What's new

Recommend a good soap in a bowl

As the title says. I'm looking for a good (fancier) soap that comes in a nice bowl.

I currently use a couple of shave sticks (Speick, Palmolive, La Toja, Arko) and use creams as well (Speick, Proraso, TOBS Avocado, EJ sea buckthorn). I really enjoy all of these.

I want to purchase a very good quality soap with a more masculine scent. Thinking along the lines of Geo. F Trumper, TOBS, EJ/Muehle, Floris, Penhaligons, etc. I want the soap to produce a slick, hardy lather that doesn't tend to dissipate.

Not interested in Proraso or Tabac or soaps with scents of the following:

- Rose or other florals (light floral scents are ok)
- Almond
- Strong Citrus

Thanks for the help in advance.

There are plenty of soaps that match your requirements !!!

My little contribution :
L'Occitane Cade
ToBS/Trumper Sandalwood

If you're not stuck on a wood bowl, I'd recommend MWF in the ceramic dish. If I ever had to go down to one soap, that would be it - based on performance alone. The dish, will also last just about forever whereas the wood will certainly diminish.

I've tried the Harris Marlborough shave stick. While I think it is a good soap, I'm not a huge fan of the scent. I'm curious about the Arlington. Is Harris that much better than the 3T's?

MWF has lanolin I believe. Lanolin tends to make my skin break out.

How does Floris compare to Trumpers/TOBS? I like Floris's Santal, JF, Endymion, 89 scents a good bit.

Avoid the newer formulation of Pen's soaps. While the scents are incredible, the smell has nothing to do with shave quality, which is awful. Of the other ones that you list, I only have experience with Trumper's and TOBS. Trumper's soaps are definitely a step or two above TOBS, but TOBS still makes a very nice soap. It's not quite as thick or as dense as Trumper's shaving soaps, but it is still very nice if you like their sandalwood or lavender scent. I'm somewhat biased as TOBS Sandalwood was my first shaving soap, but I still go back to it and I'm never disappointed.

Also, you asked wether Harris is much better than the Trumpers or TOBS. In my experience, Harris (only tried Arlington) can be a bit particular on the water/soap ratio. It makes a fine lather that is comparable to Trumpers, but it sometimes takes a bit more care to produce. And for what it is worth, Arlington has both light citrus and light floral notes. But both are so light and subtle that I doubt it would be problematic for you.

Also, you didn't mention Art of Shaving (AOS), but it is worth considering. I thought they were gimmicky soaps based on the packaging and marketing. But upon a recommendation from someone I trust, I gave it a try. I only have the sandalwood scent and I really like it. It is definitely a step above Trumpers and Harris. It lathers easier and produce a little thicker, more cushiony, and protective lather than either.

As the title says. I'm looking for a good (fancier) soap that comes in a nice bowl.

I currently use a couple of shave sticks (Speick, Palmolive, La Toja, Arko) and use creams as well (Speick, Proraso, TOBS Avocado, EJ sea buckthorn). I really enjoy all of these.

I want to purchase a very good quality soap with a more masculine scent. Thinking along the lines of Geo. F Trumper, TOBS, EJ/Muehle, Floris, Penhaligons, etc. I want the soap to produce a slick, hardy lather that doesn't tend to dissipate.

Not interested in Proraso or Tabac or soaps with scents of the following:

- Rose or other florals (light floral scents are ok)
- Almond
- Strong Citrus

Thanks for the help in advance.

First that spring to mind:

Mitchell's Wool Fat in a ceramic bowl.
Geo. F. Trumpers Lime in a Bowl

or...

get yourself some British Leather in a wooden bowl by Mama Bear.
:thumbup1:

Art of Shaving. Any variety*.

Typical wood bowl / Outstanding performance

*I prefer sandalwood.

Last edited:
I think you'd like Sandalwood; I've used Trumper's and found the scent alright. The scent of the "matching" skin food is very different.

I was going to recommend D.R. Harris Marlborough until I read that you didn't prefer it. You probably can't go wrong with Taylor's or Art of Shaving.

I'll probably have to try the AOS Sandalwood. I was happy with the DR Harris Marlborough performance wise but the scent was just OK. I sold the shave stick and AS on the BST.

I appreciate the feed back. More suggestions are welcome. I may just have to buy several soaps and then filter through them with help on the BST. As usual for me.

I've tried the Harris Marlborough shave stick. While I think it is a good soap, I'm not a huge fan of the scent. I'm curious about the Arlington. Is Harris that much better than the 3T's?

I recommend DR Harris Lavender. The Arlington is citrusy, which you mentioned you don't want.

And, yes, in my experience, Harris is much better than the 3 T's.

I second the suggestion about L'Occitane Cade shaving soap. Light, pleasant scent. Creamy, very effective lather. Cool looking aluminum bowl and lid. And you can sniff-before-you-buy at the L'Occitane store.

Dave

Gentlemens best in the wood bowl, the smell is amazing and the lather is slick and rich and easy to produce consistently.

L'Occitane's Cade is a terrific recommendation. I've used it for a couple of years and have consistently gotten good shaves with it. I've even killed a puck!

And another recommendation for MWF in the ceramic dish. If I had to pick one soap to use for the rest of my life, it would be MWF.

Top Bottom