What's new

Tutorial: How to make lather from a shaving cream with a bowl

Nice tutorial, I wish I could get that much lather from proraso :sad:. I blame the hard water here, will give proraso another try tomorrow.

Yep, I have the same issue. Hard water :mad3: But, when I put more muscle power into it I can get very close to this lather.

Wonderfully helpful, Luc!

The only thing I do that is significantly different is, I don't squeeze but give the brush one quick shake. That leaves more water farther up in the brush, but after starting the lather, instead of adding drops of water, I gently press the knot against the edge of the bowl from different sides. That drains some very thin, watery lather back into the bowl where I can whip it lightly into thicker lather nearer the tips. I find that faster and easier than titrating!

By the way, your amount of lather is pretty much what I get with Proraso or Omega and it seems plenty for 3-4 passes. It all depends on what's up there in the brush too, which varies with the specific brush and is kind of hard to assess in a photo.

- Bill

Well I used this technique this morning with a tube of The Real Shaving co for sensative skin and I got the best shave ever. My skin doesn't feel like sandpaper post shave anymore!

Nice tutorial, part with brush preasure was very important to me, since I tend to break things easily :001_tongu

What am I missing, I dont see any pictures....:001_huh: ?

Edit:

Now that I posted a reply, pics became visible....

Last edited:
Knowing how much water to remove from the brush before lathering is the hardest part in my experience. Getting consistent lather can be a challenge and sometimes it feels like the cream has a mind of it's own. One really easy technique that has given me great results is simply shaking out all the water until none drips off when you hold the brush over the sink. I find that doing a couple hard shakes and then rounding off a couple little shakes to get the last little bit of extra water works best.

I personally find this method to be much easier than gauging how how half of the water in the brush is.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Knowing how much water to remove from the brush before lathering is the hardest part in my experience. Getting consistent lather can be a challenge and sometimes it feels like the cream has a mind of it's own. One really easy technique that has given me great results is simply shaking out all the water until none drips off when you hold the brush over the sink. I find that doing a couple hard shakes and then rounding off a couple little shakes to get the last little bit of extra water works best.

I personally find this method to be much easier than gauging how how half of the water in the brush is.

That's another good trick! Unfortunately both cannot be 100% spot on for each bowl of lather. Depending on the size of the knot, your brush might hold more/less water regardless how you take the water out. I find it easier to adjust my lather if I need to add water.

M

mfells

I can't seem to see the images. Posting to see if that helps as per Melted's discovery.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I can't seem to see the images. Posting to see if that helps as per Melted's discovery.

Welcome to B&B! I will transfer this tutorial in Wiki soon so it should help...

I have a small question. Does the size of the bowl impact how much lather you get from a product? My bowl is rather small unfortunately from Shavemac. When I ordered it looked bigger in the pictures. I'm curious if I use a bigger size bowl/mug will I get more lather?

Top Bottom