What's new

My first scotch

Well tonight I had my first scotch! :thumbup: Mcclelland. It was good, real good! I wasn't sure if I would like scotch or not. Now I just need to experiment with adding water and how much.

One question though, how much scotch should one pour for a glass? A shot, 1 1/2ozs, maybe 2?

My standard for scotch is a short tumbler with one ice cube, pour the scotch to just the top of the cube.
You'll find your own method, but that's a good place to start.
Ken.
Enjoying a dram of Sambuca before bed..

I drink nearly all whiskey neat. Usually in a 1 oz pour. I have a couple Scotches and bourbons that I will add water to, though I only add a single drop or at most two or three drops. But I prefer most without any water. Be very careful when adding water, you only want to add a very small amount, a drop or two will do. Any more in such a small amount will totally alter the taste and in most cases ruin a good product.

Which McClelland did you have--the Highland, the Lowland, the Islay, or the Speyside?

Honestly I wasn't even aware that they had different ones. I just went and looked it's the Lowland. It was all the store had for Mcclelland. How does this one compare to the other three?

I do not like ice cubes with my scotch and if water is a must (with some heavier strength whiskies), then only a little splash of it.

My standard pour is two to four centiliters, I guess it's something like 0.67 to 1.35 fluid ounces. :001_smile

Honestly I wasn't even aware that they had different ones. I just went and looked it's the Lowland. It was all the store had for Mcclelland. How does this one compare to the other three?
You should check out this little section of The Whisky Guide. Hope it helps to figure out some regional differences.

Well tonight I had my first scotch! :thumbup: Mcclelland. It was good, real good! I wasn't sure if I would like scotch or not. Now I just need to experiment with adding water and how much.

One question though, how much scotch should one pour for a glass? A shot, 1 1/2ozs, maybe 2?

My standard is fairly straightforward..two fingers. That generally works for me.:taz:

I drink nearly all whiskey neat. Usually in a 1 oz pour. I have a couple Scotches and bourbons that I will add water to, though I only add a single drop or at most two or three drops. But I prefer most without any water. Be very careful when adding water, you only want to add a very small amount, a drop or two will do. Any more in such a small amount will totally alter the taste and in most cases ruin a good product.

tim-I am an occasional bourbon drinker.. Thank you for your post on Evan Williams. Amazing bourbon for $10. I generally drink Knob Creek however Evan Williams held it's own. Appreciate the heads-up:badger:

If you are drinking scotch, quality scotch, no ice, and no more than a teaspoon of bottled water. No tap water. If you are drinking in quantity, then something cheap and reap your results tomorrow morning.

Randy

My dear boy, you have entered into a wonderful world. I'll give you what I do, and as you'll find people have different ways.

I drink my scotch from a double old fashioned glass. I like to pour about two fingers, no ice. Smell, take a big wiff. Then taste. let it roll back into your throat. Chew it. Set it down and taste it in a few minutes.

Then I like to add an ice cube, it'll water it down a bit, and bring a change to the flavor.

I say try a lot of different scotches from different regions and see foryourself. I think a lot of Islay Scotches are gonna have that real peatty, smoky flavor. I like Lagavulin, it's a bit pricey, and Laphroaig 10, which I think is more reasonable. Both islay, and really smokey.

On the sweeter side, you can try things that are port casked, or sherry casked, which means they use barrels from Port wine, or Sherry, and soter their scotch in those barrels, they pick up some of the flavor. I like Glenmorangie Port wood casked, and Bowmore Sherry wood.

There is world of info on Scotch on the internet, but it all matters only if you try different ones, and decide for yourself.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Try adding a few drops of bottled water and letting it breath for a bit. You may not know what you are missing.

Randy

Well, you may be right and you may be wrong. I will have to put your questionable theory to much extensive testing this weekend!

I like my scotch with a glass of ice water on the side.
Alternate sips, and there's just enough water left in my mouth to loosen the scotch.

Top Bottom