What's new

Replating a fatboy?

Has anyone done something like this or is there a way to make an older one shine again? Ive tried scrubbing bubbles and it looks puurrrty, but I want to make it look like new! Any help?

Do a search on "Maas" or "polishing", plenty of details available. That's the next step!

I just use some Brasso or equivalent and a bunch of elbow grease. As long as the plating is all there it comes out purty. I will admit though, the nickel plating on the Gillettes is nowhere close as nice as the Merkur chrome. I am rather tempted to get them replated in chrome. Plus I think that the chrome holds its shine a bit longer than the nickel.

I just replated an E4 Fatboy that I had planned on giving to my brother. I would not have replated it but when I was cleaning it I tried boiling it. Boy that was a bad idea. Removed most of the original plating in 5 min! Anyway, I am not going to give it to him anymore since a falling out. I already have one so I am going to sell this one. Probably on ebay. It did come out nice though.

I just replated an E4 Fatboy that I had planned on giving to my brother. I would not have replated it but when I was cleaning it I tried boiling it. Boy that was a bad idea. Removed most of the original plating in 5 min! Anyway, I am not going to give it to him anymore since a falling out. I already have one so I am going to sell this one. Probably on ebay. It did come out nice though.

Got pics of said replated razor? Did you have to take it apart to replate it or did it stay in one piece? What did the replate cost you?

Shawn

I BEG YOUR PARDON SIR !!!!!!!

Boiling will never...never....never remove the plating. Your Fatty was brassed already. Don't blame the boiling water. Boiling water only cleaned it to bring out the brassing in it.

Your Fatty was an old brassed razor and that's it !!!

Vijay

I BEG YOUR PARDON SIR !!!!!!!

Boiling will never...never....never remove the plating. Your Fatty was brassed already. Don't blame the boiling water. Boiling water only cleaned it to bring out the brassing in it.

Your Fatty was an old brassed razor and that's it !!!

Vijay

...depends what you boil it in, eh?

...depends what you boil it in, eh?

I throw them into my spaghetti sauce and let them simmer for a couple of hours. Make sure you fish them out when serving, guests can be so particular about such things.

Meets our daily requirement for nickel and brass.

-jim

And oh yeah, I'm just kidding! I see no reason whatsoever to boil razors when just soaking in warm water works.

Doc, I did take it apart cleaned it, disinfected it using Marvicide and had it replated. It cost me $55 here in my city. I have used the shop before so i knew thier work. I can post some pics later.

Twaler, As far as I know this can't be done at home. There are a lot of steps to the process and very harsh chemicals are needed to get it right.

Stubble, not to be contrary but the boiling did remove the plating. There was no brassing to begin with when I got the razor. Not sure why you have to yell about it?

Here are the pics of my replated fatboy. The pics aren't that great I only have my camera phone at this time. It doesn't do it justice. The loss of the original plateing and the not "gifting" it anymore led to the re-plateing. I understand keeping the nostalgic properties of the original manufacturing and all but I messed it up pretty good with the cleaning process. But I still wanted to give a damn good looking gift too..:biggrin1:

that looks really nice. I am guessing you disassembled it completely, ie as far as can be done, including removing the TTO knob. Was the razor free of any surface imperfections? Did you have to polish out any? Is the new surface totally smooth? I ask because in painting, any imperfection will transfer to the new finish. Congrats on a beautiful FB!

Yeah I took it apart as far as I could. Took out the TTO knob and head. I didn't want to take it down anymore because I didn't feel confident in replacing any parts I damaged. As far as the smooth plating I think it looks pretty smooth. I didn't see any imperfections other than on the TTO open door. It looks like a small indention that was there before. So I don't count that aginst the shop that did the plateing.

Top Bottom