What's new

Is the "NEW Deluxe" head the same as that on a plain "NEW" razor?

I'm slowly getting a handle on the differences of all the Gillette "NEW" razors.

I'm wondering if the "NEW Deluxe" head, as found on the old Belmont is the same as the head on a regular "NEW" razor, like the bar-handle NEW, or the ball-end NEW. I notice that both of these heads do not have blade pins but do have a raised channel runs down the length of the plate. Both heads look the same to me as far as I can tell. Same or different?

I know these are different than the "NEW Improved" heads, which do have the blade pins.

Thanks,
K.T.

You're right, I see that now.

What's the difference in how they shave? Is one generally considered to be preferable to the other?

Thanks,
K.T.

Last edited:
I find that the NEW Deluxe shaves like a short comb NEW, not like a long comb NEW which is my favorite opened comb head.

I find that the NEW Deluxe shaves like a short comb NEW, not like a long comb NEW which is my favorite opened comb head.

Thanks, Bob. I recently acquired a user grade long comb NEW and got one of my best shaves with it. It got me interested in finding out more about the various models.

Best,
K.T.

I have tried the New Improved, New long comb, New short comb, New Deluxe, and Old type Gillettes. Of those, the New long comb is comfortable and efficient, the Old is comfortable, but required more passes, the New deluxe and New short comb were good efficient shavers, but less comfortable than the long comb New. The New Improved was less comfortable, and less efficient than all the others, but cool looking. In fairness to the New Improved type, I didn't spend the time to match blade varieties to the razor. That would be necessary to form an absolute opinion regarding that tool. It is fun testing these old finds! Note: I purchased a sampler pack of blades and a sampling of razors. I soon found that I couldn't evaluate all this stuff at once. I needed to test razors or blades, not both at once! I first found a blade that worked well, and I had enough stock to utilize to evaluate razors. Then I began my journey through the razors. I've sampled a dozen or so razors and only 3 or 4 blades so far, but this stuff takes time! Maybe now I can go back to testing blade qualities. Oh damn, another razor! God this is fun....
Russ

I too have found the NEWs in general to be blade sensitive, more so then other razors.
Also as a head shaver I find the turned over combs of the long comb NEW to be more comfortable against my head then the Old Type and Short Comb NEW and NEW Deluxe which can feel like your raking your head instead of shaving it

Top Bottom