What's new

Astra green vs Astra blue

Could anyone comment on the difference between the Astra green boxed razors compared to the Astra blues. Im looking to pick up some of the greens but I would like to know what the difference is between the two first. Thank you!

One is labeled superior stainless and the other superior platinum. I guess my question is which performs better?

S

siouxsie

The Superior Platinums are platinum coated and the stainless are not (surprise!).

I'm sure they both have the polymer coating. In my experience, the platinums are sharper and smoother.

In my experience the platinums are sharper and the stainless are smoother. There's not alot that seperates them, they provide very similar shaves. The stainless are the ones I can shave ATG with, get BBS with zero irritation. If I was only shaving with 2 passes the platinum would cut more whisker, but I'm never in a hurry when I shave these days. Stainless by a whisker.

In my experience the platinums are sharper and the stainless are smoother.
This is the reverse of my findings, with the stainless blades having a slightly sharper feel while the platinums being slightly smoother. Both blades are close enough in performance as to allow me to recommend both for shaving.

This is the reverse of my findings, with the stainless blades having a slightly sharper feel while the platinums being slightly smoother. Both blades are close enough in performance as to allow me to recommend both for shaving.

This is my experience as well.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy

I agree.
The Astra Platinum blades are slightly smoother than the Stainless, but both are excellent.

The Astra platinum's slightly edge ahead of the blue stainless blades for both smoothness and sharpness. Both are good performers though.

Ok sounds like the platinum blades might edge out the stainless. I think I'll try them.

try both. I used Platinums first due to the 'general concensus' here. they are a great blade giving me great shaves 95% of the time, with the occasional weeper and mild neck irritation. I scored a bunch of Stainless for a song, was reluctant to try them though, thinking they must be inferior. what a suprise it was to find I preferred the shave of the stainless. zero irritation and wonderful BBS shaves. that ol mileage thing.

The bottom line is the majority of blades made in St. Petersburg including Astra's are generally very good blades and certainly worth a punt.

I've used both the SS and SP's and can hardly tell the difference between the two. If I did a blind shave test I couldn't tell you which one was which.

I've used both the SS and SP's and can hardly tell the difference between the two. If I did a blind shave test I couldn't tell you which one was which.

I wonder how many of us who shaved with 2 different blades without knowing which was which would truly know. We all have good and bad days shaving, the variables outside of blade choice play a part in our much defended brand loyalty.

I wonder how many of us who shaved with 2 different blades without knowing which was which would truly know. We all have good and bad days shaving, the variables outside of blade choice play a part in our much defended brand loyalty.
I imagine day-to-day shaving variance is actually greater than the brand variance, provided the brands are not overly cheap or high-end. You'll certainly notice a difference between a Feather versus a Shogun blade, despite the similar packaging. However, if the blades are generally well known then the difference become more subtle, at least for most people. That's why you should shave for a while with a blade before coming to conclusion regarding it. Generally, this amounts to using a 5 pack of blades.

Completely agree. I think both are excellent, and friendlier than the Feather. I can use them in every razor with good results.

When you visit NYC the blue Astra's sell quite reasonably at Pasteur Pharmacy. Two locations 34'th St or 59th St. They may mail order them.

Top Bottom