What's new

Newly acquired #58

Recently received from Jake, in excellent condition, minus the whopping ebay pricetag. A pretty little razor with a nice shine. And the case is pretty nice as well. As many of our members know, Jake is a pleasure to deal with.

Enjoy it Lando...I was second in line on that razor from Jake...have been curious to try out the #58 since I've heard it's one of the best shavers in the Gillette lineup! Do post a brief review once you've shaved with it...I'm not a collector so am very curious to hear about the shaving experience in comparison to the other Gillette British razors?

why did you tape the end in red tape?

That is not tape but a part of the case, a leather retaining ring to hold the end of the razor snugly in place. Not all of the #58 cases have the ring, but probably most of them do.

Nice, i didn't even see this one for sale in B/S/T or was it a private sale?

Yep the case without the ring is different inside, the razor is straighter in the box and the blade case section is sunken down under the razor (a bit).

That is not tape but a part of the case, a leather retaining ring to hold the end of the razor snugly in place. Not all of the #58 cases have the ring, but probably most of them do.

From 1953 to 1955 comes the case without this loop. Since 1956 they have this loop.

As always Achim...you amaze me sir :)

I'm still hoping for somebody to post a review of how the #58 shaves in comparison to the other British Gillettes...I've got the #22 and wondering if the weight/balance differs enough to warrant owning a #58 ?

Beautiful! I scored one off Jake myself...the 58 has the tightest, smoothest TTO I've experienced to date...better even than my #21!

Top Bottom