What's new

Memorial Day Find - Brand New 1966 "Marcas Regs" Gillette Tech Travel

While meandering around some antique stores with my girlfriend this weekend, I ran across this little 1966 L3 Tech in the back of a glass case. Priced at $10 but 30% off for Memorial Day. As you can see, it's in a red "simulated leather" case made in West Germany. It even has the fake cardboard "blade" still in the head, and the plastic is on the 1-blade pack. I'm fairly certain this little guy has never touched water, let alone a face! I'm sorely tempted to try it out, but I'm still a DE n00b and not sure it would be a good idea to mess around with the short handle. Ahhh, who am I kidding...I'll probably try it on Saturday! Or is it worth keeping as a never-used collectible? I can't imagine that it's terribly valuable.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Nice find! I haven't used a travel Tech, but judging by the large number of seemingly unused ones out there, maybe they were better in theory than in practice. I keep meaning to take mine out of the drawer and see what it can do.

Congrats!

I'd just hold onto that cardboard "blade" and reinsert it after having a shave with the razor. If you don't like it, stick the cardboard blade back in and never use it again. It'll still be 99.9% flawless. Nice find.

The travel tech heads are slightly more aggressive than their full-sized contemporaries, probably a result of the flatter head profile. I personally travel with mine, a stick, and my vdh brush :thumbup:

I'd just hold onto that cardboard "blade" and reinsert it after having a shave with the razor. If you don't like it, stick the cardboard blade back in and never use it again. It'll still be 99.9% flawless. Nice find.

An excellent idea, my good sir!

Would you be interested in selling the item?................rick

I just did a quick eBay check and found 2 for $10 and 1 for $5. None of them are in quite as pristine shape as mine, but I can hardly imagine it would make mine worth much more. Just search for "Gillette Travel".

I think I'll probably give mine a try this weekend. So far, I've just been using a regular ball end Tech, as well as a 1958 TV SuperSpeed, so we'll see how much more aggressive this little guy is!

I have 3 travel techs. 2 with the plated brass handle, and one British made with the aluminum handle. 2 of them appear unused. The one that appears to have been used once or twice only cost me $1.04 plus a few bucks shipping.
I've made a couple of prototype long handles for them. One is brass, the other is black Delrin. I think they're good shavers, and agree about them seeming to be a bit more aggressive than a standard Tech.

I have 3 travel techs. 2 with the plated brass handle, and one British made with the aluminum handle. 2 of them appear unused. The one that appears to have been used once or twice only cost me $1.04 plus a few bucks shipping.
I've made a couple of prototype long handles for them. One is brass, the other is black Delrin. I think they're good shavers, and agree about them seeming to be a bit more aggressive than a standard Tech.

Ah, what a good idea. I shall have to try that out!

Top Bottom