Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How should I spend my gift certificate?

Default How should I spend my gift certificate?

I was recently given a generous $175 gift certificate to art of shaving for my birthday. I'm a student in NYC so getting to a branch is not a problem. I'm a big fan of the sandalwood shaving cream (was my first expensive cream and I love the scent and quality of lather I get). My problem is, I don't know how I should spend the money. I've been combating my ADs for a while and my next purchase was going to be a Chubby 2, but now I have this money I have to spend on AOS so I don't know what to get. Should I buy a soap in each scent which should last a long time and keep well (vs the cream which I find dries out quite a bit with time)? Maybe I should use it for an over priced brush? I purchased a silvertip brush on sale two summers ago (mostly because I was just getting started and wanted to try a silvertip and it was a discontinued line so was 50% off) but wasn't so happy with the brush since it's so floppy for my taste.

What do you gents think? Brush? Soaps? Creams?
    -Ben

Get a straight, mate!
    -Chris

"Nothing is as it seems... Neither is it any different" -Neal Stephanson

Soaps.

175 bucks is a lot of soap. If I were you, I'd spend 55 bucks on a brush, 50 bucks on one of their DE's, and the remainder on soaps.

I'd buy a few soaps, a DE and would probably spring for one of their professional shaves and a haircut.

I'd say a bit of everything!!! Go nuts!
    Cheers, Paul

Recklessly!

Seriously, buy yourself something you'd normally feel guilty about.
    -Adrian

8. Default

With $150 purchase online, you get a $25 reward card. I don't know if they have an equivalent in the stores. So all items listed below would be supplemented by the gift card.

Option 1: Fine Badger Brush in Horn; $175

Option 2: Fine Badger Brush white or black; $110 PLUS two (2) Sandalwood Shaving Cream 5oz - $22;

Option 3: Pure Badger Brush in white or black; $55 PLUS Sandalwood Eau de Toilette 3.5oz - $70 PLUS two (2) Sandalwood Shaving Cream 5oz - $22

Rick

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ptirmal View Post
    Soaps.
    Soap sticks, too.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyAces View Post
    175 bucks is a lot of soap. If I were you, I'd spend 55 bucks on a brush, 50 bucks on one of their DE's, and the remainder on soaps.
    Get a good vintage Gillette and at least a hundred really good blades. A tub of Cyril Salter shave cream would be nice, as well.

-- John Gehman

Get a straight, mate!

Lanesborough, In the "other" Massachusetts

I think you should spend it anyway you'd like. But really $175 on soap should last you your lifetime. You have lots of options, but take a look at a couple of nice brushes in super badger, they won't be so floppy, look at the Vulfix line, great brushes that won't break the bank. I have 3 and use them often. Take a look at some razors that interest you, and anything else shave related. You can pick up some nice gear for that kind of money. Shop around. Good luck.
    Regards, Paul

Images

Quote Originally Posted by wdwrx View Post
    Get a straight, mate!
    Quote Originally Posted by sanfranciscian View Post
    +1 before its too late
    You'd need a strop to go with it which puts you way over the certificate. There are much better ways to get started with straights.

I tend to agree with John. Soaps, blades, creams.
    Proud member of the Great Eagle Group Buy 2010

I've been using the AOS Fine brush along with a Moos stick for the last week and it has been working...fine Before that, I used a Simpson Commodore in Best for several months. It seems to be a little scritchy to my face. I recently tried my silvertip from Baxter and it was such a difference in softness (of course). However, I wanted a little more backbone and tried the AOS brush. I thought it might be too big for face lathering, but I've been enjoying it. If you can find them when they are on sale, they're not a bad brush.

Hey, just saw that they have the brush and sets on sale right now for $150.

http://www.theartofshaving.com/shop/group/33/32

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dadwasright View Post
    option 3: pure badger brush in white or black; $55 plus sandalwood eau de toilette 3.5oz - $70 plus two (2) sandalwood shaving cream 5oz - $22

rick
    +1
    James

Have a question or problem? PM a Moderator.

Make a donation or become a Contributor to B&B here http://badgerandblade.com/vb/payments.php

Quote Originally Posted by ptirmal View Post
    soaps.
    +1 +1 + 1 +1

Thanks for all the advice guys, keep it coming.
    I have an ok straight (and a few I want to restore) but i find I don't really have the time to devote to perfecting my skills yet, and the straights (at 135 and 170) seem overpriced too.

They only sell a few DEs and only merkur blade. So really, I'm leaning towards AOS specific products since the few products they sell that aren't really theirs, I can get cheaper elsewhere.

It would be nice to get a new brush (I use a pure badger Italian brush that I think is great) but I'm afraid of the silvertip being too floppy and for $110 for fine badger, I just keep saying to myself, I could have gotten a chubby from another store. The value packs are a great deal (relatively speaking) but I don't use preshave oil, and prefer other aftershaves.

I'll make sure to let you know what I end up going with, but keep the suggestions coming!
    -Ben

Images

Get a shave, the royal shave!

Go to the woman in the Madison Ave branch. She does a fine job. DO NOT GO TO THE MAN THERE!
    He who desires nothing, has everything.

Make sure you smell the soaps before you buy them. The sandalwood cream smells waaay different than the soap. I find that the soap is actually pretty stanky in comparison.

don't get a haircut or shave there. you'll be doing a better job with your goodies