What's new

Omega 10065

I'm seeing the awesome prices at Shoebox Shave Shop and I've decided to finally satisfy my curiosity for a boar. The Omega 10065 looks like my size and the price is definitely right, but I don't seem to read much about it around here. Can anyone think of reasons why I shouldn't be going for this one? Is there a quality reason it's priced that cheaply? I'm not wedded to it, the 10081 looks gorgeous and the 31064 is compelling based on comments I read, it just seemed like the 10065 might be a good starter.

They are great brushes. And at the sales price you really cannot go wrong. I recently got the 10029 & it is coming along nicely.

The 31xxx series has thicker hair than the less expensive Omega brushes. When I first got mine, I thought it was too soft. Now, I think the softness is great and it holds heat very well in my scuttle. I just started experimenting with some Semogues from Vintage Scent. Received the 1305 several days ago and I'm really liking this brush. Much more backbone than my 31064 and should soften up nicely over time as the ends break. I also recently ordered the 2000 during their sale last week.

If you want more backbone for the 31XXX series or any other boar brush only soak halfway up the bristles. The base hairs stay stiffer and only the tips of the bristles get soft. Thats what is recomended for any wood handled brush to help preserve the wood. My 1307 and 31064 works just fine that way.

I'm seeing the awesome prices at Shoebox Shave Shop and I've decided to finally satisfy my curiosity for a boar. The Omega 10065 looks like my size and the price is definitely right, but I don't seem to read much about it around here. Can anyone think of reasons why I shouldn't be going for this one? Is there a quality reason it's priced that cheaply? I'm not wedded to it, the 10081 looks gorgeous and the 31064 is compelling based on comments I read, it just seemed like the 10065 might be a good starter.

I just purchased a 10065 from Shoebox a couple of days ago, and I am expecting it in the mail any day now, hopefully tomorrow, Friday. For $7, give or take a few cents, I thought I might as well give it a try.

From what I was told in a different thread, the handle of the 10065 is hollow, so its bristle-heavy, but still good for face lathering if you choke up on the handle a bit. The lower priced Omegas have hollow handles opposed to solid handles in the higher priced ones.

If you want more backbone for the 31XXX series or any other boar brush only soak halfway up the bristles. The base hairs stay stiffer and only the tips of the bristles get soft. Thats what is recomended for any wood handled brush to help preserve the wood. My 1307 and 31064 works just fine that way.

Thanks for the suggestion. Makes a lot of sense when I think about it.

I got the 10065 along with Pre de Provence shave soap in the mail this morning, and just tried them out. Here are some quick thoughts on the brush:

The brush was not as bristle/head heavy as I thought it would be; in fact, it's a very balanced brush with soft bristles. Once out of the box, I immediately used it for my shave of the day. For my first pass, I only wet the top half of the bristles, loaded the brush, and face lathered it. It had a lot of backbone, and, to my surprise, and delight, it was not prickly at all! For my second pass, I rewett the whole brush, which softened it up nicely while still providing backbone, more than my badgers. This is the first boar I have used since 1997, and I was quite impressed. It was nothing like the boar I bought from Walgreens back in the early nineties. I am glad I purchased it, and will definitely look for more boars in the future.

Of course, I base this all on my previous experiences with my current and past brushes: (1) my current go to brush, a German made pure/best badger brush I bought online back in 1997, make unknown, (2) an AOS pure badger brush, and (3) the Walgreens boar.

I got the 10065 along with Pre de Provence shave soap in the mail this morning, and just tried them out. Here are some quick thoughts on the brush:

The brush was not as bristle/head heavy as I thought it would be; in fact, it's a very balanced brush with soft bristles. Once out of the box, I immediately used it for my shave of the day. For my first pass, I only wet the top half of the bristles, loaded the brush, and face lathered it. It had a lot of backbone, and, to my surprise, and delight, it was not prickly at all! For my second pass, I rewett the whole brush, which softened it up nicely while still providing backbone, more than my badgers. This is the first boar I have used since 1997, and I was quite impressed. It was nothing like the boar I bought from Walgreens back in the early nineties. I am glad I purchased it, and will definitely look for more boars in the future.

Of course, I base this all on my previous experiences with my current and past brushes: (1) my current go to brush, a German made pure/best badger brush I bought online back in 1997, make unknown, (2) an AOS pure badger brush, and (3) the Walgreens boar.

Great review, thanks! :thumbup1:

Really looking forward to getting this one, it'll be my first boar and it sounds like it shaves perfectly for my taste. I'll post my thoughts as well once in comes in.

That is some good info. thx for the post.

Crom

I have the 10066, same as the 10065, but with a white handle. It's available at WCS for $9.00, and I can attest to their service. Shoebox shave is excellent as well.

As far as the brush goes, I will echo the comment above that it is actually a well balanced brush, and not head heavy. If you don't mind spending a few bucks more, there is another, the 81052, reviewed here.

I used my 10065 today for the second time since receiving it in the mail yesterday, and I am quite impressed with this brush! I had a puck of Classic Shaving Lilac lying around that I practically gave up on because I just could not get it to lather properly with any of my badger brushes. I gave it a try with the 10065, and presto ... dense lather. This really is a great brush. :thumbup:

As a side note, I would not suggest purchasing the Classic Shaving Lilac because although I did manage to get it to lather with the Omega, the shave was not that great with regard to razor glide and moisture.

Oh, no. Just when I thought I had beaten my AD. :w00t: I just ordered the 10065 along with two stands after going through this thread. I needed two because earlier today I purchased a VH brush from Walgreens to take on vacation. I want to take a brush that was cheap and if forgotten I won't get upset. But of course a brush needs a stand etc. Please send help. My AD has gone from razors to brushes. :lol:

I will bring this post to life.

Today I bought my 10065 boar in fair price from my local supermarket guess how much. 4,20€.

I chose the red one and its marvelous and very well constructed. One class above the hjm boar I have.

Top Bottom