What's new

Tutorial: How to make lather from a shaving cream with a bowl

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Great tutorial but I'm still having issues.

I mix up a lather and it looks like your finished one in the pics...as well as some other online tut vids I've watched. Shave starts well but by the time I'm almost finished my first pass and get to my last area which is under my nose and above my pencil moustache that lather has dried and cracked....looks a bit like a salt like. To me the problem was obvious to fix by just adding a bit of water which I did but what happened then was bubbles started to appear which I tried to get rid of but couldn't (well all bar a few anyway)...and to an extent the lather became too sloppy and didn't hold its body...sooo I'm thinking I made it too wet.

I'm using Proraso Green in a bowl and a Silvertip brush....maybe I just need to keep experimenting more. Any ideas?

Also, I'm not too sure whether I should apply my lather to a wet or dry face...this may be what's causing my issues too?

Use more product

what is the best way to lather from the tub to the bowl ? I assume the basic steps are correct, but how long do i swirl the brush in the bowl /

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
what is the best way to lather from the tub to the bowl ? I assume the basic steps are correct, but how long do i swirl the brush in the bowl /

It's a bit difficult to answer not know which brush you are using (i.e. size, hair type), which product and your water quality. General rule of thumb, soak the brush first for 5 minutes. Shake a few times to remove any excess water. Then gently swirl for 5-10 seconds (have a look at the tips of the brush, you should see that the brush picked up some products (between 1/8 to 1/4 inch on the tip) and then move to the bowl and build the lather.

Start with that, if you cannot get a nice lather, double the loading time and try again. Add the water slowly, a few drops at the time.

Perfect and thank you , i found a video on youtube and it said exactly what you said. I am using a Manchurion Club 2, and CF

It's a bit difficult to answer not know which brush you are using (i.e. size, hair type), which product and your water quality. General rule of thumb, soak the brush first for 5 minutes. Shake a few times to remove any excess water. Then gently swirl for 5-10 seconds (have a look at the tips of the brush, you should see that the brush picked up some products (between 1/8 to 1/4 inch on the tip) and then move to the bowl and build the lather.

Start with that, if you cannot get a nice lather, double the loading time and try again. Add the water slowly, a few drops at the time.

the pics aren't loading for me despite other members saying once they registered the pics loaded for them afterwards.

Top Bottom