What's new

The Shaving Cream Racket

I think this article has been dicussed before on here. As for "on to something," I think there may be some level of agreement on the feelings about canned shaving cream. However, ingrowns and razor bumps are most assuredly due to the "lift-and-pull" style razors and have little to do with the cream used. If you think you can get by without lubrication, more power to you, but I won't be joining you :p

The greatest leap in shaving pleasure for myself was when I jettisoned the gels and canned foams and started using a brush and cream. This was with a Mach 3 having followed the Gillette II/Contour/Sensor/Mach3 route on the hardware and the Gillette Foamy/Erasmic Foam/KoS gel/Noxzema foam route.

My shaves have since been enhanced by using Gillette DE razors and a Schick Injector

If anyone wishes to try the dry method then you'll find yourself shouting the moniker of our 4000+ poster

ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rob

I've done it all. Tried every gimick. I used to shave in the shower with a twin blade when I was in a hurry and it did work. But it was no fun. There was no ritual of the manly art. So, being tired of being suckered by shaving conglomorates, I decided to go straight (razor anyway). Dovo, Plisson brush for Fathers day replaced my EverReady, Crabtree & Evelyn Almond Cream (mmmmmmm) and haven't looked back. Travel is a DE antique Merkur and my old EverReady and cake soap. All for the reasons we read about here.
Try it if you like. All it did for me was save time and reduce what should be, IMO, one of the most pleasurable things a man can have.
Regards,
Zig

If I was given a choice and had to dump either the DE and single blades or the badger brush and shaving cream I'd dump the razor every time. I could go back to multi-blade cartridges - I couldn't ever go back on the shaving cream

This guy's a nut.

Irritation is caused mainly by two factors - razor burn (which he doesn't seem to care about) and a lack of exfoliation. If he wants to leave dead skin on his face, he can go ahead. If he wants to shave in 20 seconds, and leave stubble, that's fine too.

But, for me, ever since I started using a brush, a DE, and good soaps and creams, I have had completely clear skin and no ingrowns. As an experiment, I've started asking older men who have clear looking skin how they shave. The thing they all have in common is a DE and cream, even if it is from a can.

If I was given a choice and had to dump either the DE and single blades or the badger brush and shaving cream I'd dump the razor every time. I could go back to multi-blade cartridges - I couldn't ever go back on the shaving cream

No kiddin. I got my Proraso cream and boar brush about a week before my HD came in. The first time I lathered up and used the Proraso with my Mach 3, I thought to myself, "Even if I don't like that new razor, I'll keep using this fancy cream and brush!" Honestly, I wasn't that upset with the Mach 3, it was some Schick disposables that I had bought in an attempt to save money and really tore up my face that caused me to see what else was out there.

Someone should send this guy an E-mail explaining in a scientific way why a glycerine based soap/cream is needed to lubricate.

the only reason this guy can shave with just warm water and in 20 seconds is because his face is ONE HUGE FREAKIN CALLOUS, like the ones you get on your feet.

yes folks, this is what has happened to this man, you can do this anywhere on your body, take some sandpaper, and every day, sand the exact same spot on your arm, after a long enough time, your body will build up layers upon layers of dead skin cells in that spot to help protect that area.

This is what has happened to this man, and you must pity him for it.

No kiddin. I got my Proraso cream and boar brush about a week before my HD came in. The first time I lathered up and used the Proraso with my Mach 3, I thought to myself, "Even if I don't like that new razor, I'll keep using this fancy cream and brush!"

I did just about the same with a cheap boar brush, a cake of Williams Mug Soap, and my old Mach 3 Turbo when I started wet shaving and before my ordered equipment arrived. It was a great shave! I think the brush and the cheap, but real, shaving soap made all the difference in the world.

Tim

Well, it seems that some disagree that shaving should be as quick as the guy stated.... but does this work? He wasn't talking about the experience being pleasant, he was bemoaning big brand shave creams and the resultant negative effects on the face. Is shaving with just water and baby oil possible with little irritation? Also, I wonder if he's tried the products that most of us on this forum are accustomed to and if so, would it make a difference to him? Maybe someone should send him some samples :tongue: . It's easy to jump on someone that challenges one's inbuilt conviction of rightness (and, dare I say, smugness?). Don't get me wrong here, I get great shaves using techniques and products learned about here and from mantic's videos, and am grateful to all that contributed to this but isn't this similar to when someone looks at you funny when you tell them you shave with one blade and not 14 (or whatever the latest star-wars, whizz-bang razor is possessed of)? Maybe it's another case of somebody's mileage varying :biggrin:.

FWIW, I'm perfectly happy to let Mr LeatherFace shave any damned way he wants to. He's happy with what he's doing, and I'm happy that he's happy.

Win-Win, and all that. . .

I'd much rather expend my efforts on improving my shaves, and responding to new B&B'ers who have come here for a variety of reasons and want to take up wet-shaving.

-- John Gehman

well, in a word.... yes. It is possible with little irritation, but not on the first shave!

During WW2 especially, but even so during the Vietnam war and Korea soldiers usually didn't have hot water or creams to shave with, they had to use what ever temp water they had (quite often cold), pretreating the beard was totally unpractical (can you imagine a steam towel in basic training let alone a bombed out building at the front...).

Many times they would have shaven with simply a razor and water, possibly some hand soap when it was available. This guy's rant is basically ween yourself off creams by substituting oil temporarily then just water. Well, as has been said the face will toughen up when you switch to oil and water, then in time it will toughen to the point you may be able to use just water. No supple smooth skin on the face, but it would work.
In that vein, desprit times call for desprit measures, but if there is really any reason for this now is up for debate.

well, in a word.... yes. It is possible with little irritation, but not on the first shave!

During WW2 especially, but even so during the Vietnam war and Korea soldiers usually didn't have hot water or creams to shave with, they had to use what ever temp water they had (quite often cold), pretreating the beard was totally unpractical (can you imagine a steam towel in basic training let alone a bombed out building at the front...).

Many times they would have shaven with simply a razor and water, possibly some hand soap when it was available. This guy's rant is basically ween yourself off creams by substituting oil temporarily then just water. Well, as has been said the face will toughen up when you switch to oil and water, then in time it will toughen to the point you may be able to use just water. No supple smooth skin on the face, but it would work.
In that vein, desprit times call for desprit measures, but if there is really any reason for this now is up for debate.

Oh right, so it does wreck the face then.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Freemasons run the country! Elvis is alive! Paul is dead! Anastasia lived ... and the Tsar is living in Vermont! Shaving creams are a scam! Oh, and don't get me started on JFK! :scared:

Never take shaving advice from a bearded lunatic! :eek:sama:

I completely agree with this guy. We've all been brainwashed.

In fact, toothpaste is unecessary too. Just pick up a wire brush from you local hardware store and no more yearly trips to the dentist. Just take it easy around the gums for about a year while they toughen up.

Top Bottom