What's new

Tattoos

This board is filled with gentleman from all walks of life and ages. Guys who just took up shaving, to guys who have been shaving for the last 50 years. I'm all about the quest for individuality. Some guys get a car imported from italy they know no one else on their block will drive. Some guys buy 20,000 dollar watches to seperate themselves from the crowd. Other guys pay 600 dollars for a pair of the finest jeans known to man. I get tattoos. I wonder, in such an esteemed community as the B&B, what are your thoughts?

Tattoos are my other weakness! I think they are fine, provided you research your artist to ensure you will be getting excellent (and disease free) work. Placement is also a consideration, people just getting started should think twice about just how visible it is. A neck tattoo, for instance, could limit your career choices!

Here's my 3/4 sleeve. :)

full

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never had one done. My thoughts are simply, as a guy in my mid-20's the only thing I think I can confidently say I know for sure, is that the way I think and see things today will not be the way I do when I'm 30, and how I see them at 30 will not be how I see them at 35, etc. etc.

So, I just think that the chances are almost certain it is something I'd regret down the line. And I'm already pretty much past the point of social life where it's a really cool thing to do.

I see so many guys at my work, in their 50's now with tattoos they got 30 years ago that just look terrible, all faded on wrinkly skin.

And then, I know a ton of guys my age with really bad tattoos they never thought out, like my friend Mike with some big flaming shamrock on his back lol. Also, from being in the army I saw more than my share of those, like guys trying to get their regimental crest tattooed but it's so detailed it comes out looking so bad.

Decisions that you can't reverse aren't big winners for me.

It's all about your artist. Provided with a really talented artist, your buddies with these regimental crest tattoos would look so sharp you may be envious. I'm not nearly done, I've got my legs, chest, and back to worry about. I've got 5 random traditional american tattoos on my right arm, this summer I'll finish that up with more classic american type stuff, and some stars, diamonds and anchors to pull it all together to look like a sleeve. By the time I finish paying my monthly shaving bills, and shelling out cash to have the rest of my right arm done, I'm hoping to have enough money to outline and shade my left sleeve. That's gonna be very cohesive, a traditional japanese mask as a shoulder cap, spitting water down my entire arm, complete with koi fish and all that good stuff. I'm really looking to have it end up looking like the famous Kanigawa wave.

Never will I ever tattoo my hands, or neck. A promise I made to my mother, and to myself. I'm all for self expression, but when you move onto your hands and neck, areas you just can't cover with an oxford shirt, in this day and age, you'll just never be taken seriously. I'm too much of a man to spend my entire life thought of as a thug just to have some nice artwork on my hands and neck...besides, if I get my neck tattoo'd, shaving would be impossible for weeks! :)

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I got one, might get a few others. I pick the places where I get them and check the artist with what he did before, how long, etc...

I don't want to have any tattoo that show with corporate clothes but so far, very happy with mine, had them for more than 10 years!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
21 years in the US Navy, whaddya think?

All of my tattoos are completely covered when I wear a dress shirt and slacks.

All of my scary tatoos are covered by anything else I wear except swim trunks.

Some folks view tatoos as "the ultimate art, bonding the artistic creativity of man with the living and breathing canvas of the human body".

Some folks view tatoos as "the evidence of the depravity which lurks in the base animal within us, the haughty bird ruffling his plumage."

I just had them done to mark specific things in my life, as many do.

It isn't the devils handywork and it isn't the epitome of art. It's a personal thing that needs to be thought long and hard about before one leaps into it.

The proud and glorious eagle at 20 becomes the dark green slouching buzzard at 60.

Philippines, on leave and drunk....sounds like a tattoo doesn't it ???? Woke up in a tattoo parlor, but body was unadorned....still is to this day.

I've never gotten any tattoos, and probably never will. But that doesn't stop me from admiring them on others, when they're tasteful and well done. If I ever did get a tattoo, I'd want something unique and unusual.

Perhaps, I'd get my SSN tattooed in bar-code format on my forearm, much like the identifiers worn in Concentration Camps. This is because I often feel that my government treats me less and less like a Citizen, and more and more like a piece of inventory.

Kinda like the man pictured here.

I don't have any tattoos but I don't have anything against them. I've been tempted a few times but I've never found anything that I think I'd be happy with inked onto my body for the rest of my life. If I ever do, then I'd certainly consider getting one but if I don't, that's fine as well.

I haven't gotten one yet, but one of these days I will.

When I was fifteen, like most fifteen-year-olds, I wanted a tattoo. I asked my parents if I could get one, and my father said, "Sure. Pick a design and like it for a year."

I was 27 before I managed to do that. Smart man, my father :w00t:

Hmmm... I'd post mine but I heard dolphins, teddy bears, and unicorns are no longer considered masculine tat material. Was thinking of tying of tying them together with a rainbow, what do y'all think?

Well, I have gone more than a half century in my lifetime without a tattoo. However, I had some surgery on my upper right arm to my shoulder which has left a very long ugly scar of about 14 inches. I've recently just thought about getting a tattoo to cover up the scar, but it's only a thought since it just may attract more attention to the scar. I think it might be a waste to get a tattoo in that area if the scar is still visible...these have been the only thought of a tattoo on my body. :001_rolle:laugh:

Top Bottom