What's new

Would you buy from a site that sells only vintage razors and vintage shaving items?

What would you think if there was a site like West Coast Shaving or any other vendor site except they just sold vintage razors and vintage shaving stuff?

How many would consider buying from such a site? As long as they sold good quality razors for a very fair price lets say the same going prices as in the BST not the ridiculous eBay prices.

I think I myself would feel more comfortable buying from the site as long as they had some rep. Then I would know I would be getting a quality item and not having to take a chance.

As you have indicated in your post, it would depend on the reputation and other factors, such as price, service levels and policies. With that said, I see no reason not to if you are confident in the establishment.

How about also something like a trade in program? Like you have 2 nice superspeed you want to get rid of and want a fatboy you simply send in the superspeed and get the fatboy.

Interesting concept, but how would the site make any money? The trade in razors would have to be marked up some, or traded in at a reduced price, probably easier to just stick with B/S/T here.

I'd see it as similar to buying from an antique dealer.
A store, web based or brick and mortar would have to cover costs of running the business.
I don't think it would work out too well

I'd take a look at it, but with the necessity of paying overhead and turning even a small profit, I don't know how it could be competitive with the BST forum.

Well the trade in program would just be a part of the site it wouldn't be the only thing. It would still sell items too otherwise the site would be nothing other than the BST.

I was thinking of doing something like this though. I've always enjoyed buying razors and cleaning and polishing them up. I guess its cause I know I'm saving them from the trash and giving them a second life. I never did it for the profit but just cause I find it fun. I sell the the razors only to buy new razors to fix up.

But now being a full time enginneering student its hard to have a job with little flexibility in the hours you work. Thats why I was thinking of doing something like this where the hours are more flexible. Plus it would be a little nice to recieve some profit on all the hard work I put into fixing all the razors up.

I want to give this a shot and just wanted to throw it out here to see if I would get any positive feedback saying its something you guys would be interested in.

A few of you have maybe even bought a razor or two from me that I have cleaned up and can maybe help build up my reputation.

Not all vendors are created equal. Not all vendors are businessmen out there trying to make a living. Not all vendors have a brick and mortar store.

I think the comments made here will devolve into confusion unless they obviously are referencing a specific type vendor.

StraightRazorDesigns.com seems to be a classic vendor establishment with a brick and mortar storefront, (for, as I recall they mention being able to pick up merchandise at their store.)

Other vendors are simply members on B&B who used to sell on BST ads. But, due to volume of razors sold, or the fact that they put up a website in their spare time to list their activities have moved into the vendor category. But, they are still little removed from a "regular" member in activity or mentality.

I think there is a difference between these two type vendors.

Speaking from personal experience, going from member to vendor simply meant that the ads I used to put up in the B/S/T section were moved to the vendor section, and so are seldom viewed. Meaning, I simply quit listing.

Let me hasten to add that I am quite comfortable with being required to move to the vendor section. I believe the request was fair in all regards. The B/S/T section needs to be for "regular" members who just want to buy and sell and trade informally without having to butt heads with those who for various reasons have become or evolved into some variation on the "meister" label.

It exists already - see SafetyRazors.co.uk

A good place to look, though i feel expensive as i live in the uk and can pick up items far far cheaper at antique stores and even on the bay, though he is a vendor and needs to sell at certain prices to keep his business going!

I'd definitely look at such a site, but I really have no problem cleaning up my own razors, so I probably wouldn't pay much extra to get one that had been cleaned up by someone else. I may have a lot of them, but I'm really cheap when it comes to paying for individual ones. It might be hard to make such a business pay for itself.

Then again, there are always naysayers like me before the start of any successful enterprise. If it's something you want to do, then try it and see how it goes.

You can do all that on eBay without having to reinvent the wheel.
Set up a store, sell quality items, get good feedback, market yourself well and you'll get some business.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
What would you think if there was a site like West Coast Shaving or any other vendor site except they just sold vintage razors and vintage shaving stuff?

How many would consider buying from such a site? As long as they sold good quality razors for a very fair price lets say the same going prices as in the BST not the ridiculous eBay prices.

I think I myself would feel more comfortable buying from the site as long as they had some rep. Then I would know I would be getting a quality item and not having to take a chance.

How about also something like a trade in program? Like you have 2 nice superspeed you want to get rid of and want a fatboy you simply send in the superspeed and get the fatboy.

You have effectively described the BST right here at B&B.

I myself, have already done this. And have no problem selling them. I'm now a vendor here (been a regular member for some time), and will throw a notice in the Vendor corner when I get new stock in the shop. :thumbup:

Top Bottom