What's new

What to get next: Fraser's or Salter?

Hey guys,
Thinking about trying out a new cream and I'm having trouble deciding between the Fraser's vs a Salter cream. Any input would be appreciated!

What have you tried and enjoyed (and not enjoyed)?

Hmm...
I've tried and enjoyed: KMF Mint, Trumpers Rose/Coconut, Taylors Rose/Lavender

Not so much enjoyment from: Proraso(for some reason I get nicks with it, but not with others), Trumper's Sandalwood left me with a little irritation

I love the Sandalwood scent, so I was drawn a little more toward the Salter Sandalwood, but the Fraser's sounds nice as well, and if I order that I can also put in an order for the Lanolin Hair Cream which I've heard great things about...
I'm just not sure I'll like the scent of Fraser's.

I like a thick protective lather, and I've been able to get that with most everything I've tried except Proraso for some reason...

I have not tried the Fraser stuff, but Salter creams work excellently for me. The Mint is one of my favorites.

Dennis

Yeah, a while back I think I got some Salter Lime from Scotto, and thought it was really nice. I also like the thick lather from the Body Shop cream, but the scent is pretty forgettable.

Thanks!

Would you say the lather from these creams compares favorably to that of Taylors(or should I just get some more Taylors/Trumpers...)?

I'm a bit biased because I'm ready to name my next kid Taylor Avocado :biggrin: They're probably close, but Taylor is still my favorite. I'm going to be getting some SCS in the next week or so, and I've heard really good things about Sue's shave creams.

You really can't go wrong with either product. I enjoy both of them quite a bit.

The Frasers has a very light scent so I wouldn't consider it much of a factor.

If you order the Frasers you certainly will want to get a few products to help off-set the cost of shipping.

You really can't go wrong with either product. I enjoy both of them quite a bit.

The Frasers has a very light scent so I wouldn't consider it much of a factor.

If you order the Frasers you certainly will want to get a few products to help off-set the cost of shipping.

Would you say Frasers is on the same level as KMF or a little better/worse?

Thanks!

Just trying to find out before dropping almost $15 just on s/h!
Also, any other products besides the Booster Lanolin Hair Cream that you could recommend adding to offset the shipping costs?

I've never used the Frasers (I plan on picking some up when I head to Toronto in May) but I really like the Salters. I currently have the Mint and Citrus with Rose and Lime on the horizon. Both the mint and citrus lather the same way so I imagine any of the flavors will be comparable. IMHO, I have yet to find a cream that provides a better more consistent shave than Salters. As a matter of fact, IF I had to only have one shave product I would pick the Salter's Mint.

Would you say Frasers is on the same level as KMF or a little better/worse?

Thanks!

Just trying to find out before dropping almost $15 just on s/h!
Also, any other products besides the Booster Lanolin Hair Cream that you could recommend adding to offset the shipping costs?

I've never used KMF, but I have used a lot of different creams and the Frasers is certainly one of the best. Polar Ice (their aftershave splash) is another very nice product.

The Frasers is a very good product that doesn't get much press because its only available in Canada. As far as I know, everyone on the board who's used it has either had it shipped from the sole Canadian supplier, has had it sent from a B&B member in Canada or has purchased it when in Toronto.

I like the product so much that I gave it to my two B&B secret santa recipients along with a large decant of the Booster Aquarius aftershave (Clubman clone). Both really enjoyed it and I have just sent several bottles of Booster aftershave (in various flavours) to one of these people.

Comparing the Frasers to Salter is a bit like comparing apples to oranges. While I've not used the Salter, I've used several high-end English creams and they're very different from Frasers. The key difference is that the Fraser makes a wetter, glossier - and in my view slicker lather than most of the English creams. It shaves very well and is very nice on the skin. The scent is a very light lemon-lime that fades quickly. I'm not a huge fan of the citrus scents (I've actually given away tubes of lime cream after a couple of uses), but use the Frasers regularly because it performs so well.

The other difference is that the Salter is a "luxury" product, while the Frasers is more of a "barbershop" product. The manufacturer of Frasers has a few retail stores, but caters primarily to the barber/salon trade. The fact that the Frasers has been sold for almost 50 years is a testament to its quality. Its also dirt cheap - a huge 450ml tub for $10.

The Booster aftershaves are also traditional "barbershop" products, they have a range of flavours Polar Ice (Aqua Velva clone), Aquarius, Mosswood, Bay Rum, Lilac, Oriental Spice, Iced Lime and a few others. If you can get past the bright colours, they're good products (very little sting even though they are alcohol based). Again, great values at $8 for a 14oz bottle.

Finally, the Booster Lanolin hair cream is great - I use it every day. Its not greasy, washes out and provides light-to-medium control. It also conditions the hair. It too is a steal - $8 for a 16oz bottle - I use about an almond-sized amount and, after about 8 months, still have well over 1/2 of my bottle left.

I know I sound like a shill for the company, but I think they're all great products - at great prices.

The only downside is that shipping is a killer - A tub of Frasers will cost about $13 to ship - so adding at least one more product is a good idea to make it worthwhile - it would only likely cost a few dollars more to add the Lanolin hair cream. I just shipped 4 bottles of the aftershave for $15. The only issue is that they may not ship the aftershave because Canada Post won't (knowingly:wink: ) carry it.

Here's the link to the vendor:
http://thebeautyfactory.com/barber.htm

So, if you have some English creams, I'd go for the Fraser - its a different beast altogether and you'll be amazed at the performance from such an inexpensive shaving cream.

As for comparison with KMF, all I can say is that Fraser's kicks KMF's *** - no comparison at all.

Hope this helps.

Well here is my .02...

Salters is great...the English Cream that doesn't really get the respect of the 3 T's. This really shouldn't be the case...I have the Citrus, Sandlewood and Vetiver and they all perform outstanding.

I just received a sample tub from a very nice gentleman on this board of the Fraser's. I don't see how this scent could bother anyone. As previously stated it is just a mild lemon-lime clean scent. It is slated for tomorrow's shave so we will see how it works. From all that I have read though I can't see it as being a disappointment. The only reason I hadn't picked it up before was the shipping cost.

Having not tried the Salter's (yet), I can only state that you owe it to yourself (and your face specifically) to try the Fraser's cream. Simply put... amazing performance, and quite possibly the best shaving cream in existence, from a purely price-driven vs. performance aspect.

I used my Frasers again this morning.

I whipped up a big mugful with my B&B finest and got yet another smooth comfortable shave.

This stuff is very slick - it can be a bit tricky to lather as it likes a lot of water.

All I can say is that I've used the Frasers with all types of DE, GEM, injector, cartridge and straight razors and have always gotten good results.

I used the Frasers for the first time this morning...it does produce a slick lather. I find it creates a lather similar to SCS's Bay Rum with a Twist...both take quite a bit of water.

They will both provide an excellent shave...IMHO it comes down to scent.

Top Bottom