What's new

Shaving with just water, what a crock!

Ok, I admit it, sometimes I get the urge to try stupid things, even though I know they are stupid.

So I read this article about a week ago...

http://www.lewrockwell.com/tucker/tucker65.html

After reading it, I said to myself... "This won't work, don't try it Joe!"

So today I decided to try it:laugh:. I brought a mirror and my Merkur HD with me in the shower. After soaking my face under hot water for about 5 minutes I began to shave. I got about half-way-through a shave filled with a ton of tugging and jumping (of the razor) and finally waved the white flag. I can't say I experienced any irritation from my 'half a shave' but it was terribly uncomfortable and totally unsatisfying. I'd definitely grow a beard before having to shave like this on a daily basis. After I got out of the shower I lathered up with some P.160 and a boar brush and experienced yet another satisfying DFS.

My advice...

If you are anything like me, it doesn't matter what I tell you because you won't listen and will end up trying it for yourself:001_smile. If you aren't like me, you are a smart individual:thumbup1:; I say don't even read the article in the link above, just never try to shave with just water.:w00t:

Ouch, I can just feel what you went through. The only way I'll use just water is after I've done my 2 pass shave, WTG and ATG, I'll do some water cleanup, but then my skin is all conditioned from the shave and the cleanup is no problem. I know what you went through though, in past years at times I'd attempt a quick shave using just a splash of water. But after a couple times doing that, and the resulting terrible irritation, I'll never do that again. :thumbdown

You'll find all sorts of anti-product/anti-corporate rant sites touting some alternative to the "conspiracy" of mass consumption/marketing products. The "natural" products sites also do this as well, with a sales agenda to go along with their contra positions.

Last edited:
Does anyone remember the movie “Neighbors” with John Belushi?
Trying to be discreet, he dry shaves with a DE razor.
Then he splashes on some AS.
Then, still trying to be discreet, he screams into a towel so as to not be heard.

Seriously...you took shaving advice from this guy?

proxy.php

Honestly it's kind of OK, but it still sucks. I can say this because I used to do this.

This wasn't some anti-corporate, anti-establishment, anti-anything....it was how I learned to shave. The mirror in my parents bathroom was impossible to de-fog and I wore glasses anyways so I learned to shave by feel fairly quickly, no mirror in the shower either. My trusty Atra Plus with a white strip was all I needed to get perfectly consistent half assed shaves.

Ok, I admit it, sometimes I get the urge to try stupid things, even though I know they are stupid.

So I read this article about a week ago...

http://www.lewrockwell.com/tucker/tucker65.html

After reading it, I said to myself... "This won't work, don't try it Joe!"

So today I decided to try it:laugh:. I brought a mirror and my Merkur HD with me in the shower. After soaking my face under hot water for about 5 minutes I began to shave. I got about half-way-through a shave filled with a ton of tugging and jumping (of the razor) and finally waved the white flag. I can't say I experienced any irritation from my 'half a shave' but it was terribly uncomfortable and totally unsatisfying. I'd definitely grow a beard before having to shave like this on a daily basis. After I got out of the shower I lathered up with some P.160 and a boar brush and experienced yet another satisfying DFS.

My advice...

If you are anything like me, it doesn't matter what I tell you because you won't listen and will end up trying it for yourself:001_smile. If you aren't like me, you are a smart individual:thumbup1:; I say don't even read the article in the link above, just never try to shave with just water.:w00t:

shaving with just water is craziness in general. idk how the cavemen did it

I also read that article and tried shaving without shaving cream, back when I first started researching shaving, a few days before I found B&B.

"Prep" was splashing hot water on my face. Then I spread some aloe vera gel on my face and neck and whipped out the ol' Mach III. (As I said, this was before B&B.)

It wasn't all that bad, but it was nothing great either. And I realized there's some value in being able to tell where you've shaved and where you haven't. (If a spot is covered in lather, I haven't shaved it yet.)

I shaved with only water for many years. It worked just fine, but you have to be really quick. If you let more than a few seconds elapse after a hot shower, it's too late. I'm using a soap now because it lets my approach be more relaxed, precise, and enjoyable - a quality experience in itself, rather than something to get through to get to the next thing.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I was thinking of trying this, but I was waiting till after I do the experiment where I just stuff a whole Filet Mignon down my throat so I don't have the chance to taste it.

I've tried it before and it didn't work so well. I'll be sticking with shaving cream. Even a cheap puck of Williams works well.

Top Bottom