What's new

My idiot proof razor.

It's been about a month now since I started DE shaving and I'm getting really consistant 75 to 90% BBS with no nicks, scrapes or burn. In my quest to find what works for me I have so far tried the Vision, Futur, Progress and a Gillette Fat Boy. Of those four, it's the Progress which has become my go to razor. It seems that with this razor in my hand I can do no wrong!

I have to go very slow and careful with any of the other three, but I've been catching myself handling the Progress like it was a Fusion a couple of times and made myself slow down a little.

Up down, north south, east west, wtg, atg, xtg or those little crop circles I have to do on my chin, (including atg on the chin), no problems whatsoever! Using a Derby or Feather, the only difference is there not being as much touch up to do with the Feather.

I still have a few to test drive, (the Merkur HD is on the slate for today), but I really can't imagine how much better or easier a shave can get. Has this happened to anyone else? Has anyone found a razor that makes it futile to use anything else?

The Merkur HD provides an excellent and consistent shave. Especially when used with good lather, a good blade and good technique, it can't be faulted for the price. Which is why we would recommend it to new users.

David

What seeting do you have your Progress on? I would be interested to know. Its a fine razor if used properly, I think.

I have a progress, a Futur, and an HD (which is permenently on loan to my father). I have gad fantastic shaves with the Futur, and I really enjoyed the HD as well. I have only begun to use the Progress properly. I will soon have a new HD of my own.

Having read many posts here, it is clear to me that the Merkur HD is the most praised and highly regarded of all modern DEs. Its the one everyone reccomends.

But what I have realised (at least for me) is that getting the best shave is all in the technique. Preparing the face, proper lathering, and then taking enough time with minimal pressure to do the actual shaving. Probably the best shave I ever had was with the Futur, but I am confident that this shave could be achieved with many DEs if I just put in the time and effort.

So the real trick for me is to refine my techniques so that I can get an acceptable shave (maybe BBS, maybe something close to it) an an acceptable amount of time.

Patrick - its great that you found a combo that work so well for you. Plus you have had all that enjoyment trying things out. Do you plan to use just the Progress or will you do some sort of rotation?

Chris, I started out on a one and two is as high as I need to go.

Rob, what I'd like to do is be able to handle all of them as well as I do the Progress, so I'll practice on those days that if things don't go perfect, I'll have a day to heal, lol!

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
I'm like Patrick, the owner of multiple razors. I have shaved with many and have gotten very nice reults from a majority of them. I have taken to shaving with some antique Gillettes mainly because I'm a history buff and I fancy the history of these razors having been used as much as 80 years ago by someone. Today in fact I used a combo of an English Gillette Aristocrat coupled with a final pass with a 1920's Gillette Tuckaway. The Brit razor had a brand new Derby ( I'm really liking them) and the Tuckaway had a Red Pack Faux IP on it's second day. I'm fortunate that I have acquired quite a few razors to choose from and I doubt that I will ever settle on one or two. In the case today, I couldn't decide between 4 of them so I used two and I'll awaiting a later shave to experiment a little more.

Patrick - I like your thinking. You can always go back to the Progress but I like the idea of a rotation which for me includes trying old razors as I acquire them. Good luck!

Top Bottom