What's new

Vintage Gillette Razor

Did a quick search on ebay and bought a razor which was not at all explained.. Someone purchased it at an estate sale and all they were told was that it was a vintage gillette razor. Posted 2 pictures.. I bought it. $4.50 including shipping. So help me on it..

It's still at the sellers. So I don't know... Its in Tennessee so I should get it by Tuesday! I actually just found out via Google Images that it was a Superspeed just didn't know from when. Good razor for $5?

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Yup, $5 is good. Got my '52 Super Speed, an old type 3 piece ball end, and an Auto Strop for $4.50 each at a local antique store.

I think that I've about raided all of the local antique stores around here for now though. :laugh:

Edit: if it's got an M 3 date code on it I'll give ya $10 for it. Trying to find one for the son-in-law.

Last edited:
I just recently picked up a superspeed at the antique store for $2.50 and yours looks identical to mine. I have a date code of N2 so from what I could find, mine is a 1968 Superspeed. Looks exactly like that one, but maybe for a few years they all looked similar.

I just recently picked up a superspeed at the antique store for $2.50 and yours looks identical to mine. I have a date code of N2 so from what I could find, mine is a 1968 Superspeed. Looks exactly like that one, but maybe for a few years they all looked similar.

It's a SS Black Handle. It's ranges from 66-86. So I'm pretty sure they all look the same for those 20 years.. Won the big at $1.10.. It's a shame that shipping wasnt free.

That's about what they're worth. Usually find'em at the antiques for $5-7.

How do they compare to brand new razors? I have a Parker 96r and I don't know what to think of it as it is my first razor. So is a vintage gillette just as good as a new Merkur? Would I be better using the Gillette over my Parker?

Simply put is old just as good as new?

How do they compare to brand new razors? I have a Parker 96r and I don't know what to think of it as it is my first razor. So is a vintage gillette just as good as a new Merkur? Would I be better using the Gillette over my Parker?

Simply put is old just as good as new?

Actually in this case the question should be Is New as good as Old? The Super Speed is much better then a Parker in my opinion.

Len

I have 2 of those that I bought for my sons, when they get old enough to shave. They're damn good shavers. I'll take any Gillette SS over any Parker razor, any day of the week. Hell, I'll take it over most new razors, period.
You got a good one. They're not very expensive, and they don't get as much love as the older SS, but they shave just as well as my 3 1950s SS models.
Once you clean it up, it'll probably look worlds better. Considering that a new cartridge razor costs around $10.00 + between $10.00 and $30.00 for a pack of 8-10 blades, and you can get 100 blades for your SS for anywhere from $10.00 to $40.00, you didn't get hurt.:thumbup:

Actually in this case the question should be Is New as good as Old? The Super Speed is much better then a Parker in my opinion.

Len

+2 Imo old de razors are proof of quality craftsmanship. Think about it, these de razors have withstood the tests of time 50-100yrs. Unless you're buying a merkur most new razors are horribly constructed and quality assurance varies. Sometimes you have some people get a good batch from ie parker or weishi... while others have bad experiences.

Yes, that's a good razor and you paid a fair price for it. I'd use one of those over a Parker or a non-adjustable Merkur any day. I hope it arrives soon and you should get some terrific shaves from it!

I'm growing a beard awaiting it's arrival.. Well, I'm about at 27 hours.. Luckily I'm off until Saturday... So I will have plenty of hair to play with!! I bought it on Thursday, assuming it got sent out on Friday, USPS delivers on Saturday.. It's coming from Tennessee.. It should be here!!

I think I have a Safety Razor Acquisition Impatience Disorder.. Whats the treatment for that?

The Edwin Jagger Razors are very nice razors, but will cost $30.00+.
For $4.50, you got a deal. That's less than the price of a new cartridge razor.
I've had good luck with Derby and Shark blades in mine. I'm going to try a few more blades in it, just for fun.

That was an excellent price for an eBay purchase, and as others have said, these are good razors. I doubt if you would pay any less on B/S/T, although you might find one cheaper at a flea market, thrift shop, etc. You should realize, though, that you will always get one-upped here on how little you pay. If you get one for free, somebody else will have gotten two for free.:laugh:

The Vintage Gillette razors were built to a very high standard, and as such very little built today can compare to them in overall quality.

It says a lot that a razor made 100 years ago (in the case of a Gillette Old type for example) is still usable today (and likely still shaves as well as the day it left the factory).

You hear a lot of reports of Parker razors that suffer from horrid quality control.

You hear reports of Merkur razors that are suffering from plating that is flaking off.

I have yet to hear of any bad reports on the Edwin Jagger/ Muhle razors, and they are top of line in my opinion.

In a nutshell, the vintage Gillette razors are superb products, that still perform wonderfully. :thumbup:

I have an identical SS. Mine is a '73. I couldn't ask for more in a razor, you got a great deal in my opinion. I'd give it bath with a toothbrush, and a borax/water paste. Mine shined right up with that. Then rinse it, and a quick trip through either alcohol or barbicide, your choice. The SS is my current DE of choice, and likely will be for quite some time!

I have one of those models of SS and while I prefer my Slim adjustable for it's heft, the black-handle SS does a fine job and will get you to BBS if you are patient and attentive. Build quality is quite fine, and it will last you indefinitely. I got mine with a bunch of electronics stuff, so basically for free. Or, if you prefer, I paid $5 for the SS and got the wire/transformers/random parts for free.

My girlfriend uses the black handle SS on her legs with Derbys and Walmart Personnas, and loves it after some practice.

Top Bottom