What's new

Purpose of Cologne

While I peruse the forums here at B&B, particularly the Cologne section, I cannot help but ask: "What is the real purpose of Cologne?"

You are probably thinking, "To smell nice, duh!" But that in not what I mean. One man may like Polo, and another Brut. I see comments ranging from positive feedback to comments that say that the person would barf if he smelled that. But I purpose that cologne is simply a smell that makes the wearer feel good. If Old Spice makes you feel good and smell good, then it is better than the $200 masterpiece made of panther urine.

What do you guys think the purpose of Cologne is? To make the wearer feel good? Or to impresse others? Or [rather painstakingly] please both?

I'm sure everyone feels different but I like cologne because it's like aroma therapy for myself and I find it adds confidence when applied properly. If the cologne is really good it's also nice to go to bed wearing a nice masterpiece. Some people like it because their spouse likes it. YMMV.

For me I try to avoid it at work, for numerous reasons related to allergies, but at home and on the weekends it's fun.

A bit of both, I like to wear something that I like the smell of and something that my wife really likes the smell of.

While I peruse the forums here at B&B, particularly the Cologne section, I cannot help but ask: "What is the real purpose of Cologne?"

You are probably thinking, "To smell nice, duh!" But that in not what I mean. One man may like Polo, and another Brut. I see comments ranging from positive feedback to comments that say that the person would barf if he smelled that. But I purpose that cologne is simply a smell that makes the wearer feel good. If Old Spice makes you feel good and smell good, then it is better than the $200 masterpiece made of panther urine.

What do you guys think the purpose of Cologne is? To make the wearer feel good? Or to impresse others? Or [rather painstakingly] please both?

First of all, Welcome, Ghost02. Great to have you posting.

I saw "$200 masterpiece made of panther urine" and naturally, considering some of my recent posts in the recent Cuba Thumbs Down and a general sense of grandiosity on my part, thought your inquiry must be directed at me in particular, while actually I am a big proponent and big fan of some truly humble and inexpensive scents!

I have some of my own thoughts on the purpose of colognes, but think I would like to hear from others before chiming in myself. I think it is an excellent and revealing question, and that the answers may likewise be revealing, even dare I say even somewhat profound.

Not at you at all cstrother! I was just getting public sentament, not directed at anyone. I made that part up actually, got it from the anchorman, it was a hyperbole to prove a point. Gotta love Sex Panther.

Well, civet extract does in fact come from the perineal glands of the civet. (Though it looks like a cat, it isn't.) But. I digress.

I'm sure everyone feels different but I like cologne because it's like aroma therapy for myself and I find it adds confidence when applied properly. If the cologne is really good it's also nice to go to bed wearing a nice masterpiece. Some people like it because their spouse likes it. YMMV.

+1. My job can sometimes be very stressful. For me, wearing a scent that I love is definitely aromatherapeutic. During the day I find myself constantly sniffing my wrists, my shirt, etc. for a hit of smelly goodness. It makes me feel good & helps to calm me down in the more frenetic moments. It's also the reason I love good incense. You get the same effect but on a much larger scale.

I don't wear scents for others. Occasionally I'll get a nice compliment from a client or a co-worker but really, I wear scents for myself. Because they calm me down (or sometimes pick me up, depending on the occasion!) and make me happy.

It's all about sex ain't it? Pheromones and such?

I would be embaressed if anyone thought I smelt bad. I've worked with enough people that do smell bad and I do not enjoy working around/with people with BO, bad breath, smelly shoes etc. I find offensive odors, well... offensive.

If anyone is going to notice me, I'd like 'em to notice that I smell really good.

And, it's a "class" thing too.

Gotta love Sex Panther.

proxy.php

I don't wear cologne to smell good per se. There is always going to be at least one person who does not like what you are wearing.

When you boil it down, I wear it to please myself. Plus, it's like any other collection, there is always something new to discover and try.

Besides all this, it's sort of a mysterious trade. You never can figure out what these companies are up to. What smart or dumb move they will make next, etc. The history of some of the scents is interesting as well.

From what I've been told, perfume was developed for the important people and was to help them cover up body funk. Bathing was taboo almost. Frowned upon. I can't remember the reasoning, but it was thought that it was unclean.

But, perfumes were used in earlier Egyptian times as well. Gosh, it's been a long time since any history classes. Egyptians used oils and incense.

They have been used for religious purposes to ward off evil spirits and to make a person or home smell better.

The variance is one person's "better" may be another person's "worse". Scents, like a woman's looks are subjective. Some like, tall, some like short, so the list goes.

In today's time I think wearing colognes is really fairly simple.

a) the wearer likes it. it is a boost of confidence or perhaps a relaxant. very threapeutic

OR

b) SHE likes it. the fragrance has turned a head, gotten a compliment, a question or some sort of attention. this is sought after again and again with usage of different scents and becomes a sort of a hunt.

And, of course, there is the combination of the two above "reasons" which make it all that much funner.

For those more involved I suppose it turns into a hobby. Collecting great scents, finding good deals, sharing with others what scents we have and that we like. It is great interest to know a scent can smell entirely different of different people.

I welcome you.

Are you a cologne wearer at present? If so, what are you wearing?

And yeah...I myself have been wanting to get a bottle of Sex Panther. I can't help but think it will be like STUD.

The company that makes Sex Panther used to make a juice called PIMP. I wore this to the club in my 20's and kid you not got asked questions all the time. Same thing happens when I wear LV, but those are not good questions....
Well, PIMP was quit. Some rumored juice was too strong with pheremones and caused women to go against their will so to speak. Again...allegations. I will say the juice DID turn heads and DID get attention. Good attention. Many nights me and the PIMP juice went out and came back with company. Well, PIMP was replaced by STUD. STUD sucks. Bottom line. I haven't tried SP. But, STUD is a dud.

http://romanefragrances.com/magento/index.php/stud-2-oz-cologne-spray.html

Romane makes some decent fragrances. Most can be found at Western-wear places. Keyword is decent. It's not SL or Caron house by any means. But, since being here and trying new things my sniffer has broadened and I may just visit this place yet once again.

Not at you at all cstrother! I was just getting public sentament, not directed at anyone. I made that part up actually, got it from the anchorman, it was a hyperbole to prove a point. Gotta love Sex Panther.

Sorry, I did not mean to seem actually put off, Ghost02! The problem with kidding around in short posts. It is hard to convey that one is awkwardly and ineffectually trying to be humorous, especially when you may not "know" me at all!

It is a great line (and I should have recognized it from anchorman, which is filled with great lines!) but I sure was not taking any offense. Read my comments in that "Cuba--Thumbs Down" thread and you will see my spirited support for all sorts of funky and expensive substances and scents "in" scents. So I would have been flattered if you were mocking me in particular! But I knew you were not, and was just tryng to be self-deprecating in the guise of being grandiose! I know I need better humor material I blame my writer! Very thoughtful of you to be at all concerned thougth. I again apologize for any causing you any concern at all. I feel the opposite believe me.

Anyway, I am truly enjoying your posts, your question inculding the way your put it, and the responses to it! A question that is not asked often enough around here!

I suspect that someone will be picking up on a picture of a bottle of Sex Panther as their avatar!

I think the answer to that question is built into the larger question, "what is the purpose of our sense of smell?"

+1. I have been interested in fragrances in general from a very young age. (I found b&b from a basenotes reference). I wear cologne because I like to smell good. But I also consider scent a part of how others perceive me just as I do with personality and fashion.

It's just another way of expressing yourself. It's like the clothes you wear, but instead of being visual, cologne is an olfactory expression. That and getting chicks. :w00t:

I like to wear scents so that I can get a hint of it from time to time. I prefer them to stick close so that I'm not driving anyone out of the room:tongue_sm, Close scents are also really nice on dates because if you choose the right one you won't be able to separate yourself from her. :thumbup1:

As Rick said above, Colognes were originally oils developed to mask odor since people didn't take showers everyday. Those big dresses women wore back in the Tudor days weren't for the style Gentlemen. And those silly pirate shirts the men would were wasn't a fashion statement either, it was to protect the skin from armor chafing (i'll bet that could get nasty) For me cologne accents the look and doesn't become the look. I don't like to bath in cologne just kind of highlight myself. Sort of an afterthought, ya know? But this is just my opinion.

rickboone1, yes I am a cologne wearer, I wear Polo [The Green Stuff] I just love the scent.

cstrother, the age old problem of typed notes stays the same. :D

I am quite happy with the types of answers I am seeing, I was expecting the opposite. Thank you all for great answers.

As rickboone said, perfumes origins were to cover up funk at time when daily bathing was not practiced. Hankies and gloves would be heavily scented for something to sniff when in a funky situation.

I think it then evolved into a finishing touch mostly for the the upper class and mostly focused on those who had to "dress up" a bit.

With the advent of affordable scents like Old Spice, it spread further. Advertising and marketing have pushed it over the years to the point that it's not just meant for the rich, dandies or toffs.

As to why many of us wear it now, I'd say it depends on the person.
For me, it's a combination of things. At this point, I mostly like to be wearing a scent that makes me feel centered. Vintage Tabarome and Habit Rouge Beau Cavalier are at the top of my list for that right now. I do have to dress for work a bit, and I like being a guy who is always well dressed, well shaved and well groomed. Got it from my dad and I've always been that way. It does get noticed.

As any of the other fume heads in here have learned, there is a fine line between being "the guy who always smells good" or "the COLOGNE guy."
If you wear frags a lot, the chances are you are "the COLOGNE guy" to some people regardless of your taste and discretion.

There is no "magic" in any of these frags, but all things being equal, a nice scent just may give you a bit of an edge over someone else- in romance or other things.

Last edited:
Orginally Cologne was used because some in Europe beleived that bathing everyday was bad for your skin so they used Cologne to mask the odor. It had to do with accessability to cleaning facilities and resources. That pretty much sums it up. Now over the past years it just caught on and became mainstream to wear.

I say wear what makes you feel good first then others, for you have to live with yourself, and they have to live with you not the accomidating you that is only half pleased with a choice made half heartedly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom