What's new

proglide

got my free razor from gillette any one try it yet?they give u a coupon for 3.00 off blades i bet there expensive. im using a slim adjustable now don't think ill ever change back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Before you read this, please keep in mind that your mileage may vary, but...

Based on Gillette/P&G's recent track record I will voice my educated guess that the Fusion ProGlide cartridges will be even more expensive than the nearly-5000%-marked-up Fusion carts. (Update! Drugstore.com lists prices for the ProGlide cartridges, included below)

If you like a swiveling/pivoting cartridge, honestly 2 blades should suffice. I get BBS shave from my Atra Plus every time I use it. I found it quite silly to include the "precision trimmer" because I wouldn't need it if the damn cartridge wasn't so fat with its 5 blades! I can get under my nose just fine with the more narrow twin-blade cartridges. Take this for example:

Drugstore.com lists the following prices:
Gillette Atra Plus: $11.49 for a 10-pack = $1.15 per cartridge
Gillette Fusion ProGlide: $15.99 for a 4-pack = $4.00 per cartridge
or, if you assume you can fit the old Fusion blades on your new ProGlide handle (much like the Mach 3, Mach 3 Turbo, and M3 Power are all cross-compatible):
Gillette Fusion "Manual": $34.99 for a 12-pack = $2.92 per cartridge

Put differently, if you wanted 60 cartridges, here's what it would cost you from Drugstore.com before shipping/tax/etc:
Atra Plus: $68.94
Fusion: $174.95
Fusion ProGlide: $239.85
And your coupon was for $3.00 off :blink:

Now also keep in mind that you can find generic cartridges that fit the Atra Plus due to the wonders of the laws surrounding Patents. Personna's "Twin Pivot Plus" carts can be found on Amazon.com for $21.99 per 50-pack, each cartridge now effectively costing about $0.44!
And it gets better! Many people can find Atra carts at their local dollar store. I can regularly find 5-packs for a buck each, bringing the cost per cartridge to about 22 cents including tax! And yes, they work just fine! Wait, "just fine?" I meant "damn fine!"

And finally, yes, Atra handles aren't readily available at any drugstore or supermarket to my knowledge. Still, Colonel Conk makes a nice, hefty metal handle that can be had for around $18, and it makes the whole "no pressure" thing easier. Even with that, your cost per shave will be considerably cheaper than with Fusion.

But, yeah...Let us know how your ProGlide works out! :biggrin1:

Last edited:
$4 per cartridge?? Seriously?? Does anyone else think Gillette is totally out of touch with the reality of the typical American, especially those hard hit by the economic crisis?

No thanks, I will gladly use my Trac II/ DE/ SE/ Injector, and Straight razors!! :w00t::tongue_sm

Does anyone else think Gillette is totally out of touch with the reality of the typical American, especially those hard hit by the economic crisis?

When I really thought about it, seeing Derek Jeter in recent Gillette web ads was their kiss of death!

/Derek Jeter plays baseball for the New York Yankees
//Endorsements from professional athletes don't come cheaply
///My favorite baseball teams are the Anaheim Angels, and whoever is playing against the Yankees!

$4 per cartridge?? Seriously?? Does anyone else think Gillette is totally out of touch with the reality of the typical American, especially those hard hit by the economic crisis?

No thanks, I will gladly use my Trac II/ DE/ SE/ Injector, and Straight razors!! :w00t::tongue_sm

Sure they are out of touch with reality, but I cannot help being fascinated by the fact that they manage to sell such poor quality products at such ridiculous prices. It just goes to show that with enough money for marketing you can sell anything and you can even get away with contradictory marketing messages. Thus, during a recent holiday in Sweden, on the one hand I saw a "discount" 12 pack fusion box advertising up to 120 shaves. On the other hand tv-commercials showing a fusion user going to his local fusion service shop, seeing his grotesquely magnified fusion on the jack and the mechanic telling him that a fresh blade is always better than a used one.

Alas, Gillette is not a saint and they know exactly what they are doing, they probably do not give a fig about their users economic situation, it is all about squeezing as much money out of them as possible whilst making them believe that they are getting "the best a man can get".

Last edited:
Put differently, if you wanted 60 cartridges, here's what it would cost you from Drugstore.com before shipping/tax/etc:
Atra Plus: $68.94
Fusion: $174.95
Fusion ProGlide: $239.85
And your coupon was for $3.00 off :blink:

GEEZ! :yikes: I'll stick with my favorite DE blades (IP) at less than .15 each :thumbup1:

Top Bottom