What's new

Ultimate Newbie Start Up Shave Den

So I was thinking recently, if I had to do it all over again, how would I do it? And then I thought, wouldn’t it be fun to come up with a list of must-haves from my experience, with a focus on the best bang for the buck items for the newbie. So here it is:

Brush:
Omega Boar or Tweezerman Badger

Razor:
Merkur HD or Edwin Jagger 89/86

Blade:
Red Pack Israeli Personas

Creams:
Kiss My Face (unscented, lime, mint, lavender – get the tubes, not the pumps to begin with)

Soaps:
Tabac (because why mess around with anything else for starters?)

Aftershave:
Pinaud Clubman
Superior 70 bay rum
Flag & Sail Old Spice clone from CVS or Dollar Store
Mennen Skin Bracer or Acqua Velva (smell first, see which you like better, and buy)

Balm:
Clubman Complete or Nivea Extreme Comfort

And there you have it. To me, this combo is the perfect newbie bang for the buck start up shave den – all the absolute must haves, plus a touch of decadence foreshadowing things to come. And total price tag for all of it should come under $100. How do ya like them apples?

Next acquisitions should include: Shark blades, Taylor creams, Arko creams, Godrej creams, Speick cream & aftershave, Musgo aftershave, Artisan vendor: SCS particularly sandalwood aftershave, Proraso, Clubman Special Reserve, and Thayer’s Witch Hazel.

From there on, you’re hooked and sky’s the limit! (sure has been with me!!!! Hello AD!!!!) Actually, I take it back. From then on, if you are smart (read: unlike me), you should ALWAYS buy samples of the expensive stuff first, or trade for them, before plunking down a ton of jack and realizing you don't like the product.

As always, YMMV.

What do you think? :biggrin1:

Last edited:
i would get the kMF pumps because if you know where to buy them they can be bought for 2 bucks more a piece and they are great cremes. you can use them to practice making lather.If you dont like them they are cheap enough to throw away or pif....

blades i would say. derby, astra, and red personna.

Are you looking for other people's thoughts? Well, here's what I would do if I were to have to start over:

Shaving Brush: Edwin Jagger Best Badger Medium

DE Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89(L)

Shaving Cream: Proraso or TOBS (Whichever 'flavor' you want)

Shaving Soap: None, seeing as how I STILL can't lather a soap correctly :lol:

Blades: Sampler Pack

Aftershave: Speick, Proraso

Balms: Something from Saint Charles

Other Stuff: Witch Hazel (Dickinson's or Thayers), and an Alum Block, whatever cheap lather bowl you can find at Goodwill or wherever, and a descent brush/razor stand.

I'm kinda biased toward the EJ brush and razor since they were my first and I think they represent an incredible value for the money.

I went down the 'buy any and all aftershave's I could find at my local drug/grocery store' road and now wish I would have gone with one or two quality aftershaves.

I also started with the Proraso shaving cream which I absolutely love, but then bought some The Real Shaving Company cream, which isn't bad, but not good for me. Just got a couple tubs of Tobs and love it so I would get one or two of those to start also.

The blades, I got a free pack of Derby's with my razor then got a couple packs of personna's and gillette's from wal-mart/rite-aid and they were not good blades. So I would go straight to the sampler pack and find the right one for you.

Tons of different combos you could go with here but I would go with quality stuff right off the bat, it WILL save you money in the long run. That does not mean most expensive stuff, quality at a good price is what you want

Try to find places that have free shipping if you spend a certain amount so you're getting all product for your money and not on shipping.

Brush:
Omega Boar or Tweezerman Badger

Razor:
Merkur HD or Edwin Jagger 89/86

Blade:
Red Pack Israeli Personas

Creams:
Kiss My Face (unscented, lime, mint, lavender – get the tubes, not the pumps to begin with)

Soaps:
Tabac (because why mess around with anything else for starters?)

Aftershave:
Pinaud Clubman
Superior 70 bay rum
Flag & Sail Old Spice clone from CVS or Dollar Store
Mennen Skin Bracer or Acqua Velva (smell first, see which you like better, and buy)

Balm:
Clubman Complete or Nivea Extreme Comfort

And there you have it. To me, this combo is the perfect newbie bang for the buck start up shave den – all the absolute must haves, plus a touch of decadence foreshadowing things to come. And total price tag for all of it should come under $100. How do ya like them apples?

From there on, you’re hooked and sky’s the limit! (sure has been with me!!!! Hello AD!!!!) Actually, I take it back. From then on, if you are smart (read: unlike me), you should ALWAYS buy samples of the expensive stuff first, or trade for them, before plunking down a ton of jack and realizing you don't like the product.

As always, YMMV.

What do you think?:biggrin1:

Excellent!

Top Bottom