What's new

How to stablize the crack? - the Bostonian handle

I just got a Bostonian!

I'm confused: are these are the same thing as the New Improved razor, only with the metal Bostonian case? This is what I understand. Is that right? (and what's the difference between the New Improved, New Standard, and New Deluxe, btw?)

Anyway, it has the common crack on the diamond textured handle. I haven't seen pictures of a New/Bostonian like this, but the cracked diamond-textured cylinder that is the handle pulls right off of the neck that's attached to the bottom plate of the razor. Is this normal? The cylinder's metal is relatively thin, so I could see how it would crack under pressure.

I'm assuming that I pull this cylinder off and fill the crack from the inside with some sort of epoxy? Sound right? I though I've seen mention of stabilization with epoxy.

If this is of any help, the handle says "PAT.JAN.13.1920 U.S.A." around the bottom of it.

It's a very cool looking razor and I can't wait to shave with it. I hear it's good. Thanks for your help!

K.T.

I have attempted to repair handle cracks using this product, I think it will work but my first attempt didn't because i only tired to fill the cracks and wiped off all the excess before it hardened. Don't think there was enough then to make a good bond. What I'll try next is to leave more inside the handle but this will require sanding etc. to remove the hardened product which will take time. However this is the first repair I've tried so I'm NO expert, can't hurt though.

http://www.selleys.com.au/Selleys-KneadIt-Multipurpose/default.aspx

I just got a Bostonian!

I'm confused: are these are the same thing as the New Improved razor, only with the metal Bostonian case? This is what I understand. Is that right? (and what's the difference between the New Improved, New Standard, and New Deluxe, btw?)

The New Improved line can be kind of confusing. The razor is the same for each of the various sets, but the set is referred to with a specific name based upon the case. There is the Bostonian set like what you have with the metal case. There is also the New Standard set, which has a leather case (the first one Alex posted a photo of). And there is the Richwood set, which has a wooden case. Each of the sets (New Standard, Bostonian, Richwood) came with the same exact razor: The New Improved.

The New Deluxe razor has a slightly different head profile in comparison to the New Improved razor. There is a photo of a New Deluxe head that Alex posted (third one down). Note that the base plate of the razor's head is entirely flat and lacks the blade positioning posts like the New Improved.

Anyway, it has the common crack on the diamond textured handle. I haven't seen pictures of a New/Bostonian like this, but the cracked diamond-textured cylinder that is the handle pulls right off of the neck that's attached to the bottom plate of the razor. Is this normal? The cylinder's metal is relatively thin, so I could see how it would crack under pressure.

I'm assuming that I pull this cylinder off and fill the crack from the inside with some sort of epoxy? Sound right? I though I've seen mention of stabilization with epoxy.

The cracks are pretty common, but they certainly weren't made with them. And it definitely isn't normal for the head to come off the handle. You probably don't have to epoxy it to have usable razor, but using some epoxy to secure the head to the handle may help it from getting worse. I know that I've heard it recommended before, but I don't know what specific epoxy people recommend.

I used a fresh floral adhesive on mine it is a strong waterproof glue. It has been working fine. I ran the glue on the inside of the crack and around the top then put the head on and wiped off the excess.

Top Bottom