What's new

Turning the corner?

Maybe I should be posting in a journal type thing instead of in separate threads ... anyway.

Things finally seem to be coming together! After reading some of the "first posts" from some of the new guys, I was starting to feel like a ham-fisted idiot, but I keep pluggin away anyway.

The kit:

Omega Midnight Silvertip brush
glycerin
Williams puck soap
Nancy Boy cream
Gillette slim adjustable
Derby blade (day 3)
styptic pencil
Witch Hazel
Nancy Boy after-shave gel
Huskers lotion

The prep:

Drown the badger
Hot shower, no face wash
Hot water on the puck to soften
few drops of glycerin on the wet face, then hot towel
dump water off puck soap
one shake of the brush, then "charge" the brush with soap
dollop of Nancy Boy in the bowl
Boom! Gobs of lather. I mean, wow. :thumbup:
Lather the face and another hot towel for a minute

The shave:

Set the razor to 3, and 1 WTG, no pull at all. 2 WTG, smooth as silk. Ear to chin XTG, nice. Nose to ear XTG, still no burn, no pull, and tons o'lather left. So, let's go for broke. Set the blade down to 2, and ATG. No pull, no burn, no problems.

Relathered, and carefully, gently, blade buffing for touch-up with Mantic's techniques in mind.

Only a couple weepers, and the smoothest my face has been in years. Not complete BBS, not there yet, but dam' close.

And comfortable? You bet.

Gentlemen - I'm happy. Can't keep my hands off my face. :biggrin:

So, not instant results for me as for some, but the improvement is happening - and the journey is worth it.

As we say in the straight razor learning process, some learn quicker than others and some learn easier than others but eventually if you keep at it everyone learns. I guess its no different with DE's

That's really great. Once you start getting a really good shave the cycle is self-reinforcing: you shave with greater pleasure and pay closer attention, so your shave gets better, and repeat.

Very pleasing to read posts like yours.

Read some of my first posts to realize what a true idiot is like.

But I hung in and now I am almost BBS every day.

I also look at the post from some that have instant success and wonder as to why I am not. But I have decided to do as you, keep plugging away. I am still happier by far than with the previous shaving routine.:biggrin:

Top Bottom