What's new

How long has Merkur been making razors?

My dad asked me this question and I had no idea as to the answer. I think he's stumbled upon something but I don't know what. Google isn't turning up much on the company's history. If anybody knows, it'll be here. Thanks for any input.

It's my understanding that a man by the name of Emil Hermes started a razor company in Solingen. That company patented a slant razor in 1916 and later became Merkur sometime during the 1920's. Dovo Steelware was started in 1906 and bought out Merkur in 1996.

It's my understanding that a man by the name of Emil Hermes started a razor company in Solingen. That company patented a slant razor in 1916 and later became Merkur sometime during the 1920's. Dovo Steelware was started in 1906 and bought out Merkur in 1996.
The earliest mention I could find to Merkur was in 1920. This was in reference to a straight razor.

Side note Trivia: True, the Merkur company was founded by Emil Hermes. He originally wanted to call the company after himself, but there was already a business named Hermes (think expensive lady's handbags and scarves.) Since the name Hermes refers to the Greek Messenger of the Gods, he chose the Roman equivalent, Mercury, to name his company.

I always thought Merkur was a subsidiary of Dovo, that Dovo started all the razor makng in Solingen. But I don't have a clue as to whn or even if I'm right. Always considered them the European version of the Gillette Co. Great question though -

I always thought Merkur was a subsidiary of Dovo, that Dovo started all the razor makng in Solingen. But I don't have a clue as to whn or even if I'm right. Always considered them the European version of the Gillette Co. Great question though -

Merkur's acquisition by Dovo is recent.
There used to be many German razor companies in the Solingen region Merkur is the last of them.
More information can probably be found on the German shaving forum.
http://translate.google.com/transla...forum/index.php&hl=en&newwindow=1&rls=ig&sa=G

Thanks all for the data! I knew Dad had found a razor of some kind; all he'd tell me is that it's old, that it's "like the really old three piece Gillettes" (pre super speed) and that it has the two bullets on the bottom. Must be in nice shape for him to be playing so coy and not sending me pics. Never having owned a Merkur before, much less seen one in person, I knew you guys would be the go-to.

Two years ago I emailed the company to ask how long they had made the Progress, Future, and Vision. Here's their reply:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Thank you for your enquiry by email. Although we have not a production history of MERKUR razors in written I have checked some of our files to find out what you want to know.

1955 MERKUR Progress 500

1985 MERKUR FUTUR

2000 MERKUR VISION

MERKUR Company, founded by the Hermes family in 1896 is in its 4th ownership today and belongs to the family company of DOVO.

MERKUR used to make straight razors in the young 20th century follow by safety razor blades from the thirties of the last century along with a line of safety razors, moustache razors and corn planes.

MERKUR is particularly known for its range of safety razor classic and even modern designed double edge razor follow the old and traditional way of handling and using.

For more information please click www.dovo.com and further to the MERKUR part. The English version of our website is still under construction and until the new sites appear you will see the old pages.

Thank you for your interest and

Kind Regards

DOVO & MERKUR STAHLWAREN

SOLINGEN

Top Bottom