What's new

Advice: Upper lip problem area

I have about five months of experience now, and I've pretty much settled into a routine. I think my prep, soap and brush are adequate. My Merkur Vision (set on "S") and Crystal blade are up to the task. I do a three-pass shave with a touch-up pass, and my face gets a consistent, comfortable BBS shave every time---EXCEPT for the upper lip area at the corners of my mouth.

I am stumped! No amount of variant of WTG, XTG and ATG passes seems to work.

I need help and suggestions. Should I try another razor in these areas? My former Mach 3 seems to be a better, more consistent performer. I hate to keep one on hand just for this.

What do you think?

Codfish:001_cool:

Last edited:
What is the problem with your upper lip area?

If you can get a close shave try putting your upper lip over your teeth to stretch it. And NO pressure when doing this.

No matter what I've done, there is always stubble above the corners of my mouth. I've cut/scratched the corners every time I tried to get a close shave there.

Codfish

Last edited:
What I have been doing for "touch ups" is J hooking. I set my Gillette adjustable to a 3 setting and go VERY gently. Also, for the touch up only I use a brushless shaving cream and apply it very lightly to keep the skin lubricated.

My probem area was always just below the nose. It was difficult to get the big blade there. However, going ATG with a very light motion works for me.

Get in there with hands, tongue, etc. and go super slow. With enough finagling, you'll eventually get it. But it'll take some time at first. Slow is the key.

What the above posters said.
Try gently skin tugging to get those last few whiskers. Go slow and be sure to have lather on your target.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
For the corners, I usually do the "O" face to stretch the skin and have a better access in the corners!

Puffing out my face worked for me. Also using my tongue to push it out. Then using a LIGHT touch to remove the stubble.

For the corners, I usually do the "O" face to stretch the skin and have a better access in the corners!

I use both techniques, on successive passes: I make an "Oh!" face for a N-S pass and an ear-to-nose pass, then switch to puffed-out cheeks and lips for a second ear-to-nose pass. Sometimes I'll do a touch-up S-N as well.

I used to have this problem too. I found out that I don't really prep my upper lip area as much as I do the rest of my face, small target I guess. But I found with some more brush strokes and very slow, watchful passes worked out great for me. I also move my lip to the side and it will give me a pretty flat area to shave. You'll get it.

Wooooeeee!!! I tried a little J-stroking in the touch-up round and took my time and puffed my cheeks and MAN, I got the best shave ever! Thanks everyone, I think I may finally be getting this....

Codfish

Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Razor: Merkur Vision|Merkur 38C|Gillette Super Speed '64
Blades: Crystal|Feather|Derby
Brush: Edwin Jagger Best Badger, 23mm
Soap: Prairie Creations Tallow--lavender, rose|Ogallala Bay Rum & Sandalwood
Cream: Cremo|Proraso
A/S, Balm: Ogallala Bay Rum|Tabac|Booster's Polar Ice|Prairie Creations Aftershave Balm
Cologne: Montale Black Aoud|C&S #88|Usher VIP

Last edited:
I have about five months of experience now, and I've pretty much settled into a routine. I think my prep, soap and brush are adequate. My Merkur Vision (set on "S") and Crystal blade are up to the task. I do a three-pass shave with a touch-up pass, and my face gets a consistent, comfortable BBS shave every time---EXCEPT for the upper lip area at the corners of my mouth.

I am stumped! No amount of variant of WTG, XTG and ATG passes seems to work.

I need help and suggestions. Should I try another razor in these areas? My former Mach 3 seems to be a better, more consistent performer. I hate to keep one on hand just for this.

What do you think?

Codfish:001_cool:

That's one of the final frontiers standing in the way of a great shave. I've struck oil there even after I improved in other areas, including the upper lip. That and the chin are tough. It all comes to touch and blade angle for me, and practice gives you an added awareness of what you're doing.

Top Bottom