What's new

Teaching a son to shave...

Do any of you have sons that you have taught to shave with a DE and a brush?

I really lament the fact that my old man never really taught me to shave (he's been weed-whacking with an electric for as long as I can remember). Someday, I hope to pass on this art, and am looking for advice or anecdotes. I don't have any sons yet, just my daughter. But, I'm thinking about, you know, making the 15th birthday a rite of passage, with the gift of a new DE and badger brush, a cake of soap and a mug, that sort of thing. My wife and I are trying for our second, and I'd actually like to begin a collection, of sorts.

I might be completely nuts, but am wondering if any of you have any experience in this arena...

Anybody that can help me?

I really lament the fact that my old man never really taught me to shave (he's been weed-whacking with an electric for as long as I can remember). Someday, I hope to pass on this art, and am looking for advice or anecdotes. I don't have any sons yet, just my daughter. But, I'm thinking about, you know, making the 15th birthday a rite of passage, with the gift of a new DE and badger brush, a cake of soap and a mug, that sort of thing. My wife and I are trying for our second, and I'd actually like to begin a collection, of sorts.

I might be completely nuts, but am wondering if any of you have any experience in this arena...

Anybody that can help me?

No experience, just plans ...

My son has been involved with my journey into DE proper shaving - and has followed my trials and tribulations with amusement. He's 10. I'm looking at getting him his own brush - now, his own mug and cake of soap ... and maybe giving him a Gillette Tech razor without blades of course, to practice razor angle with - so that by the time he needs to load it with blades he has the "muscle memory" needed as well as the habits to make shaving second nature. Plus, I enjoy having him participate - it's a "bonding" time. If I can make it fun for him, maybe he won't grow up thinking shaving is such a chore ... :cool:

my son is only 3 now, so I have a long time to plan this. He loves watching me shave, though...we "whip up a lather" together for fun and he loves to point out that the brush is made from badger hair. I am just happy that this method of shaving will be presented right from the beginning.

My Dad used an electric too and gave me one when the time came. Not much instruction was required. It's all a really remember him using though there was always a Slim Black Adjustable under the sink, which I have now.

I have a nine month old son. He has a B&B Finest Light Horn on the way. When it comes in I'll let him play with it for a minute, put it back in the box, and put it away until it's time for him to use it. I'm not sure about the rest of his kit yet, but I have a little time to think about it :biggrin: I plan on getting a nice toy shave kit too. He already likes to watch me shave, so he'll probably be a pro by the time he goes "live."

Don't forget to start your daughter off in the right direction too. You could get her a DE Lady Gilette for when she starts shaving her legs....

I don't have a son but I have a nephew. I taught him to shave but the only real problem is I taught him all wrong. I am new to DE shaving...and he will be in town this weekend and I have already told him what I have learned..

He has been having problems with his face breaking out and has been searching for the answer...

With the knowledge I have picked up from this forum I will show him the right way!

I have two sons, a 10 yr old and a 6 month old. I'm lucky enough to get to look forward to doing this twice :biggrin:

I had to start shaving at 13, so it if my oldest follows my pattern it may be sooner than later. I debated on putting together a kit for him but I figured it may be more of a right of passage to take him and pick out his first brush, razor, and choose the scents he finds appealing. I tell him all the time how when the time comes I'm going to teach him how to shave the right way, he's looking forward to it!

My wife and I probably won't even have any kids for a couple more years, but you guys are making me look forward to having a son to teach to shave already! I will be ordering my kit this week, so I should be able to get plenty of practice in before I have a son and will be able to teach him the right way to do it.

My dad has always used an electric razor and never taught me or my 3 younger brothers to shave. I am the oldest (almost 27), so I hope to be able to give my brothers (ages 24, 21 and 13), who all have sensitive skin and get razor bumps and razor burn very easily instruction on proper shaving equipment and technique. I'll make sure that I get things down myself first and I will show them this site and all the resources here.

Ben

My son is 2 now and he already grabs an un-bladed DE to drag across his face if he is there while I am shaving. I usually put some lather on his face with the brush and he scraps it off with the razor while smiling. The last time, though, my HD went missing for about 2 weeks until I found it at the bottom of a toy box. :rolleyes: (And yes, the razor with the blades and blades are out of little hand's reach). When he gets old enough, I will show him all the ways of shaving (since I have them all) from electric to straights and then will set him on a course with DEs (and a Savile Row 3118 :biggrin:).

Dennis

My oldest son is 12 and he would sooner cut off his hand than the shave off the slight shadow on his upper lip! :eek:

Still, I know that there will come a day when he'll want to have a shaven face. Then I'll teach him all the things that I never learned about knowing your face and reduction techniques. I'll start him with a Sensor (if they're still around) to learn reduction techniques before moving on to a DE and learning about angle and pressure.

My youngest is 9 and he likes to watch me and thinks it's funny that Daddy likes to shave.

Of course, it's never too early to learn how to build a good lather! :thumbsup:

My son is 15. He is in a challenging high school and has a heavy schedule, having to get up early, late team practices, term papers, etc.. I bought him an electric a year ago. I know, heresy, but I wanted him to be able to make a quick pass on his peach fuzz and get out of the house in a hurry. If he follows my pattern, by the time he leaves high school he will be unable to get a decent shave with the electric. I am thinking about the time he leaves high school for college I will present him a set. By that time he will be with the program anyway since he has been quite amused by what he calls my "instruments of death". I have been wet shaving with a Sensor or other multi-blade my entire adult life-- just started traditional DE about 6 months ago, so he has seen me doing it for many years. The other day he was in a hurry in the shower and picked up my sensor to make a pass on his upper lip. He seemed to enjoy the experience so maybe I will start him off sooner than I expected.

Vin

My oldest son is 12 and he would sooner cut off his hand than the shave off the slight shadow on his upper lip! :eek:
that was me in High School- I didn't want it to grow in wispy, so I kept it. If I had realised how bad I looked all that time.....I would have shaven it!

that was me in High School- I didn't want it to grow in wispy, so I kept it. If I had realised how bad I looked all that time.....I would have shaven it!

Thats my Son right now! (He is 15)
I keep "Hinting" about offering him some of my wetshaving stuff.
He thinks it looks cool!!:biggrin:

Sorry, nope, just have a daughter. What I really need to do is teach my wife to shave. Then I could buy her DE stuff that I could "borrow." Besides, don't you just hate leg stubble brushing up against you in the middle of the night? :)

I have 4 Children, 2 girls and 2 boys. The boys are 14 and 24, I taught both to use straight razors. How to care for them and regular honing. It paid off, my oldest has been shaving with a Str8 since he began shaving, and would never switch. My youngest has the typical peach fuzz , but takes care of it with his own Str8.(which he also cares for himself). It gives them something in common with each other and responsibility for personal hygene . The only reason for the Str8 is because most of the men on my side have been using them most of their lives.

I don't have no children as of yet, but two brothers, 12 and 15 1/2. The older one inherited an electric late last year when our grandpa passed away but I plan on getting him a DE, a badger brush and some decent soap for his 16th birthday. The younger one loves watching me shave with a straight and he's already told me he won't ever touch an electric or multi-blade razor. I think he'll be a straight-razor guy, just like me, so those are my plans for him.

Top Bottom