Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Anise

  1. #1

    Default Anise

    Do any of you know of a cologne or aftershave with Anise in it. I've found "Black Ice Shave Cream" by the Gentlemen's Refinery, but that is a shave cream and I use soap.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Round Rock
    Posts
    3,519
    Images
    6

    Default

    I've always thought Alt-Innsbruk AS/Cologne's "tobacco flower" has an anise or tarragon note, which I enjoy. Not to mention its fantastic healing properties and menthol kick!
    Bill

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,394
    Images
    11

    Default

    Lolita Lempicka Masculine (sp?) is absolutely loaded with anise. Great and unusual/original scent. Highly recommended, but sample first. Is it anise that tests high with women as being something attractive to them?

    The B&B QED cologne seems to me to have an anise note in it, under all of that pine. Not 100% sure. It may be just part of the pine accord.

    I agree that Alt-Innsbruk AS seems to have an anise note. I am trying to remember whether Speick does. Going by memory, I would say that Tabac, probably especially the edt which most like less than the edc has some anise.

    Probably an underused accord. I sometimes use a, what is it, "King of Shaving" shave gel that comes is a tube under a regular lather that claims to be unscented but is very anise in aroma to me. A really, really nice anise.
    Rob

    Help support B&B!

  4. #4
    Thread Starter

    Default

    Thank you

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA.
    Posts
    10,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cstrother View Post
    Lolita Lempicka Masculine (sp?) is absolutely loaded with anise. Great and unusual/original scent. Highly recommended, but sample first. Is it anise that tests high with women as being something attractive to them?

    .
    I came into this thread to plug Lolita Lempicka au Masculin. Absolutely GREAT juice. Has a lot of anise and fair amount of vanilla.

    By the way, anise is the scent that psychological studies have shown is the best aphrodisiac for women; so it goes beyond "attractive" and veers toward "primal."
    Randall, member of BOTOC

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Round Rock
    Posts
    3,519
    Images
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kingfisher View Post
    I came into this thread to plug Lolita Lempicka au Masculin. Absolutely GREAT juice. Has a lot of anise and fair amount of vanilla.

    By the way, anise is the scent that psychological studies have shown is the best aphrodisiac for women; so it goes beyond "attractive" and veers toward "primal."
    Hmm, noted.
    Bill

  7. #7

    Default

    Azzaro Pour Homme, Rive Gauche Pour Homme, & Opium Pour Homme edt.
    Last edited by Dewaine; 05-26-2010 at 03:39 PM. Reason: spelling

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    209

    Default

    My first thought was Lolita. For some reason I think of Body Kouros too.

    check basenotes.net and search for the anise note... (see here)

    a few that come up are :

    Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro (1978)
    Brut by Fabergé (1964)
    Eau de Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene (1996)
    Fuel For Life pour Homme by Diesel (2007)
    Havana by Aramis (1994)
    Number 3 / Le 3me Homme / The Third Man by Caron (1985)
    Opium pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent (1995)
    Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent (2003)
    Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka (2000)
    Michael for Men by Michael Kors (2001)
    Last edited by Master-Classter; 05-26-2010 at 09:33 AM.
    "Winning is like shaving - do it every day or you look like a bum" ~ Jack Kemp

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Paris - France
    Posts
    529

    Default

    Fou d'Absinthe by L'Artisan Parfumeur

    Fou d'Absinthe
    Get addicted!
    Eau de parfum
    Natural spray 3.4oz

    Hot and cold, spicy and soft, Fou díAbsinthe is a perfume-paradox, olfactory craziness, an embodiment of absolute freedom of mind, of the desire to break taboos and to have courage to realize oneís most daring dreams. Inspired by absinthe, the decadent drink of choice of poets and artists, this addictive potion is an aromatic explosion of green, slightly bitter absinthe, tingling spirit of angelica and crispy blackcurrant buds. The hot-cold sensation is enhanced by the alluring contrast of chilly star anise and fiery four-spices mix (our very own cocktail of pepper, clove, nutmeg, and ginger) and is carried all through to the base notes where dry pine needles mingle with the sweet, balsamic scent of labdanum, the fruity sap of fir balsam and the deep, tantalizing earthiness of patchouli.
    Notes: absinthe, angelica, blackcurrant buds, star anise, four-spices, patchouli, pine needles, labdanum, fir balsam
    Perfumer: Olivia Giacobetti



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,394
    Images
    11

    Default

    I would have to smell some of these to see what I think of them anise-wise.

    I guess that is right about the Azzaro, I think of Azarro as being lavender, but my recollection is that it has a lot of anise. Brut, maybe some anise in there, but not really a major note. I do not know Eau de Grey Flannel as opposed to regular Grey Flannel. I thought Eau de Grey Flannel was supposed to be metalic.

    I do not know Fuel For Life pour Homme by Diesel.

    Havana by Aramis, maybe there is anise in there but it is very long way from being an anise dominated scent.

    The Third Man by Caron, I love this stuff, but I am having trouble remembering exactly what it smells like. I sense that it does have considerable anise.

    I just got some Opium for men, actually. I will write back if I change may mind, but I thought Opium was rather oriental which means it coudl have some anise.

    I should but do not really know Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent.

    Michael for Men by Michael Kors, I have some "Michael Kors" which is a bit different than Michael. It makes sense to me that Michael would have some anise.

    I doubt that any of these hold a candle to Lolita Lempicka when it comes to being dominated by anise, unless 3d Man is, or I suppose Fuel for Life. Azarro has anise. I am having trouble remembering how dominate that note is in it.


    Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    My first thought was Lolita. For some reason I think of Body Kouros too.

    check basenotes.net and search for the anise note... (see here)

    a few that come up are :

    Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro (1978)
    Brut by Fabergť (1964)
    Eau de Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene (1996)
    Fuel For Life pour Homme by Diesel (2007)
    Havana by Aramis (1994)
    Number 3 / Le 3me Homme / The Third Man by Caron (1985)
    Opium pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent (1995)
    Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent (2003)
    Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka (2000)
    Michael for Men by Michael Kors (2001)
    Last edited by The Knize; 05-26-2010 at 09:50 AM.
    Rob

    Help support B&B!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    726

    Default

    Eau du Badian by L'Occitane has a strong anise note. I'm no cologne connoisseur, but I really enjoy it. It is very natural and not at all overbearing - I usually wear it in the summer.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Beacon Falls, CT
    Posts
    1,179

    Default

    it's weird, I'm reading all over the place that Azzaro pour Homme has anise, but can't for the life of me smell it in there.

    weird. must be parosmia!

    kidding.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,394
    Images
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Featherweight View Post
    it's weird, I'm reading all over the place that Azzaro pour Homme has anise, but can't for the life of me smell it in there.

    weird. must be parosmia!

    kidding.
    Very cute!

    I will really have to smell Azarro when I get home. Azarro is a powerhouse of all sorts of scents, but in my mind's "eye" so to speak lavender really dominates. But I have the sense that anise is definitely in the there and distinguishable. For some reason I would not have lined up Lolita and Azarro though. I am sure the fault in mine.
    Rob

    Help support B&B!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Greenbarrow GEMocracy
    Posts
    9,713

    Default

    Avon's Wild Country has Anise.
    <Ray>Uncle of Chaos Gurl, Captain Excitement and Little Biscuit.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    3,126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cstrother View Post
    Lolita Lempicka Masculine (sp?) is absolutely loaded with anise. Great and unusual/original scent. Highly recommended, but sample first. Is it anise that tests high with women as being something attractive to them?
    Not anise per se but close enough. Supposedly, a smell akin to Good & Plenty candy was the most arousing to women if you're referencing that same article I've seen.

    Lolita Lempick Au Masculine has the most prominent anise/licorice smell I've run into. You can't miss it.

    Many other scents contain a "dose" of anise but it's more sublte.

    If OP is looking to lure women, I'd say sample Lempicka- it's pretty potent stuff. Body Kouros and L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme also have some anise that's present, but not dominating. Both are first rate for dating imo.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,394
    Images
    11

    Default

    StylinLA is dead on. I tried the Azarro when I got home. I adore this scent. It really is lavender and anise, but those notes marry perfectly. I actually put Azarro on the back of one hand and a pure lavender (SCS) on the other. It helped bring out the difference between pure lavender and the Azarro.

    If you do not consider this over-used where you are, I think this is a good date edt, too. Very assertive though.
    Rob

    Help support B&B!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,394
    Images
    11

    Default

    I also tried 3d Man. I do not get tons of anise. Maybe a bit but nothing dominant at all. Nice darn scent though!
    Rob

    Help support B&B!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Knize View Post
    I would have to smell some of these to see what I think of them anise-wise.
    I guess that is right about the Azzaro, I think of Azarro as being lavender, but my recollection is that it has a lot of anise. Brut, maybe some anise in there, but not really a major note. I do not know Eau de Grey Flannel as opposed to regular Grey Flannel. I thought Eau de Grey Flannel was supposed to be metalic.
    I do not know Fuel For Life pour Homme by Diesel.
    Havana by Aramis, maybe there is anise in there but it is very long way from being an anise dominated scent.
    The Third Man by Caron, I love this stuff, but I am having trouble remembering exactly what it smells like. I sense that it does have considerable anise.
    I just got some Opium for men, actually. I will write back if I change may mind, but I thought Opium was rather oriental which means it coudl have some anise.
    I should but do not really know Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent.
    Michael for Men by Michael Kors, I have some "Michael Kors" which is a bit different than Michael. It makes sense to me that Michael would have some anise.
    I doubt that any of these hold a candle to Lolita Lempicka when it comes to being dominated by anise, unless 3d Man is, or I suppose Fuel for Life. Azarro has anise. I am having trouble remembering how dominate that note is in it.
    I think Azzaro is a pretty good candidate. Thereís pretty clearly something anise like in that opening, I know because I donít really like it.
    As for grey flannel, itís probably more of a lavender or violet or something but I donít know it that well.
    Fuel for life is some sort of raspberry but thereís also clearly a strong anise note in there. IMO though itís a much younger fruity short lived frag. Something Iíd wear to a nightclub if I were 18-20 years old, whereas azzaro is the adult version of that note.
    Opium is one of my favorites. I fell in love right away and was surprised later to find it had that anise note.
    Itís probably somewhere in Rive Gauche but I donít really focus on it.
    If Iím thinking of the right one, the juice is a dark yellow and has a square bottle? I remember it being some sort of spicey dried fruity leather frag.

    So overall, really Lolita and Azzaro IMO are the strongest anise ones with Body Kouros and Fuel For Life also up there.
    "Winning is like shaving - do it every day or you look like a bum" ~ Jack Kemp

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    CT, USA
    Posts
    22,381
    Images
    1

    Default

    theshaveden.com/store has anise ss, sc, edt, & splash in their store brand.
    -- Richard, Czar of Cheddar

Similar Threads

  1. Anise
    By Meerschaum in forum Shaving Creams
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-24-2009, 04:54 PM
  2. FT: QED Anise & Lavender
    By Aaron622 in forum Shaving Mall - Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-26-2008, 07:33 AM
  3. Anise SS, AS, EDC
    By mikem in forum General Shaving Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-16-2008, 12:42 PM
  4. WTT/WTS: QED anise/lavender tub
    By Drew in forum Shaving Mall - Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-04-2006, 04:09 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
By accessing Badger & Blade, you agree to abide by the Terms of Usage. You can find our Privacy Policy here.
Once submitted, any posts, images, or content become the property of Badger & Blade.
Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.