What's new

Shapton 16k gs

Just got this lovely stone, now normally im used to a c12k finishing off with a bit of chromox, i have just shave tested coming from the shapton, to me the edge felt less sharp, yet when doing a shave test it felt perfectly fine, could do with being a touch sharper but seeing as it wasn't put on chromox nor a strop that's understandable.

Does anyone else have such findings with these stones, the smooth finish seems a bit deceptive.

Im going back to a 5k naniwa, and progress from there, see what the shapton does to the edge then.

Edit Just nicked myself twice, very small so clearly it's sharper than i imagined.

Last edited:
Am i following correctly that you're edge from the Shapton 16k doesn't feel as sharp as the 12k followed by Crox?

For me, the shave is more about smoothness, i'd be very interested in your opinion after you've come off the Shapton 16k and then stropped thoroughly.

Sort of yes, what i mean is the edge felt duller yet a quick shave test resulted in two very tiny little nicks, partly as i didn't think the edge was sharp like that.

So my thinking is the shapton didn't put as sharp an edge as my c12k and cromox, yet it was sharp enough to shave with and be very smooth at the same time.

Im bringing out my full compliment of stones, and will go back to 5k to see how the edge develops from there.

No more than 20, im taking the edge back to see how it performs, plus it'll take off the previous finish so i'll have a better idea how the edge responds.

It's a lovely stone mind, great feedback.

If the bevel is set and the lower grit stones have done their polishing, only 10 or so laps on the 16,000 should be necessary for the final polish. Follow with another 10 laps on a Cr/Ox pasted paddle, strop on linen and leather and shave!

Should be a sharp razor that provides a smooth shave.

I've been using Shapton glass stones for a year now and this is what has worked for me.

Seems you are spot on, i tried it off just the stone, very nice and smooth but not as keen an edge as im used to.

Then i honed again and tried it from the cromox, bingo!!! sharp and smooth, a bit sharper than if i used the c12k, but the smoothness is noticeable, i can't wait to see how it performs on a face shave, i'll have to wait a couple of days before i do this.

So far im impressed, is it true the gs needs a light hone before each use as it slightly deforms?

Last edited:
I'm not sure, but I think there are some dimensional changes in both Shaptons and Naniwas associated with wetting and drying. Sometimes mine seem to be bulged in the middle when I was expecting them to be worn down in the middle.

I stopped counting laps on my 16k. Sometimes I need a few more laps and sometimes less. The feel is very noticable when you reach the maximum sharpness of the hone. The stiction suddenly and dramaticaly increases and there is no feel of coarseness.

After this I count out ten laps on my Balsa with CrOx strop. This is a winning combination, you may find something as good but you are going to be hard pressed to find better.

Agreed. But for a new user it takes a few razors to really get the "feel" of the stone, so to speak. Even the 16,000 is aggressive, although I've never felt I had overhoned one of my razors using one.

I have seen comments such as matt321's regarding surface changes on the Shapton's. I've either not experienced it, or failed to notice. Knowing me, more likely the latter.

Top Bottom