What's new

Highest Regarded SE?

I know on the DE side of the house, the Merkur HD is mostly regarded as the best all around razor. What would be it's equivilant on the SE side?

Firstly I'm not sure I agree with your assessment of the Merkur HD being the best regarded all rounder of DE's. As far as SE's goes, I think it's a toss up between the 1912 and the Clog Pruf.

In general, it would be the Gem 1912.

Note, that SE usually means Gem/EverReady razors, and doesn't normally encompass Injectors; although an Injector certainly does use a Single Edged blade. :001_smile

Firstly I'm not sure I agree with your assessment of the Merkur HD being the best regarded all rounder of DE's.

I would have to agree. The Edwin Jagger/ Muhle razors are far superior to the Merkur line of razors.

I know on the DE side of the house, the Merkur HD is mostly regarded as the best all around razor. What would be it's equivilant on the SE side?

That's a pretty strong statement. I'd be surprised if most people here didn't disagree with you. The HD is a very fine razor, but it's more often a starter razor, rather than someone's Holy Grail. And there are alternatives available for retail that many feel surpass it (ie. EJ DE89 / Muhle R89). But to address your question, many feel the 1912 Gem gives the best trade-off between closeness and comfort. In my opinion, the 1900/1901 Gem Junior Bar lather catcher style is king of the SE's, but it's more difficult to find and usually a lot more expensive. That's why I keep several! :thumbup:

Last edited:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Every straight and injector is a single edge. I know what you mean when you refer to a SE, but for whatever reason, I just could never get past the notion of shaving with a boxcutter blade.

Every straight and injector is a single edge. I know what you mean when you refer to a SE, but for whatever reason, I just could never get past the notion of shaving with a boxcutter blade.

Huh? I thought I've been cutting up boxes with shaving blades all these years! :blushing:

... many feel the 1912 Gem gives the best trade-off between closeness and comfort. In my opinion, the 1900/1901 Gem Junior Bar lather catcher style is king of the SE's, but it's more difficult to find and usually a lot more expensive. That's why I keep several! :thumbup:

Agreed, with an observation.

I have seen more than one post where someone complained that the 1912 was too light.The most recent I saw even had a picture of a 1912 head with a heavier Gillette handle MacGyverd onto it. But, one big reason I prefer the 1900/1901 GEMs is that they are *lighter* than the 1912. Go figure.

Based on seeing a lot of other people's opinions around here, and comparing them with my own experience, I'd have to say that Gem 1912s get the most general respect. That includes a wide variety of very similar designs with the 1912 patent number on the head, and includes models with the Ever Ready and Star brands on them.

I find the Gem Junior Bar, with the 1900/1901 patent to be at least as good and maybe a little better, but these are harder to find. I've also gotten great shaves with the Bullet Tip Micromatic and the Contour II. Then, you'll find some love here for the Open Comb Micromatic, partly because it really is a fine razor, partly, I think, because people are just proud when they learn how to use it without hurting themselves.:001_rolle

But again, the 1912 is the one that ought to work for anybody, and they are still easy to find at bargain prices.

Last edited:
Not to stray too far off topic, but I remember the HD being pretty highly regarded overall here - although I have to admit, I haven't been very active on B&B for the last year or so and it sounds like people are really liking the EJ and Muhle's these days. I have to check B&B out more often!

That's a pretty strong statement. I'd be surprised if most people here didn't disagree with you. The HD is a very fine razor, but it's more often a starter razor, rather than someone's Holy Grail. And there are alternatives available for retail that many feel surpass it (ie. EJ DE89 / Muhle R89). But to address your question, many feel the 1912 Gem gives the best trade-off between closeness and comfort. In my opinion, the 1900/1901 Gem Junior Bar lather catcher style is king of the SE's, but it's more difficult to find and usually a lot more expensive. That's why I keep several! :thumbup:

Last edited:
Top Bottom