What's new

Shaving Issue - lower neck

I have an interesting shaving issue that has brought me into the B&B world. I have problem shaving ED or even EOD...mainly on my lower neck area. It's gets very irritated if I shave too close together (in days). If I shave back to back days, I get what looks like 50 pin pricks (tiny spot bleeding) all along the base of my neck (south of adam's apple)...and it is very irritated too.

I use a best badger brush. Have been using Proraso/C&E/Cella and have recently dropped a few hundered dollars on Valobra, Karite, Cella, and a full line up of Castle Forbes (pre and post too). I have used (let the hazing begin) Sensors, Mach3's, and now Fusions. Whether dull or sharp I can chew up my neck area with back to back shaves. I now have a Merkur 34C and the 100 blade sampler from WCS on its way...but wonder if it will help or am I doing something wrong that will repeat itself with the DE.

I usually shave after I shower, sometimes preshave products, nice and rich lather, shave WTG, re-lather, shave ATG and stretching my skin taught, and it feels horrible on my lower neck (almost like ripping). 48+ hours in between shaves...not much of an issue on my lower neck. Razor issue? Pressing too hard? WTH?

Thought I would make a post and get some suggestions. Thanks B&B!

Welcome to B&B - I know it isn't your first post, but it's the first time I've seen you in the clinic.

What do you mean by "ED" and "EOD"? "Every day" and "every other day"?

Sorry to hear about those weepers and the irritation. You probably realize that you may be removing skin along with the stubble, leading to both problems. I would start by dropping the ATG pass and the skin stretching, then see what happens.

If you can do WTG comfortably for a few days or weeks, then you might add an XTG pass. Some folks simply can't do ATG - that's ok. It's better to have some mostly-invisible stubble than visible irritation.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Make sure that you are not using any pressure at any time. This is a no pressure shaving and you need to let the razor and blade do the work. If you are pressing, you might end up with nicks/cuts/weepers and ingrown hairs.

Also, trying another blade can help you!

Welcome to B&B Suna
Two questions:

1. How long have you been DE shaving? Reason I ask is that if you are like me, your skin will toughen up...I also had neck problems, but it went away. Hang in there:001_cool:.

2. Do you use pressure with the 34C? It is natural to want to use pressure...but just let the weight of the blade and gravity do the work...your job is just to steer the blade where you want it.

Cheers,
-Robert

My apologies on some confusion. I have been getting this issue with cartridge blades (many types) so I decided to order a DE (not very impressed with my order to WCS so far) to see if that would make a difference. Like I mentioned also ordered the 100 blade sampler. Should hopefully be here soon.

No joke...I have spent close to $400 in a few days ordering new shaving products, razor, and blades. :blushing: I hope I can figure this problem out.

Thanks!

Luc

Staff member
My apologies on some confusion. I have been getting this issue with cartridge blades (many types) so I decided to order a DE (not very impressed with my order to WCS so far) to see if that would make a difference. Like I mentioned also ordered the 100 blade sampler. Should hopefully be here soon.

No joke...I have spent close to $400 in a few days ordering new shaving products, razor, and blades. :blushing: I hope I can figure this problem out.

Thanks!

You probably went a bit high on buying things! When you get started, I think that less than $100 is enough to get a razor, some blades, shaving brush, shaving soap or shaving cream and an aftershave.

With the cartridges, the only way that I found to cut myself with those was to apply a good amount of pressure while shaving. Make sure that you are not applying any with the DE.

Also, don't expect the best shave, it might take a lot of practice to develop the perfect shave!

I'm a newbie too, but I've found that I only include the lower neck on my first WTG pass, as the skin is more sensitive, and the hair is not quite as thick. I, too, have some serious burn if i go over that section with too many passes.

YNMV (Your Neck May Vary)

The answer won't be in spending huge amounts of cash looking for the 'best' products. It will be in getting your technique down. And for that, less products and experimentation is going to make that process a lot easier and quicker.

Welcome to B&B - I know it isn't your first post, but it's the first time I've seen you in the clinic.

What do you mean by "ED" and "EOD"? "Every day" and "every other day"?

Sorry to hear about those weepers and the irritation. You probably realize that you may be removing skin along with the stubble, leading to both problems. I would start by dropping the ATG pass and the skin stretching, then see what happens.

If you can do WTG comfortably for a few days or weeks, then you might add an XTG pass. Some folks simply can't do ATG - that's ok. It's better to have some mostly-invisible stubble than visible irritation.

Sound advice. :thumbup1: When I first started I had to relearn blade angle and ease off the pressure.

You probably went a bit high on buying things! When you get started, I think that less than $100 is enough to get a razor, some blades, shaving brush, shaving soap or shaving cream and an aftershave.

Thanks for your input. However, without buying things to try how else am I going to know if I like them? :wink: Every consumer has different ways of purchasing their products...I don't mind spending money on multiple products to find what works for me (or to determine my personal preference).

Thanks for your input. However, without buying things to try how else am I going to know if I like them? :wink: Every consumer has different ways of purchasing their products...I don't mind spending money on multiple products to find what works for me (or to determine my personal preference).

Agreed, it's fun to buy stuff. But keep in mind that switching products too often is bad for most folks' learning curve. You will probably develop technique more quickly if you stick with one razor, soap (or cream), brush, and brand of blade for a month or two. Even before your 34c arrives, I would recommend going back to the sensor and sticking with one soap or cream for a while.

Luc

Staff member

Agreed, it's fun to buy stuff. But keep in mind that switching products too often is bad for most folks' learning curve. You will probably develop technique more quickly if you stick with one razor, soap (or cream), brush, and brand of blade for a month or two. Even before your 34c arrives, I would recommend going back to the sensor and sticking with one soap or cream for a while.

You answered for me! :biggrin:

As said above, use light pressure and also make sure the angle is correct. There is an angle where the DE blade will dig into your neck and there is an angle where it will be cutting the hairs with minimum skin contact. Try keep adjusting and doing little parts until it feels most comfortable.

Remember the angle of your neck changes a lot and you will need to adjust as the angle does.

Also for ATG the angle is a bit less than for WTG.

Finally if you face is sore you need to let it heal a few days until you try again or it will just get worse.

Make sure you are going with the grain. I had this problem on my neck until I discovered that I was actually going against the grain. Do this until you are shaving with no irritation...then venture for the against the grain.

Top Bottom