What's new

Tattoos

I did mine while drunk. It was a good impetus to stop drinking - which I did shortly afterwards. I look at is a reminder to how out of control I was. I have to say, in all seriousness, it works for me. I go to work in work clothes - dress shirt, pants etc. On dress down Fridays, people are always shocked to see it when it slightly protrudes below my short sleeve shirt lines

I have four, all done in the space of 4 years between 17 and 21. One on each shoulder and one on each calf. The shoulder tats both have meaning, the calf ones I just liked. I would love to get quarter sleeves on both arms and my family name down my ribcage. I'm in a professional field and live in AZ, so larger sleeves than that aren't really an option for me. The problem is that I am at that phase in my life when I can no longer justify spending the money one them. Maybe one of these days I'll win the lottery...

There was a time when for the most part if you wanted to see someone's tattoo they had to roll up their sleeve or take their shirt off. There are some fantastic tattoos out there too but at the same time I don't enjoy an art gallery unless I have opened the door and walked inside.

Sailor Jerry (a famous WW2 tattoo artist and veteran) had a saying on the wall of his shop
" NOBDY IS ASKING YOU!... IF YOU DON'T THINK YOU HAVE BALLS ENOUGH TO WEAR A TATTOO, DON'T GET ONE, BUT DON'T TRY TO MAKE EXCUSES FOR YOURSELF, BY KNOCKING THE FELLOW WHO DOES!"- Norman "Sailor Jerry" Collins

I have nothing spectacular, just a 2 inch cross on my left shoulder blade. Story is kinda funny though.

I went with a roommate in college as moral support. He wanted a tatoo covered by something new. In the process of waiting for the artist to complete Joey's tat, I ended up with one.

"It'll only take about 10 minutes and I can put a cross on your back."

He wasn't lying.

Thought I'd share...

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 134
It happened when I turned 50 but I had them done in places almost no one can see... the first and second were on my *** then I flipped over and did a couple in the front, one around my navel and the other above my...uh...junk! The last one is on my my upper back below my neck. What was I thinking? :001_rolle

I have eight of them. Thighs, forearms, ribs, and side of my neck. got them in my 20's and will be 42 this oct. Absolutely no regrets about them at all.

This one is a work in progress. I got it last week. 11 hours of work so far. I should be able to finish it up in a month or two.
$lighthouse2.jpg

I thought I had already posted in this thread but I guess I didn't. I have around 75 tattoos, mostly on my arms. A few on chest, stomach, and legs. I don't necessarily regret any of them but I'm in a different season of my life and some represent the old angry me, and not who I am today.

As for what they might look like in 20 years, who cares because in 20 years I'll have more important things to worry about like my health than whether or not my tattoos look like I just walked out of the shop.

Spent 10 years in Uncle Sam's Canoe Club without ever having gotten a tat. And now at 48, I see no reason to start now. Some people wear their art real well. It's just not for me I guess.

Frank

Top Bottom