What's new

Best hypoallergenic cream (or soap)?

Hi gents,

Going off another thread someone else posted but what is the best hypo-allergenic cream (or soap) that you know of?

- ice

I'm on my second tub of AOS Unscented shave cream and part way through my first puck of the unscented soap. I think both are excellent, and they're both completely without added fragrance (they both do have some minimal smell to them - it's just the sum total of the ingredients though). The cream is listed by AOS as "hypoallergenic" - I'm not 100% sure on the tallow soap - the cream is for sure though. I see from your sig that you have some of the AOS product, so you're already familiar with it - the unscented and sandalwood seem totally equal to me, performance-wise.

I've also tried a sample of the Taylor's Jermyn Street shave cream which I believe is their "sensitive skin" formula. It seemed very mild but it is lightly scented. It performed very well for me but I expected nothing less from Taylor.

Anyway, of the three, I think the AOS tallow soap has a slight edge for me in performance, and the two creams are about equal. They all seem to be towards the top of the performance/quality range though - I think any one of them could be the "best" for somebody.

--------T_M

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
That would depend on your definition of Hypoallergenic, as there is no standard medical definition for the term.

There are also no standard tests or criteria that a product must go through before a company can call its product hypoallergenic.

In many cases it winds up being a sales booster with no real meaning.

It would also depend on what your sensitivities are, as one "hypoallergenic" product might be great for someone with a reaction to one type of compound but not to someone with a different sensitivity.

If you know what your tendencies toward allergies are, your best bet is to be knowledgeable about the ingredients list, and how each or a combination of those ingredients affects your skin.

Top Bottom