What's new

I got a promotion....sort of

I had predicted it for awhile now, but the job itself has a pretty high turnover rate and a lot more responsibility. my question is, how do I leverage more money out of my boss? I'm not even really being given a choice because the current person doing the job isn't working out and he plans on leaving next month anyway. i'm trying to be positive about it. the company I work for is pretty small and there's virtually no upward mobility unless you quit or are fired. the position would look good on my resume but it's not particularly safe. so, do I approach my boss and tell him that he's putting me in a high turnover job and that I should get compensation, or do I leave it alone? I suck at negotiating but I feel I should get something rather than nothing.

Stability is your trump card my friend. You have the ability to show your boss that you are there to stay. Approach him by saying that you will take the job for 90 days. Inform him that if it works out, you expect a pay raise of $XXX. You need to be clear of what yours and his expectations are. You also need to be clear of the dollar amount. Don't let him say sure I'll give you a raise. He may just give 5% or less. Good luck.

Stability is your trump card my friend. You have the ability to show your boss that you are there to stay. Approach him by saying that you will take the job for 90 days. Inform him that if it works out, you expect a pay raise of $XXX. You need to be clear of what yours and his expectations are. You also need to be clear of the dollar amount. Don't let him say sure I'll give you a raise. He may just give 5% or less. Good luck.

perfect :thumbup1:

Have you done any research on what the job pays at similar companies?

Don't price yourself out of the market but don't settle for less.

Why is this a high turnover position? Is it because the volume of work doesn't match the salary? Where are the former employees going?

Arm yourself with market values so yyou can look your boss in the eye and know you are being fair.

How secure do you feel in your secure job--i.e., how "indispensable" are you? If you sense that your boss would be SOL if you left the company then you've got more leverage.

If not, you're taking a big chance asking for a raise in a 10% unemployment economy. If there's huge turnover in this role, this also implies that there are a lot of other people out there who are willing to give it a try other than you.

In this economy, unfortunately, employees have no leverage at all. To ask to get a raise just because you last a certain amount of time isn't a good reason. All that means is that you're lasting 90 days. Instead, try to create an agreement that ties a raise to specific goals achieved. Don't know what the job is, but if, say, you're in sales, say that if you bring in xxx new customers or $$$ in revenue, the boss will give you a raise on top of the commission.

Companies have no loyalty or respect for employees anymore, so in these situation you need to balance your desire not to get exploited (more work for same money) versus the reality that your boss can easily find someone to do your job.

Jeff in Boston

As someone already said make sure you are not expecting unrealistic pay for the job.

One thing that happens in many jobs is that new people get hired in at more money as the established employees. This just happened in my company. We had 45 reps and just expanded to 92. I guarantee that the new hires are all being paid more than us. I take the view that the company will make it right or I will take the time to look for other employment. Even in this economy it is better to be looking for a job while you already have one.

One thing that happens in many jobs is that new people get hired in at more money as the established employees.

That might have been the case at one time but it's not anymore. Except for high-growth, high-demand industries requiring specialized expertise (like biotech and healthcare), companies are getting rid of veteran, higher-paid employees and replacing them with more junior-level people who can do the same job at a much lower pay. The most at-risk position in any company is an over-40 male middle manager near the top of his pay grade who has been with the company for 10 years or more and has no record of making significant, singular contributions to the company's success.

Jeff in Boston

Tough spot - you want to assert yourself, but in this economy not make so many demands that they consider replacing you. I'd be clear up front that I expect a bump in pay with the bump in responsibilities, but understanding the current economy might make that difficult be prepared to ask for a specific plan to be put in writing detailing when you'll get a raise and under what circumstances.

thanks for the input everyone. I talked to my wife about it lastnite and she's going to help me put together a proposal. the proposal will outline a job description, pay increase requirements, vacation, etc. the way she explained it to me made a lot of sense

the planets must've aligned. it's funny how a few of us got job promotions in the same week. congrats to everyone! :thumbup1:

Yeah, it is somewhat strange! This thread has been helpful in negotiating my upcoming promotion as well. Thanks for the good advice and support gents.

EDIT: gaseousclay, I'd be interested on how you put together your proposal. I'm thinking of doing the same thing before accepting this promotion. I have until Friday, but if you could get back at me tonight about it, I'd appreciate the help.

EDIT: gaseousclay, I'd be interested on how you put together your proposal. I'm thinking of doing the same thing before accepting this promotion. I have until Friday, but if you could get back at me tonight about it, I'd appreciate the help.

my proposal was pretty straightforward. I did a basic outline of my job title and primary duties/responsibilities which included delegating tasks to an assistant. I made sure not to leave anything out and I did bullit points to reinforce all responsibilities associated with the job. I didn't do a separate written proposal regarding pay. I checked salary.com to get a basic idea of what my position pays in my zipcode but I also knew what previous employees were paid in the same position. I tried to be fair and consistent with what my position has typically paid and I also tried to keep in mind that the job market isn't so great, so asking for too much would've meant not getting the job. but then again, I probably could've asked for more money and gotten it, mainly because I'm the only qualified person for the position, but I didn't want it to be about the money.

this was my first proposal so I don't even know if I was doing it correctly - it worked for me. once I established my job title/duties it was pretty easy negotiating salary and vacation. if you have any other questions let me know

Last edited:
Top Bottom