What's new

Price and Unscented

So from B&B, i have learned that i do NOT want any of that scented crap.

Does anyone have a suggestion of a good quality low cost after shave? I get bad razor burn and red bumps after I shave. Also, sometimes, if I go too many days w/o shaving, I get red bumps as well. *Sigh*

Any help is appreciated :thumbup1: :001_smile

Not sure how B&B taught you not to use a scented after shave - some of the most highly recommended products are scented.

Also, focus on good technique to reduce irritation.

I have found Nivea's sensitive after shave balm to be competent, if used sparingly (as to avoid that greasy feeling from using too much). I used to use a nice witch hazel as a splash, and then rub a little Nivea ASB into my skin to finish.

Remember, start with what you think is too little product. It goes a long way.

Someone on B&B said that the scented stuff actually irritates your skin. I threw away the scented crap I had. I did notice a little less irritation.

I like Nivea's product as that is what I've been using. Although, I should probably use less, heh.

Someone was wrong, or you misunderstood them.
It's possible that you are allergic to ingredients in a specific A/S, but in general irritation comes from a bad shave - if you're getting bad results you need to work on the usual prep/product/pressure/technique issues.

Someone was wrong, or you misunderstood them.
It's possible that you are allergic to ingredients in a specific A/S, but in general irritation comes from a bad shave - if you're getting bad results you need to work on the usual prep/product/pressure/technique issues.

Yep.

This is more appropriate for other forums, namely newby or general, but:

what's your equipment/prep/process?

Well it was mostly that the stuff they put in those after shaves and shaving creams can aggravate sensitive skin. Come to think of it, maybe they just said shaving cream and I took it to include after shave as well. Like I said, I did notice a difference when I switched after shave so who knows.

As for equipment and such, I use a Mach 3. I know I should get a safety razor and may at some point. I thought of finding a 2 blade razor to attempt to avoid irritation even more.

Procedure.. I usually wash face, lather up very well with Aveeno natural, let sit for a while to set in to hairs, then shave. I try to go slow, with hair, and be very gentle. Usually on the right side of my neck, I will miss hairs. Also, that is where my razor burn is the worst.

Well it was mostly that the stuff they put in those after shaves and shaving creams can aggravate sensitive skin. Come to think of it, maybe they just said shaving cream and I took it to include after shave as well. Like I said, I did notice a difference when I switched after shave so who knows.

As for equipment and such, I use a Mach 3. I know I should get a safety razor and may at some point. I thought of finding a 2 blade razor to attempt to avoid irritation even more.

Procedure.. I usually wash face, lather up very well with Aveeno natural, let sit for a while to set in to hairs, then shave. I try to go slow, with hair, and be very gentle. Usually on the right side of my neck, I will miss hairs. Also, that is where my razor burn is the worst.

Hey nwabcs!

Welcome aboard. I agree that the scented aftershave thing probably doesn't have anything to do with irritation. What you need to do is get your technique down. Once that's under control, you can explore the wonderful world of scented aftershaves. Why don't you make a post over at the "Shave Clinic and Newbie Check-In?" Also, check out all the stickies. There is an unbelievable amount of good information. Good luck!

Thanks for the welcomes all.. but i'm not exactly new. I do have a lot of common sense and newbie questions though. :laugh:

Top Bottom