Thread: Ultimate Newbie Start Up Shave Den

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Ultimate Newbie Start Up Shave Den

So I was thinking recently, if I had to do it all over again, how would I do it? And then I thought, wouldn’t it be fun to come up with a list of must-haves from my experience, with a focus on the best bang for the buck items for the newbie. So here it is:

Brush:
    Omega Boar or Tweezerman Badger

Razor:
    Merkur HD or Edwin Jagger 89/86

Blade:
    Red Pack Israeli Personas

Creams:
    Kiss My Face (unscented, lime, mint, lavender – get the tubes, not the pumps to begin with)

Soaps:
    Tabac (because why mess around with anything else for starters?)

Aftershave:
    Pinaud Clubman
    Superior 70 bay rum
    Flag & Sail Old Spice clone from CVS or Dollar Store
    Mennen Skin Bracer or Acqua Velva (smell first, see which you like better, and buy)

Balm:
    Clubman Complete or Nivea Extreme Comfort

And there you have it. To me, this combo is the perfect newbie bang for the buck start up shave den – all the absolute must haves, plus a touch of decadence foreshadowing things to come. And total price tag for all of it should come under $100. How do ya like them apples?

Next acquisitions should include: Shark blades, Taylor creams, Arko creams, Godrej creams, Speick cream & aftershave, Musgo aftershave, Artisan vendor: SCS particularly sandalwood aftershave, Proraso, Clubman Special Reserve, and Thayer’s Witch Hazel.

From there on, you’re hooked and sky’s the limit! (sure has been with me!!!! Hello AD!!!!) Actually, I take it back. From then on, if you are smart (read: unlike me), you should ALWAYS buy samples of the expensive stuff first, or trade for them, before plunking down a ton of jack and realizing you don't like the product.

As always, YMMV.

What do you think?
    Last edited by christhach; 05-31-2010 at 05:31 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

Impressive list of accouterments!
    -Rich-

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference." Robert Frost

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

i would get the kMF pumps because if you know where to buy them they can be bought for 2 bucks more a piece and they are great cremes. you can use them to practice making lather.If you dont like them they are cheap enough to throw away or pif....

blades i would say. derby, astra, and red personna.
    -Chris
    All my life I was told, "kill them with kindness." So therefore I became a young gentleman.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Images

Wink

The only thing you are missing is a quality brush.
    Jim P. - Chandler, Arizona

ackvil
    (at) badgerandblade.com

Arizona Retro Shave Enthusiast.
    Any questions? Just ask! Since I may not read all of the posts feel free to PM or Email me.

"Winning is like shaving - do it every day or you wind up looking like a bum." Jack Kemp.
    "Be a gentleman at all times. Shine your shoes, shave every day, be considerate of others, and don't chew with your mouth open." Words of advice from my late mother.

Check Out the B&B YouTube Channel and the B&B Video Library for some great information.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ackvil View Post
    The only thing you are missing is a quality brush.
    Jeepers! How did I miss that? Thanks, it has been corrected in the post!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Are you looking for other people's thoughts? Well, here's what I would do if I were to have to start over:

Shaving Brush: Edwin Jagger Best Badger Medium

DE Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89(L)

Shaving Cream: Proraso or TOBS (Whichever 'flavor' you want)

Shaving Soap: None, seeing as how I STILL can't lather a soap correctly

Blades: Sampler Pack

Aftershave: Speick, Proraso

Balms: Something from Saint Charles

Other Stuff: Witch Hazel (Dickinson's or Thayers), and an Alum Block, whatever cheap lather bowl you can find at Goodwill or wherever, and a descent brush/razor stand.

I'm kinda biased toward the EJ brush and razor since they were my first and I think they represent an incredible value for the money.

I went down the 'buy any and all aftershave's I could find at my local drug/grocery store' road and now wish I would have gone with one or two quality aftershaves.

I also started with the Proraso shaving cream which I absolutely love, but then bought some The Real Shaving Company cream, which isn't bad, but not good for me. Just got a couple tubs of Tobs and love it so I would get one or two of those to start also.

The blades, I got a free pack of Derby's with my razor then got a couple packs of personna's and gillette's from wal-mart/rite-aid and they were not good blades. So I would go straight to the sampler pack and find the right one for you.

Tons of different combos you could go with here but I would go with quality stuff right off the bat, it WILL save you money in the long run. That does not mean most expensive stuff, quality at a good price is what you want

Try to find places that have free shipping if you spend a certain amount so you're getting all product for your money and not on shipping.
    The Essentials:
    Edwin Jagger DE89
    Edwin Jagger Medium Best Badger Brush

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by christhach View Post
    Brush:
    Omega Boar or Tweezerman Badger

Razor:
    Merkur HD or Edwin Jagger 89/86

Blade:
    Red Pack Israeli Personas

Creams:
    Kiss My Face (unscented, lime, mint, lavender – get the tubes, not the pumps to begin with)

Soaps:
    Tabac (because why mess around with anything else for starters?)

Aftershave:
    Pinaud Clubman
    Superior 70 bay rum
    Flag & Sail Old Spice clone from CVS or Dollar Store
    Mennen Skin Bracer or Acqua Velva (smell first, see which you like better, and buy)

Balm:
    Clubman Complete or Nivea Extreme Comfort

And there you have it. To me, this combo is the perfect newbie bang for the buck start up shave den – all the absolute must haves, plus a touch of decadence foreshadowing things to come. And total price tag for all of it should come under $100. How do ya like them apples?

From there on, you’re hooked and sky’s the limit! (sure has been with me!!!! Hello AD!!!!) Actually, I take it back. From then on, if you are smart (read: unlike me), you should ALWAYS buy samples of the expensive stuff first, or trade for them, before plunking down a ton of jack and realizing you don't like the product.

As always, YMMV.

What do you think?
    Excellent!
    Phil