What's new

Making comparison; show me your E1 SS...es.

I mentioned my Super Speed in a couple of other threads, but still can't put a finger on what its story is.

proxy.php

It's obviously a flare tip for certain, but the banding on the TTO tip doesn't match others I've seen for the age (it's a 1959, 1st quarter). It's got the narrow band for a 1960's era, but the tip is checkered like a 50's.

If you all could help me out, I'd like to see a picture or two of other members' E1 SS if they're out there, just to make sure I've not ended up with a mutt that somebody bodged together. I've wondered it before and am looking for confirmation- something tells me because of it's end-of-one-era/start-of-another date, maybe it's a "use up the last of these parts" design?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
That is the correct TTO knob and was even used on a 1960 model I recently sold.

For what it's worth here is a pic of an E1 in much worse condition than yours:
proxy.php

Hope this helps.

Great! That does help a lot. Searching only gets you so far; sometimes you've just got to ask the right people.

Most of the DE identification pages I've found have been good for zeroing in on a range, but haven't found one comprehensive enough to pinpoint this specific razor (by no fault of their own, I mean.... 4 quarters of manufacturing per year, (x) how many years, (x) how many models? The effort to compile all makes/years/quarters/models would be crazy!). What you've got there shows me what I wanted to know. Thanks again.

you know, I was starting to entertain the idea that maybe it was a red tip with the color stripped, but the plating is too pristine for that to be the case.

I mentioned my Super Speed in a couple of other threads, but still can't put a finger on what its story is.

proxy.php

It's obviously a flare tip for certain, but the banding on the TTO tip doesn't match others I've seen for the age (it's a 1959, 1st quarter). It's got the narrow band for a 1960's era, but the tip is checkered like a 50's.

If you all could help me out, I'd like to see a picture or two of other members' E1 SS if they're out there, just to make sure I've not ended up with a mutt that somebody bodged together. I've wondered it before and am looking for confirmation- something tells me because of it's end-of-one-era/start-of-another date, maybe it's a "use up the last of these parts" design?

The 50s flare tips had the wider band only on A, B & some of C years. I've got both wide and narrow bands for 1957. When they changed the band size they also stopped using the screw you see in the TTO knob hole and started using the clip.

My E1 is identical to yours and Doug's.

And if you look at the detail of the Red Tip handle you'll find there is no other SS or any other razor like it.

Len

Top Bottom