What's new

Bourbon

I am a Single Malt Scotch person who is entering the world of Bourbon. The first bottle I purchased was Jefferson's Presidential Select and I would like to add to my Whiskey Den. However I would like more bottles of Bourbon than pucks of shaving soap so my budget is under $40.00 a bottle (Lucky that I am new to wet shaving and DE) Please help with suggestions.

If you feel that a really good puck of soap is worth a good bottle bourbon please list that also

Chris

PS the Presidential Select is a great Bourbon

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
+1 on Elijah Craig 12yo

Maker's Mark is also very nice to start with.

Great Whiskey
Old Grand Dad 114 ($22-$28) is the best deal out there right now.
You can try it neat, but it may be more palatable with a good splash of water.

A great choice at the top end (or just beyond) of your price range is Four Roses Single Barrel.

Friendly Whiskey
Weller products are very accessible products that begin where Maker's Mark leaves off: fairly sweet, not bitter, vanilla, and a bit of oak. Weller Special Reserve, Antique and Weller 12 are good choices that deliver much more for the money than Maker's.

In this vein, any Van Winkle product you can justify the price for would probably be quite pleasant.

Meet the New Boss, Same as the Old Boss
A great change of pace from bourbon is its big brother, American Rye, which is starting to get its propers again after decades of being dissed. You might try ryes such as Rittenhouse (the bottled in bond version) or Sazerac Rye. Some would also recommend Wild Turkey's Rye or even Beam's Rye. All of these are in the $14-$28 range. And make no mistake, American Rye is the Boss.

Bling, Bling

Maker's Mark, Woodford Reserve and any Jack Daniel's product have great marketing campaigns and inoffensive whiskey. If you want name recognition on your shelf, check them out.

Here is a good primer on affordable bourbons and ryes on the bourbon forum. There probably isn't a stinker in the list.

Roger

I second the Woodford Reserve and you might try Eagle Rare. I have not bought it in awhile, been working through a couple bottles of Woodford, but I think it meets your financial qualification.

That Jefferson's is going to ruin you on other bourbon brother. That is some fine stuff!

All decent recommendations thus far. I'll also throw a nod to Buffalo Trace and Elmer T. Lee Single Barrel.

I've been drinking this lately. It is around $22 in Ohio if I remember right.

proxy.php

I like the Wild Turkey makings. Their Kentucky Spirit is really nice as are their Rare Breed and Russell's Reserve. The Kentucky Spirit is expensive but superb. For mixed drinks I like the Wild Turkey 110. :w00t:

Evan Williams Single Barrel is my current favorite of the more expensive brands. I save it for when I want something a little smoother than my usual Evan Williams or Jack Daniels...

Maker's Mark is my favorite, followed by Knob Creek.

I'm not a fan of Jack. I drink George Dickel if I'm looking for a Tennessee whiskey.

I think Maker's Mark has been making better whiskey than they used to.

Knob Creek is very nice, used to be my house Bourbon, still enjoy it.

Evan Williams Single Barrel is my current favorite of the more expensive brands. I save it for when I want something a little smoother than my usual Evan Williams or Jack Daniels...

EW Single Barrel is, as far as i'm concerned, THE BEST value out their in the spirits market bar none. It tastes far, far, far above it's price range. Do not snub at it because of it's cheaper brethren. It will not dissapoint.

Evan Williams Single Barrel is my absolute go-to when it comes to bourbon. I've tried many bourbons between $25-50 and I've never found anything that I enjoy more. The reasonable price is just a bonus.

+1 on the Buffalo Trace. Excellent "bar stock" bourbon, good straight, rocks, mixed.

Other highly recommended regulars on my own shelf:

Knob Creek (lots of caramel and spice)
Woodford Reserve (crisper, very good)
Four Roses Small Batch (smooth, smooth, smooth)
Old Rip Van Winkle 107 (muscular, lots of caramel and char)
1792 Ridgemont Reserve (smooth, floral, sweet)

Come October, set $60 aside and get a bottle of George T. Stagg from the annual BTAC release. Be prepared to weep over having to wait a whole year for another one . . . it's cask strength, deep and rich, and absolutely spectacular.

NANP™

Top Bottom