What's new

Greetings! First DE Shave this morning

Good day all,
Today was my first shave with my new merkur HD 34c. Lathering went well (Colonel Conk) and I did 2 passes. Only a few minor nicks above the jaw line, but my neck was a mess! several nicks and some razor burn. I think I got a little to aggressive down there since the growth pattern goes in every direction. Anyway, I used the merkur blade, and I must admit, once I cleaned up and apply a little post shave balm (nivia), it was a pretty smooth shave. I should probably get a good pre-shave cream or something, I did take a shower first but I don't think my skin retained it's moistness before I lathered.

Just wanted to share my first experience.

Sounds like your first time went pretty well. I'd say the key to avoiding the bad razor burn and what not is to try to find a way to go with the grain the first pass over. Also, make sure you stick with real short strokes even on the neck.

As for pre-shave cream or oil I never thought it was necessary..been at this 9 or 10 months now and I can get a DFS without that product.

You might want to look into a blade sampler though. I don't personally have much experience with merkur blades but I know most people around here don't like em.

I agree with going WTG the first pass. Map your hair growth if you haven't already and give it a shot. My guess is the razor burn on your neck is probably a combo of shaving ATG and too much pressure.

My advice regarding pre-shave products is to stay away from them. I find that they do not make a bit of difference, but you may find that you have a better experience by using them. YMMV, of course.

Stick with it and hopefully you have many great shaves in the future!

Oh, and welcome to B&B!

Welcome to the B & B! Congrats on your first shave with the 34... I had the same problem for a month with the neck. After that I took the time to map my neck growth patterns, and went WTG instead of just doing north-south passes, and hardly had a problem since!

I am using the Merkur 25c I think its called. With the Merkur blades I get a great shave but with the Feather blades I get a better shave.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

Not so bad, you don't need any pressure at all while shaving, let the razor and blade do the work!

welcome to B&B!!

The neck can definately be tricky in the beginning, just be patient, no pressure, and focus on maintaining a good blade angle, especially on your neck, it can be tough to start.

Dont limit yourself to the Merkur blade either, They still would irritate my skin if I used them now. Try some Personnas, crystals, Sharps. There all milder and usually pretty smooth for me anyways.

GL2U!!

Welcome.

The neck is the danger zone for most. Go over the mantic videos a few times and as others have said: map your face.

Top Bottom