I found new and creative ways to cut myself with it at first, and I thought that it was too light and aggressive. So I bought a Merkur Barberpole and worked with that for a while. The extra weight helped me start to learn to let the razor do the work.
Since then, I have added a replated NEW, a single ring, both of which will really bite or take off a layer of skin if you don't watch the pressure and angle, and other much less forgiving razors.

But I keep returning to the R89 and R41 and the EJ DE89L. Something about the head-heavy balance, the ability to change it from mild to aggressive with different blades, and the tolerance of variations in pressure keep them as my primary razors, whether at home or traveling.

And my best combos are with Gillette Yellows, Sharks, and Iridium Supers. Personna Reds are milder, Feathers are...well Feather sharp.

Have fun,

JR

Top Bottom