What's new

GEM Single Edge Shaving - I give up... for now...

I've been shaving successfully for years with double-edge razors (and a variety of handles, but my mainstay is the Merkur 38b).

For several weeks I've been trying to achieve good results with my GEM Micromatic using GEM PTFE coated blades. I even got to the point where I was using the correct angle, but the problem is this:
It's cutting less hair per pass and I'm getting a lot of irritation and weepers from only a 2 pass shave. I'm being careful with the shaves, using a light touch, but I think my skin is just too sensitive and soft for GEM blades. I think the difference may be that GEM blades do not flex (or barely at all) whereas double-edge blades and cartridge blades do (also they are just thinner blades).

I'll give it a try again later, because I want them to work, but I have a feeling it's just not for me.

I'm impressed that you have said that you're planning to revisit SE shaving in the future, as opposed to simply bailing on the whole idea right away.

I started SE shaving from DEs a couple of months ago, and while I still use my DEs regularly, I get my best shaves from my Gem 1912. The shave lasts/holds longer (regrowth is slower), has less irritation, and takes less time as I only have to do 2 passes.

The audible feedback I get from an SE also means my shave is closer.

I am one of the lucky ones, I guess, that got a great shave with my very first attempt at a shave with an SE. Give it another try down the line, I can't talk the SEs up enough....they're great.

The Micromatic can be a problem for some people... a 1912 or 1924 gives a great shave for me compared to the Micromatic

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I've been shaving successfully for years with double-edge razors (and a variety of handles, but my mainstay is the Merkur 38b).

For several weeks I've been trying to achieve good results with my GEM Micromatic using GEM PTFE coated blades. I even got to the point where I was using the correct angle, but the problem is this:
It's cutting less hair per pass and I'm getting a lot of irritation and weepers from only a 2 pass shave. I'm being careful with the shaves, using a light touch, but I think my skin is just too sensitive and soft for GEM blades. I think the difference may be that GEM blades do not flex (or barely at all) whereas double-edge blades and cartridge blades do (also they are just thinner blades).

I'll give it a try again later, because I want them to work, but I have a feeling it's just not for me.

I salute your vow to revisit it later.

I have to say that it is my personal belief that the small edge of the DE blade exposed and clamped as it is, is probably as inflexible as a SE blade with it's hold down.

If you are getting irritation, poor cutting and weepers, then I have to say that I don't think you actually do have the cutting angle down pat.

The GEM takes an unbelievably high angle on the face, and if it isn't right you'll get the same symptoms you describe, as you would from a Gillette at a very flat angle.

Perhaps it is time to give it a rest though, and enjoy some shaves before you give it another go!

Good luck!

Which Micromatic do you have, the Open Comb, Safety Bar, Bullet, or Clog-Pruf?

I have the Open Comb and get great shaves with it. All I can suggest is a +1 to the advice given above, and perhaps post some photos of how the blade sits in the razor?

Ditch the Micro"Junk"omatic and get yourself a 1912 GEM. There is a world of difference when you try shaving with a real SE razor.

Ditch the Micro"Junk"omatic and get yourself a 1912 GEM. There is a world of difference when you try shaving with a real SE razor.

yeah... micromatics are the worst razors i've ever used... EVERY other razor i've ever used has given me at least one bloody, irritating shave... I'd recommend binning it ASAP :001_rolle

Says the guy with the Gillette ad as an avatar:tongue_sm

Two things will result in poor shaves from the MM (well any razor, really) Too much pressure and/or improper angle. Some razors are very forgiving, like the Tech razors, other razors, like the MM's, are what doctors call, not very forgiving at all (OK, I don't know if doctors say that, but I was watching The Meaning of Life tonight and the mosquito net scene is stuck in my head:lol:) I echo the others in saying that it's good you plan to revisit the MM and SE shaving. I'm sure you'll get the hang of it:thumbup1:

Yeah, it's the open comb micromatic.

I'm still taking a break from this, but I think I'll hunt around for a 1912, so that when I do give it another shot, I can try something new.

I was a bit like you about these sort of razors but like you revisited them later down the line and tried different blades and a happy ending and in my rotation, so dont give up:thumbup1:

Yep, when you return to SE shaving, try a 1912 Gem.

Remember, the most aggressive razor is not necessarily the best one to shave with. Micromatics can shave very well, but your technique has to be spot on, and you'll pay for any mistakes. I think there's no point in using one over a 1912 -- with a Micromatic, the risk/reward balance is very much in favour of 'risk'.

Have fun.

Great to see the Micromatic still putting the fear of God into wetshavers.:lol::lol: What an iconic razor it has become.:001_smile Our fathers and Grandfathers must have loved them,judging by the numbers that were produced.:001_rolle:001_rolle Just goes to show,what a bunch of sissies some of us have evolved into.:001_smile:001_smile

Great to see the Micromatic still putting the fear of God into wetshavers.:lol::lol: What an iconic razor it has become.:001_smile Our fathers and Grandfathers must have loved them,judging by the numbers that were produced.:001_rolle:001_rolle Just goes to show,what a bunch of sissies some of us have evolved into.:001_smile:001_smile

Still, I imagine that Micromatic numbers pale in comparison with the numbers of 1912's that were produced well into the 30s AFAIK:lol:

Don't give up on the Gem. I would start with a 1912 which will give you a much smoother shave and then work your way into the open comb. I know it's Mr Guy's favorite razor, he's got his technique down pat so no problem. But it's hard on a beginner to the se razor.

Len

I started out with, and became proficient with the 1912, G-Bar and Featherweight models and decided to try an open comb Micromatic. The results of my first few attempts were less than stellar, but thanks to a couple guys who really like them, especially MrGuy and his training video and tips on technique, I stuck with it and now find them to be quite effective. My current favorite is the Clog Pruf, but I can get very good results with the open combs.

As others have said practise with a 1912 model and then give it another try a few weeks from now. If it still doesn't work sell it and stick with what works for you.

You may also want to check to make sure that neither of the blade stops on the MM is worn/broken and not functional. I had a similar problem when I first tried a MM Clog-Pruf and concluded that MM's were just too tough to use. I then picked up an open comb and did not have a similar problem. Upon closer inspection of the Clog-Pruf, I could see that one of the blade stops was worn down to the point where it was not engaging the blade edge. I have since gotten another Clog-Pruf without that problem and it works fine. I do agree, however, that there are better "beginner" SE's than the MM. The 1912 cannot be beat, but the inexpensive and commonly available Featherweight is effective and forgiving as well, as are the G-Bar, Push Button and Contour models. Lather Catchers are also fantastic shavers, although a bit pricier and more fragile.

Have fun.

If you want to be successful with SE shaving you might want to start out with a 1912 model, or a G-Bar or even a Contour. The OC Micromatic is the equivalent in the DE world of trying to learn with a Slant loaded with a feather blade. A nice destination perhaps, but not the place to start for most.

DD

yeah... micromatics are the worst razors i've ever used... EVERY other razor i've ever used has given me at least one bloody, irritating shave... I'd recommend binning it ASAP :001_rolle

Huh, this was my experience too.

Yep, when you return to SE shaving, try a 1912 Gem.

Remember, the most aggressive razor is not necessarily the best one to shave with. Micromatics can shave very well, but your technique has to be spot on, and you'll pay for any mistakes. I think there's no point in using one over a 1912 -- with a Micromatic, the risk/reward balance is very much in favour of 'risk'.

Have fun.

Well, okay, I'll keep one Micromatic, but I will try to get ahold of a 1912 before I judge the SE crowd. I recently gave my Injector (E or G type) "one last chance" and it really performed well with Ted Pella blades. I'm really pleased with it. The price of the Ted Pellas mean I'll probably stick to DE and straight shaving most often, but it's nice to have variety. Hence, my willingness also to try SE shaving later.

luvmysuper said:
The GEM takes an unbelievably high angle on the face, and if it isn't right you'll get the same symptoms you describe, as you would from a Gillette at a very flat angle.

Oh, interesting! I appreciate the advice, Phil.

Yeah, you don't follow the directions which is to keep the blade head flat against your face. You have to lift it slightly, and you can tell by the sound that you have the sweet spot.

The shaves last very, very long before even a semblance of 5 O'Clock shadow returns.

I agree with the majority here. The micromatic open comb is likely the most difficult of the gem series to master. The 1912 models have considerably less blade exposure and are waiting for you if and when you return to SE shaving.

Top Bottom